PDA

View Full Version : Possible Fin rot? Please help [emoji30]

BlondeSalvi
12-28-2016, 06:04 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161228/a6a2a7ffced31dc4fa211a1ef9608c66.jpg

Since I got him, about a month and a half ago, his fins have always looked like that. I just figured that's just how he looked but now I've become paranoid and wondering if maybe he's had fin rot this whole time and I haven't treated it. It hasn't gotten worse or anything since I've had him. I do a 10-15% water change every week, his temp is up at 78*, his water levels are normal, and he's eating fine and active and just being a happy little fish. So my question is; should I treat his tank? Or are his fins just made that way?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

madagascariensis
12-28-2016, 06:08 PM
Are you referring to the white fin margins? Unless the fin area is decreasing, I wouldn't worry. Some bettas have naturally white fin margins.
I'd be more concerned about what looks like a spinal deformity to me. The tail region appears compressed in the picture.

BlondeSalvi
12-28-2016, 07:02 PM
Are you referring to the white fin margins? Unless the fin area is decreasing, I wouldn't worry. Some bettas have naturally white fin margins.
I'd be more concerned about what looks like a spinal deformity to me. The tail region appears compressed in the picture.

Oh no a spinal deformity? Is this a better picture to tell from?

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161228/6e748bfed1fccda84c3f1d196d8bb45d.jpg

madagascariensis
12-28-2016, 07:28 PM
Your betta has a shortened spine. The good news is, it likely is congenital and won't get worse. As long as he acts normal, you can treat him like any other betta.

BlondeSalvi
12-28-2016, 08:41 PM
I was wondering why he seemed so much smaller than other Bettas but I guess that explains it. Thank you so much!

aquariumfilter
03-16-2017, 08:50 AM
I need to know your betta fishes were male or female and do you stay their in separate tanks and there are other fishes in your tank? If these are not then you have to keep each betta fish separately and remove the other fish with clean, fresh unchlorinated water. Before putting your fish in the tank the pH should be around 7-8, ammonia 0 and nitrates should be less than 40 ppm. When you confirmed the water is suitable for your fish you can add the fishes slowly with fin rot. I hope your betta fishes get rid of this problem.