PDA

View Full Version : Your Best advice!

William
02-07-2005, 10:47 PM
I though i should ask everyone to write what they think is the best advices you can give those how are new to the hobby and visits this site.

what important things have you learned and if you feel like sharinging it, how did you learn it.

Neptune
02-10-2005, 03:01 AM
One good thing for any new aquarist to study and gain an understanding of is the nitrogen cycle. When I was new to the hobby, there wasn't much information on this and how it relates to keeping fish healthy. Many problems can be avoided early on by learning about cycling first.

Two other basic tips to help avoid problems are:
1. Don't Overfeed!
2. Do Regular Water Changes!

Overfeeding is common with beginners, and I think most of us have been guilty of it at some point. Excess food can pollute the water. When in doubt, feed a bit less. In most cases, fish don't need to eat as much as we think they do. If you do happen to overfeed and excess nitrates build up, this can be solved by........

Water changes! Water changes are important for the health of an aquarium. They help to remove nitrates and dissolved solids from the water. On average, most people seem to recommend a 25% water change once a week. Personally I consider this the minimum, but there are many different opinions on this. Some people change less, some more. The important thing is to find a maintenance routine that works well for both you and your tank(s) and stick with it.

Komar
03-21-2005, 10:30 PM
I agree that 25% water change weekly is a minimum. Invest in water test kits and keep tabs of the readings until you can figure out how much water to change, and how often, works best.

Also, invest in a good heater. Cheap ones can be problematic. I think fully submersibles tend to be safer, too, since water evaporation may cause the non-submersibles to crack.

Finally, don't buy fish impulsively. Do research to make sure they are compatible with the water conditions and the other fish in the tank they will be put in.

RiverStar
07-20-2005, 05:26 PM
How about do your research, folks. :wink:

tzelinski7701
02-08-2006, 04:45 PM
be patient when setting up a new aquarium!!! Don't stock the tank on its first day

Full3R
02-09-2006, 02:16 PM
I agree with tzelinkski7701 its best to add a fish every now and then not all at once, doing this will allow each fish to settle down and all the fish wont be swimming around franticly due to being in new sorroudings at once

darqmarc
02-09-2006, 10:32 PM
I'm going to second Riverstar's comments. Research is your friend. Remember that the folks at your local fish store are trying to sell you a fish. Learn about a fish before you buy it. Don't go buying the first pretty fish you see. I love going to Petsmart and finding like two dozen oscars in a 20 gallon tank. I once saw someone go to buy four of 'em for a 20 gallon and I stood there waiting for the sales girl's reaction. I wanted to laugh. But instead I shook my head as the girl went to get the fish out. I asked the family if they knew how big oscars get. No.

Do your homework.