PDA

View Full Version : A pair that gets along...

WhistlingBadger
12-30-2016, 11:31 PM
Hi, all. I'm going to be getting two angelfish for my 29g here in a couple months or so. They'll be in with a small school of cardinals and a few cories. I don't care about breeding. In fact, I've read here and other places that breeding pairs are more aggressive toward tankmates, so I'd prefer them not to breed, if possible.

So, should I just get two that I like the looks of, and hope they get along? I'm pretty new at cichlids in general, and at angelfish in particular, so I'm trying to get my head around their social behavior. What is my best bet for a couple angels who will get along reasonably well?

Rocksor
12-31-2016, 12:09 AM
Hi, all. I'm going to be getting two angelfish for my 29g here in a couple months or so. They'll be in with a small school of cardinals and a few cories. I don't care about breeding. In fact, I've read here and other places that breeding pairs are more aggressive toward tankmates, so I'd prefer them not to breed, if possible.

So, should I just get two that I like the looks of, and hope they get along? I'm pretty new at cichlids in general, and at angelfish in particular, so I'm trying to get my head around their social behavior. What is my best bet for a couple angels who will get along reasonably well?

Buy the 2 you want and hope they will get along. Whether you get 6 or 20, there's always a cichlid pecking order. If the 2 you like gets along great while there is 4 other angels, doesn't mean they will get along when there are only 2 of them.

If you do not want to deal with the hassle of playing tank roulette, just get one angel.

mac
12-31-2016, 12:10 AM
To be very honest it is so iffy. IME i have only ever kept on Angle on his own. No issues unless the fish could fit in its mouth. Larger tetras where what I kept with him.
Some times they work. Some times they do not work.

WhistlingBadger
12-31-2016, 12:21 AM
OK. I'll buy two little ones, let them grow up together and see how they do. Worst case scenario, I have to remove one and just let the prettiest one live solo. Correct? I can live with that. Thanks!