PDA

View Full Version : How many Angelfish in a 125g tank

ErinO
12-17-2016, 09:10 PM
Hi all. We are in the process of setting up a 125g tank. The plan is to have a school of about 20 cherry barbs, a school of corys (not sure how many yet), 6 german blue rams, and angels. How many angels can I have with this stocking?
Thanks for your help,
ErinO

luke77
12-17-2016, 10:49 PM
I would say 4. I use to have 10 in mine at one time but that's all I had.

angelcraze2
12-17-2016, 11:27 PM
I have seven in mine, first time trying more than two pairs, and it goes ok if you have lots of territory divisions. But I remember having the two pairs, and I think I prefer that. Especially with all the GBRs. Too many angels and they'll take away from the rams since angels are always out in the open and top strata. I'd start out with six and rehome 1 or 2 when they start to pair off.
So I'd go with 4 or 5. If you really wanted to try a hierarchy angelfish tank, with the right setup, I think you could get away with 3 pairs in a 6 foot tank.

luke77
12-17-2016, 11:39 PM
For me I had 8 males and two female. In my opinion all males get along better than all females.

angelcraze2
12-18-2016, 12:28 AM
Lol, I have the reverse experiences. Of course, my tank I'm speaking of is only 120g and 5 feet long.

I have 3 males and 4 females right now. My males fight like crazy. The females they will accept in the territory, the males, not at all. They just bump them out though, nothing crazy, just the aggression heightens when a male angel approaches another male. My angels are breeding, that could be the difference too...

angelcraze2
12-18-2016, 12:32 AM
I'm interested in your tank Erin, I want to add more rams to my 120g, it sounds similar, I keep tetras. Will this be a planted tank?

ErinO
12-18-2016, 12:55 AM
I'm interested in your tank Erin, I want to add more rams to my 120g, it sounds similar, I keep tetras. Will this be a planted tank?

It will be eventually. Right now, i have fake plants with some live anacharis. We plan to get some rocks and slate to make several layers of caves to either side of the tank, with plants strategically attached. The middle will be fairly open, with some plants. I would like to put a piece of driftwood in the middle, but I've been having a hard time finding a piece that I like that will be tall enough. I picture mangrove root in my mind.

I was hoping I could get away with 10 angels, because the place I plan on ordering them from has a package that is 10 for almost half of what the price would normally be for the same amount of fish. Bummer.

Also, I should mention that we are currently cycling this tank. I meant to mention that in the original post, but I just realized that I forgot to. :)

Slaphppy7
12-18-2016, 01:01 AM
Welcome to the AC.

ErinO
12-18-2016, 01:18 AM
Welcome to the AC.

Thanks! :)

angelcraze2
12-19-2016, 04:48 PM
It will be eventually. Right now, i have fake plants with some live anacharis. We plan to get some rocks and slate to make several layers of caves to either side of the tank, with plants strategically attached. The middle will be fairly open, with some plants. I would like to put a piece of driftwood in the middle, but I've been having a hard time finding a piece that I like that will be tall enough. I picture mangrove root in my mind.

I was hoping I could get away with 10 angels, because the place I plan on ordering them from has a package that is 10 for almost half of what the price would normally be for the same amount of fish. Bummer

Nice plans. I used mangrove root for my tank too! Btw, you could get 10 juvenile angelfish, let them grow up and if you run into trouble, you would just have to rehome a few. Just remember, one full grown angelfish will need 10 gallons for territory and bioload. So 10 full grown angels take up 100 gallons out of 125g.

mommy1
12-19-2016, 07:19 PM
You could have 10 angels in a 6ft 125 gallon tank easily, even with all the other fish you wa nt. But they ALL have to be either male OR female. Trouble starts with not enough territory and/or fighting over a mate. That size tank is plenty of room. Make sure to add them all at the same time.

Rocksor
12-19-2016, 07:54 PM
If you cannot add in all at the same time, do not add less than 3 new cichlids with a tank that already has cichlids in it.

ErinO
12-19-2016, 08:12 PM
Thanks everyone! I really appreciate your thoughts.

angelcraze2, where did you get your mangrove root? How long did you have to soak it?

Boundava
12-19-2016, 09:22 PM
Welcome to AC as well. Great discussion on angels and cichlids. Haven't kept any before-but it is very interesting. Good luck to you and I know we will all be very interested in seeing the tank; empty, cycling, stocked, we aren't fussy.
:hmm3grin2orange:

ErinO
12-19-2016, 11:11 PM
Welcome to AC as well. Great discussion on angels and cichlids. Haven't kept any before-but it is very interesting. Good luck to you and I know we will all be very interested in seeing the tank; empty, cycling, stocked, we aren't fussy.
:hmm3grin2orange:

Thanks! I will do my best to get some pictures for you :ssmile:

angelcraze2
12-20-2016, 03:21 AM
I've never kept all male or all female angelfish tanks. I think females can take on the role of males, but maybe it doesn't get fiesty. IME, I've always had a pair form. It causes too much aggression for me. I feel they can't display and show their true behavior. Maybe it's just my own preference then, I like to see them breed.

So, yeah, if you don't mind aggression, you could keep all ten.....it's really hard to get rid of angels, I have found out.

angelcraze2
12-20-2016, 07:19 PM
angelcraze2, where did you get your mangrove root? How long did you have to soak it?

Maybe it's not mangrove root, I get them mixed, maybe it's manzanita? I bought it at my local LFS. Two pieces were attached to slate so I didn't soak them at all. The one not attached to slate floated for about a month before it sank. Lol, where it fell was where I left it!

Slaphppy7
12-20-2016, 07:30 PM
Looks like manzanita to me