PDA

View Full Version : Mac jumping to the dark side of reef.

Pages : [1] 2

mac
12-16-2016, 08:41 AM
Hey guys,

Since i am and will be doing a reef tank though I should post up on here.
1. For me to keep a eye on my notes and thoughts.
2. Also to share info together on what i need to get or think about.

So for starters I have seen a few things going around one line about filtration.
Just so you guys know here is LFS that is near me, which is only reef supply. http://www.livingreef.co.nz
From the small group that I am in whom keep marine in my local town say that they are very reliable LFS.

Now this shop has got a pre done kit which is set with tank stand lighting and sump. I know the lighting isn't the best. And also the tank is lid less which I do not like either.
What is the best thing to do in regard to kit set ups? Or is it easier to do your own sump?? Or do I even need to go sump?

Reason I am asking in a fair few of the guys around me into marine tanks are not using sumps at all and only canister hob filtration.
My understanding though is with a sump I am able to grow a lot more bacteria also some other required algae and food sources?
Next side is they are less visual over the other style.

To start this whole journal off my plan is to try and do a tank around 30-50g. Some were around that size is pretty much the biggest I can go.
My main stocking plan at this stage fish to centre around my all time favourite Nemateleotris magnifier.

So far all I have done is read keep reading and study. One of the things which I am gong to start doing in the next week, is bit by bit buy the test kits. Collect what ever I need so that I have got it all ready well and truely.
Test kit wise I am getting the red sea master kit. Well try to I may need to get one shipped from over seas. NZ everyone want to sell them individual and they ant cheap at all that way.

Please comment ideas plans and thought.

mac

mac
12-27-2016, 08:28 AM
Well guys my first up date.
I have started ordering a API Master test kit for the reef set up as a spare back up just in case.
The main test kit is going to be the red sea system. Actually everything will be red sea for the marine side of it.
As for the tank kit I am going to go for it.

Looking forward to some banter in this thread??

Marty.h
12-27-2016, 10:35 AM
I've always found equipment in all in one systems often fall short of quality and function and most people end up swapping the equipment out.

You better of just buying a sumped tank system and stand and buying the equipment separate

mac
12-27-2016, 07:01 PM
Thank you for the reply Marty,

I certainly know what you mean in that regard. It's always happened to me in that setting up any custom tank, is way better in the long run.

But this issue I guess is more location. Nz is a country were they are so monopolized on what they sell that finding a sump set up and tank isn't very easy. Let alone the the weir set up.

My main concern would be if I built a sump and it failed and flooded. That's my issue. Are there many decent plans that are ac approved?
Cause I am totally up for a build. But only if it is worth it

Sent from my SM-J500Y using Tapatalk

mac
12-29-2016, 12:22 AM
Hey guys,
Gotten back from the LFS and have had a interesting find. After much talking and discussion one of the young staff members at the LFS let slip there is a guy in the region who dose private jobs to suit what ever tank size i want and matches sumps to it. He also dose all the drilling and pre purchase of all the plumbing. Plus compahasive instructions for pump sizes and flow rates for the size tank. All made by him. So I am going to flick him a email get quote and save up and go ahead. At this stage the biggest tank I can afford in space wise is 30in long max. With the width I want it quite wide so 20in wide. High around 15-20in.

What do you guys think of this?

AmazonJoe
12-29-2016, 12:30 AM
I was planning a setup where I was going to use this over flow box (https://www.amazon.com/KollerCraft-TOM-RP3-Overflow-Box/dp/B002LYTE4Q) instead of drilling my tank but if you can drill a hole for the sump or buy a pre drilled reef ready tank you will not have to worry about flooding if the stand pipe is at a certain level and your sump can handle that volume. These are all things you can add in the design.

I'm not sure if you Marty have seen these over flow boxes and know how reliable there antisiphon capabilities are?

A sump is worth it for sure with saltwater since you can have your live rock/bio media and refugium keeping maintenance easier and adding nutrients in the sump rather the tank.

I think it will be a lot cheaper to do it your self :)

mac
12-29-2016, 03:18 AM
Yeah I can do a lot my self. But some times its nicer to blame others of it goes wrong. As for a drilled tank I could do that quite easily. Sump plan I can as well.

But it's more the filter sock system I am unsure about.

AmazonJoe
12-29-2016, 10:57 AM
What's the issue your having with the sock? Its optional really.

Just need to place it on the inflow of the sump to catch detritus and debris. You can keep it on the whole time however it needs to be rinsed often then. Otherwise you can stick it on before cleaning and what not to catch everything that gets kicked up.

mac
12-29-2016, 08:39 PM
The issue is more the placement. From a lot of the videos I have seen quite a few set ups with perfect flow rates through them all. More I should say even distribution of water.
my wife was saying to me last night that why dnt I make the tank my self. We have a Glazier near us who dose and will cut the glass required. As for the sump I am sure after some talking with you guys it would come out quite well.

Guess if I can get the tank built and made up for less than $500.00 including the sump then that is about $500-800.00 towards pumps skimmers ect.

AmazonJoe
12-29-2016, 08:42 PM
The issue is more the placement. From a lot of the videos I have seen quite a few set ups with perfect flow rates through them all. More I should say even distribution of water.

So the setups your referring to had multiple sock filters?

If it was me I would just had a slot for a sock filter above the first baffle. All the sock filter is for is fine particle mechanical filtration so flow rate is not a issue there.

I highly agree that by doing it yourself is the way to go so you can have the $$$ for equipment because there is a lot for saltwater lol

Marty.h
12-29-2016, 08:59 PM
Have you got a red sea rep out there as they should be able to get you a red sea reefer tank they are awesome bits of kit and what I'm changing to myself :)

AmazonJoe
12-29-2016, 09:03 PM
Well damn there you go a all in one kit looks very legit to..

mac
12-29-2016, 09:04 PM
After seeing what was in the shop kit along with the tank size it was about as much use as the word aardvark in black adder.

Maybe I am not quite explaining it right in the flow department. Though you have answered it right in the filter sock though. The video I saw was more in the line that all 3 filter socks were given equal amounts of water flowing through them at all times. Its was the shape and angle that he did which I did not get.

Talking of which with the sump I would need to do all the baffles out of that acrylic for ease of drilling?? How well dose that glue to glass??
Just googled nz and found a lot of what I need through many shops. Appart from the weir. Those need to be send it from over seas it seems. Else I am not hitting the right searches in NZ.
Or could I make one of them as well?

AmazonJoe
12-29-2016, 09:06 PM
Yea doesnt madder the flow rate through a sock filter its only job is to collect particles before entering the sump.

I saw a awesome trick using heavy duty weather striping for a seal lock baffle rather then gluing or silicone so then you can readjust or customize as you need. I'll research and try to find the link again.

You can use glass for baffles just a lot riskier for breaking is shipping cost ridiculous for plexiglass via online?

mac
12-29-2016, 09:24 PM
Na if the order is under 10kg and roughly 200mm by 400mm its around $20.00 Auckland to Timaru. So for you guys be around $13.00.
If you can find a link for it that would help a ton. Just googled heavy duty weather stripping seal and we have a fair amount of it. Just depends on what specs the one you mean.

AmazonJoe
12-29-2016, 09:33 PM
Here ya go mac! LINK (http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_3/cav3i1/Baffles/bafflesart.htm)

mac
12-29-2016, 09:59 PM
Have you got a red sea rep out there as they should be able to get you a red sea reefer tank they are awesome bits of kit and what I'm changing to myself :)

Yes we have got quite a few red sea reps. But the Kits tanks in NZ for lets say 50g are on and around $2,000.00- 3,000
And for some un known reason they seems select all the tanks which are well over 20in high giving in a pain in the neck for lighting. Also they tend to have cubes not more useful sizes.

mac
12-29-2016, 10:02 PM
Here ya go mac! LINK (http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_3/cav3i1/Baffles/bafflesart.htm)

Thanks for the link. Yes I can get that very easily and very very very cheap. Actually Cheaper than silicone which is 14.00nz a tube.

AmazonJoe
12-29-2016, 10:07 PM
Sounds like a plan! thumbs2:

mac
12-29-2016, 10:12 PM
More than a plan. Waiting until next year starts up then I will comence the slow set up and build.

AmazonJoe
12-29-2016, 10:20 PM
Are you going to add a refugium?

mac
12-29-2016, 10:21 PM
Yes I will be adding a refugium compartment. If anything I was hoping to go a bit elaborate with it as well. Plus a auto top of.

AmazonJoe
12-29-2016, 10:23 PM
Nice looking forward to it oh and take plenty of pics and throw some videos in there lol

mac
12-29-2016, 10:25 PM
Oh dnt worry I will be. Plus bugging you guys silly with questions.

mac
01-03-2017, 11:15 PM
I am starting to prepare now on paper the tank size and sump size.
Where I am really am stuck is options for the sump, really the entire filtration system as a whole.
Went to the library the other day, and read all the books on marine tanks. That done started some interesting thinking on google. This was canister filter vs sump.
As we all know sump people bashed up the canister people. Yet offer sweet stuff all information as to why. So it got me thinking, what dose the AC guys say on it?
Now when I say this one of the local reef keepers near me has been keeping his tank going over 10 years with canister filtration and AC110 as a semi refuguim, no issue. In saying that though he dose need to do a lot more work. Weekly canister cleaning. And in that he only runs Ceramic noodles and and Chemi pure elite, in the canister.

The next lot of my thinking is actually the plumbing of a marine tank. Personally I love the sump idea. All the stuff is hidden ect. But its finding all the stuff I need in NZ is like finding a winning lotto ticket. What I need is BulkReefSupplies.com to ship to nz. What is the best idea for the intake internal over flow box? The return I understand fairly well. But more the intake from what I understand set's you up for safety system. The maximum the tank can drain, and sump can hold.
To build the sump that is easy. Tons of parts around, cheap and supper easy. Also return pumps and plumbing simple to deal with and purchase. But a proper looking internal over flow box in nz not simple to find. What do people do here in regard's to this for diy?

Slaphppy7
01-03-2017, 11:21 PM
Plus bugging you guys silly with questions.

You won't be bugging me at all, I know zilch about SW tanks, but I'll still tag along and learn with you :22:

AmazonJoe
01-03-2017, 11:44 PM
You can drill the tank and add a stand pipe and create a enclosure around it.

Like this for example

AmazonJoe
01-04-2017, 12:10 AM
various stand pipe over flow styles/setups (http://gmacreef.com/aquarium-overflows-durso-herbie-and-bean-setups/)
^^link^^

Thought this was perfect since it said gmac reefs

Marty.h
01-04-2017, 01:08 AM
That's the same standpipe system I run called a "durso"

As you are drilling a tank if you fit a weir like above then the water in a power of situation will only ever syphon down to the height of the weir just make sure weir is sealed well to tank.

Emergency overflow as it's called is there incase your durso blocks this is simply a strait pipe that comes up from another hole in the weir section and is cut just above the height of the durso so in the event of durso blocking it will run down that emergency overflow.

On the main feed to sump from durso fit a ball valve this allows for fine tuning of the system to stop bubbling and noise in the sump.

The sump construction is simple look at diagrams online make sure you have a bubble trap before return pump section this will stop micro bubbles.

With regards to plumbing and bulk heads a lot of people use pipe from a builders merchant you must have them over there that sell plastic plumbing parts.

If you have anymore questions fire away if I can answer them I will :)

mac
01-04-2017, 01:33 AM
Went down to a plumbing shop and found all the stuff i need pipe wise. Everything from drilling the tank to having a plumbing to go through the hole to seal it ect.
Costing roughly $100.00 for all the parts, glues and tapes ect.

With that sorted the sump it self I think I see. Dads done a life of Multiple trades. Fitter and turner engineer. [Rare types these days] Plumber. Electrical. And web builder.
So I am sure between the two of us the fit out is simple. He has check the basic plan over and can't see it going wrong. As long as the pump section is not to large a volume that that it over fills the tank, in case of intake blockage.

I have read re read articles of options in setting it up, hence why I prefer the sump option. But I really like to see all the options. Biggest part would be to see a tank fully done thats not a factory one. But very few people around me have any that are not kits, or run canister filters ect. So mostly google youtube and of course you guys.

AmazonJoe
01-04-2017, 01:38 AM
Sounds great just keep us posted and will help along the way to the best DIY saltwater tank in NZ ;)

mac
01-04-2017, 02:03 AM
Sounds great just keep us posted and will help along the way to the best DIY saltwater tank in NZ ;)

In saying that I will place a brand name on it if william dose not mind. A tribute to Aquatic Community.com
Just before I forget it seems I can do a system of around 70g including sump. Now as for the top I plan to do a more rectuglare square not high. How will that go?

AmazonJoe
01-04-2017, 02:56 AM
More of a shorter square tank? Why not it's your setup :)

AmazonJoe
01-04-2017, 02:33 PM
Can't wait to setup my own reef tank in the mean time I live through yours Mac!

mac
01-06-2017, 11:11 AM
The time has come for a basic shopping list for the tank.

Tank measurements at this stage will be 27in long 27in wide 15in high. Rough price for glass for both sump and tank will be $380 ish. And about $40.00 Silicone.
Tank stand will possibly cost around $400.00 In load bearing adjustable lockable wheels. $300 on timber. $100.00 314 stainless screws.
$150.00 in plumbing.

Roughly $1370.00

Shopping list.

Aqua Illumination Prime HD Possibly more likely to get Radion G4 LED XR 30w
$349.00 $1,149.00

Eheim Compact 600
$74.20
Hydor Smart Level ATO
$119.50
Hydro Koralia Smart Wave Controller
$193.90
Hydro Koralia Evolution 3200
$129.20
Hydro Koralia Evolution 1600
$97.20
Reef Octopus in Sump Skimmer
$395.00

Total
$2745.5 with the better lighting. Around $1900 with the prime lighting.

So the grand total is just over 4k. Thats not at all expensive in my eyes. Most of the gear is semi top line. Some of which I have well over budgeted for. Considering the work account means I get timber and building supplies at half price. So there is savings to be made.

As for the tank supplies that isn't on specials either so, if I save up and hunt around I am sure to get a lot of this cheaper.
So far its about $1,000.00 more expensive than a kit. But the kits are not in the size I want. Or the quality I am going to make the stand shelving ect. Also when its able to move around on wheels.

Please give me some thoughts as to this list. And options to get or not to get. Also remember that I may not be able to get everything that most of you guys get.

AmazonJoe
01-06-2017, 11:19 AM
Yea top of the line is right nice list :22:

mac
01-06-2017, 10:12 PM
My wife will more than likely scream, when she hear's the cost. But in saying that it is actually only 2k more expensive than a standard red sea reef ready kit. And you can't just roll them around or adjust them for level easily. Also the kit still needs to have some better lighting added. So you end up scrapping the old light. Also the skimmer in them isn't to flash. Return pump I could find better. Then comes the size. To fit the location I want the tanks they have would be a 30g or 50g cube. But its the stand I dot want. Not enough space or plan. The one I am doing will be bit bigger and have the ability to have more storage for the gear I want. Plus as you know I am running a fair amount of Autimation as well. So some of the startdard stuff just dose not cut it.

What are some of your thoughts guys?

Marty.h
01-06-2017, 10:39 PM
don't tell the wife that's my best advice haha

mac
01-06-2017, 10:44 PM
Well she dose want us to get a 06 Lexus LS430. Which is only around 14k in nz. So not that bad a issue.
Guess the joy is though, we can always build on the idea. Watch for sales. And bit by bit make it all work out well.

mac
02-14-2017, 07:23 AM
Well my wife had a idea and so did i. The sump idea has finally made sense to me. Only if I do a over head sump. Feel safer that way than the normal way.
But if I do the reef tank in my garage not the house space is better allowing for a longer tank. Plus many more up sides. Only down side is I will i am sure need a chiller for summer to keep it perfect. And also decent back up power incase. Since I have found a lot of new suppliers in NZ and the laws have changed a bit Corals are cheaper and also found a vast frag sharing group in NZ.

So this maybe soon than I thought.

Slaphppy7
02-14-2017, 01:22 PM
Looking forward to the build, though SW is all Greek to me, so I won't be any help, lol.

mac
02-25-2017, 07:06 AM
Been busy looking at the over head sump and working out a plan to make it work in the shed. Thus far I have sorted out a automated cooling system. Also twin back up aeration supply, that is battery powered just incase of a power outage.

So far the Power head, plumbing and the sump system should only cost me close to $300.00 all up. Heaters, lighting about $800.00 Back up air system is around $150.00
30 gallon long is about $150.00. All that is left is the basic bits and bobs for the tank it self.

Those prices seem much more easier to swallow this round. Some how the plumbing cost is dirty cheap with over head. To the point I can't see why you would want to bother going with a conventional option?

mac
03-19-2017, 03:10 AM
Update time.

So the read system is now taking steps towaeds functioning. Firstly there is a nice new bare glass tank that I am picking up next Friday after work. It's a 40g set up with out the sump.

Today I purchased the sump container. Being a over head sump the work involved in making the system to work is very simple. Some ply and a few right angle brackets rated to 50kg.

Due to high ristrictions I will have to do a hob skimmer. But that isn't issue as far as I am concerned.

Will up date with pics on the plan once I get the tank purchased.

flchamp89
03-19-2017, 03:15 AM
Sounds good mac. I think tomorrow im tearing my plants out going back to sw

mac
03-19-2017, 03:25 AM
You missing it to much??

Can't you do both??

flchamp89
03-19-2017, 11:26 AM
I gave the other tank I was building to someone at work. I think time wise I need only one tank.

mac
03-19-2017, 09:13 PM
Well then a sw would more than likerly be the best option for you then

mac
03-21-2017, 02:17 AM
Now confession time.
There has been quite a large amount of research that has been done on my part prior to doing anything with the marine set up. And in saying that there will be no love stock purchase for quite and time. That or even get water in the tank.

My main goal is to understand the sump and work out the system prior to even looking into the other sides of the marine hobby.

Now with the sump system, there is quite a lot of conflicting information thus far regarding filter socks.

And also very little or minimal information regarding the best option for filtration in the sump it self. Dose any one have more useful clear spoken links they can post that is explaining the options I have for the sump better than what's been shown on the web thus far?

TexChuck
03-21-2017, 03:24 AM
Hey Mac -

Glad to hear this is coming along !!!! I've been doing a TON of research myself. There's a ton of stuff online, but the best filtration reads I've read so far are unfortunately not online... New Marine Aquarium, Paletta, and Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Fenner.

I found a ton of conflicting info especially when it comes to tech and gadgets, and I like these older books, because it seems like there are some basic principles that haven't changed that much over time...

First, lots of live rock. I've seen everywhere from 1-2#/gal listed, but like the volume suggestions better, fill 1/3 of the display tank with live rock. (Or seed dead rock with a little bit of live) Then, lots of water... Same reason as in FW, and main purpose of a sump. Next, best skimmer you can buy/fit in your sump/ (or in your case, HOB), and everything else is kinda optional.

What about a small area for forced filtration through floss, and a refugium for the bulk of your sump, since you'll have your skimmer HOB?

mac
03-21-2017, 05:19 AM
That's more of the idea where I am unsure. How much area is needed for the forced filtration?? Refugium I am eager to do as well.

TexChuck
03-21-2017, 02:11 PM
Since you're doing sump stacked on top and will have return pump in display tank? Then water comes down through mech filtration/floss maybe 1/4-1/3 of sump, then fuge in the rest?

Marty.h
03-21-2017, 08:27 PM
As you are going sump above you will find it more difficult to keep the surface of the DT clean and free of oils.

Only issue with being overhead is you need to make sure the DT can take the water from above in a power outage also if it gets blocked on the return to DT it will flood over you going to have any emergency.

Having not read all the way back is there any reason for going above as having it underneath would be a much better option in my opinion.

mac
03-21-2017, 09:19 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170321/32105d4a8be98de2ce86ea40788b5dd9.jpg

The stand on the left hand side is the only place I have for the marine tank. Since the tank is on the lower leval there is no room at all for the sump to fit under it.

As for another place to fit it. That isn't going to Happen very well. That stand is made to be able to shift the 100g up top And the lower section with a 100g on a pallet lifter. So if in the future I go to move house, that works well for me.

As for doing a sump under the tank that would mean waiting to the end of the year till the next stage of the fish room happens. Plus deleting multiple tanks from the shelves area.

Unsure what your meaning with DT.
Assuming it drain tank?

Re blocking. That is quite easy to minise the risk from over filling the sump. Height probe and sensore.

AmazonJoe
03-21-2017, 11:49 PM
He means display tank Mac or also could call it the main tank. This is a issue if you lose power wouldnt the water drain from sump into the DT(display tank) could you add a check valve in the pipe so it can't flow back ?

Edit: oh just saw the re blocking and height sensor and probe I'm not familiar with that? Pics?? :)

mac
03-22-2017, 02:17 AM
Nope there is no way on earth it could drain back in, from the inflow or the out flow. I see where the issue is here.

Instead of having a hole at the bottom of the sump to pump in or return.

My plain is to only have one hole drilled into the out flow of the sump. Other wise the water will be pumped up onto the top of the sump. Then from there it can be as noisy as it want trickle into the sump.

That way if the power cuts only the water in the pipe from the pump will flow back. As for the sump it will only out flow to bellow the exit hole. Only danger is the exit hole getting blocked. This I a thinking of adding some sort of final redundancy option so it can't block up.
Which is where I would also add a sensore so that it can't over full in-case of a blockage.

Hope I have explained it well. To be honest from what I have seen with the under tank sumps I would not like to trust one vs a over head. Less chance of issue

mac
03-24-2017, 05:06 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170324/43982657f048b38d6a3bbc8095ff66fd.jpg

Finally the reef tank has arrived 40g in size. Now time to pain the back and start work on setting it all up. Well over the next couple of months.

waylon101
03-26-2017, 05:48 PM
Cool looking tank Mac! thumbs2:

mac
03-26-2017, 09:14 PM
Thanks Waylon.
What I find funny in Ozzie the tanks around 80-100 AUD. Which is not much higher than the NZD. While in our north island the tanks is around 130ish. While down lower south island the laction on the main air ports and shipping the cost is 150-200. Then if I got the tank cut to size for me from a glazier that would have been $50.00. And a box of beer for gluing it. The only catch is I would need to wait a few months to get it. And I need to the tank to start making the sump.

TexChuck
03-27-2017, 01:28 AM
Great looking tank Mac!! I can't wait to see this come together over the next few months.

mac
03-27-2017, 11:19 PM
Dnt fret it will start soon.

And I will be sure to get pic heavy.

TexChuck
03-27-2017, 11:46 PM
Awesome, would love to see the rocks you've been collecting !!! You're a better photographer than me that's for sure.

mac
04-07-2017, 05:30 AM
Well tonight since it's Friday night in nz. I am starting the sump.

Guess how much all this cost.

Slaphppy7
04-07-2017, 12:03 PM
You got it for free......?

mac
04-07-2017, 09:52 PM
Not quite. But more or less free in comparison to getting one made here.

$20.00 for the acrylic. $10.00 for the plumbing parts. Talking of which I made a mistake. Dad corrected me. The plumbing shops in my town only stock basics. If you want a full selection of plumbing parts you need to go to a metal working engineer shop. Um mac bangs Head on wall. Can you guys send me some of your hard ware shops please.

And the sump container is $20.00.

Slaphppy7
04-07-2017, 10:19 PM
Not bad at all, for what you got.

What kind of fancy plumbing parts do you need?

mac
04-07-2017, 10:51 PM
Quite a few really. It's more the sizes I want. The stuff in most shops do not get small enough for me. 20mm is small diamaiter.

mac
04-10-2017, 05:16 AM

More work on the sump.

waylon101
04-10-2017, 09:45 PM
Interesting Design

mac
04-11-2017, 12:17 AM
More or less the chance of it flooding is very low. More so with rain emergency over flow. And gravity return

mac
04-12-2017, 09:24 AM
Flue permitting and weather permitting I am planning to got to a few aquarium related shops in the big city.
Dose any one have some suggestions of things to get for the marine tank shopping list.

Talking of weather permitting our weather has been changed to expect unto 400mm over the next 6hours. Which is a lot of rain on our east coast and north island.

TexChuck
04-13-2017, 03:53 PM
Get to feeling better! Look for fish books I say :) Take pics of what you see, too.

Question about your sump -- how rigid is the container? I'm wondering how much it will flex when filled, and if that will cause problems with your silicone joints.

mac
04-13-2017, 09:58 PM
Get to feeling better! Look for fish books I say :) Take pics of what you see, too.

Question about your sump -- how rigid is the container? I'm wondering how much it will flex when filled, and if that will cause problems with your silicone joints.
The container is pretty stiff. But after a test once all was siliconed up it held but not enough for me. So I will cut up 6mm glass and do a glass one. More so more easier to work on that that acylic stuff with plastic.

Which sucks cause I need to drill two 19mm holes

Slaphppy7
04-13-2017, 10:08 PM
I need to find a nice link or two about sumps for aquariums, and how they are designed to work....I've never dealt with one before.

Any offers greatly appreciated.

mac
04-13-2017, 10:25 PM
I need to find a nice link or two about sumps for aquariums, and how they are designed to work....I've never dealt with one before.

Any offers greatly appreciated.

https://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=14&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiVhvzguqLTAhVHGZQKHdYJCYEQFgheMA0&url=https%3A%2F%2Foceanboxdesigns.com%2Fprofession al-quality-diy-sump%2F&usg=AFQjCNEkguGbO0xHktmqPnn77YV4PrqD_g&sig2=WM7Aw8d_JLvgn434ClgakQ

Is part of which my theme is for my sump. But then again since mine is a overhead sump it changes things a awful lot. Mainly the skimmer isn't in the sump. The HOB skimmer will be unfortunately attached to the main tank.
In a way I expect most of the SW community to not talk to me now seeing that I am not following the traditional methods/ rules for sumps. But hey the only difference is that I am pumping water up and gravity returns it to the tank. The amount it return in case of a power is down to the hight of the return hole.

To finish your question Matt mainly my ideas are just scrolling through youtube.

https://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=video&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj5gv_svKLTAhXCqJQKHW_hAUIQtwIIIzAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DYF cioRUCa6c&usg=AFQjCNFt3UB9NTeDZaLSDQesFHFj3rlxhA&sig2=Jg1hyvwq1rNf4nrMhBegIA

https://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=video&cd=5&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj5gv_svKLTAhXCqJQKHW_hAUIQtwIIOzAE&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DeF VN3ppIcQw&usg=AFQjCNHyySj78xCYbGDRvOGqIG10lFNFQw&sig2=H4naVRdK19PesX_C6pd8Sg

Slaphppy7
04-13-2017, 11:17 PM
Thanks mac, I have some nice reading to do this weekend...

mac
04-13-2017, 11:23 PM
My pleasure.

Actually been a tad slow on the up take. Watching some supper cool videos on youtube about shell dwellers from tanganyika. So heavily distracted.

mac
04-14-2017, 12:16 PM

Sitting down watching Rachel oleary on YouTube. Such amazing information she has that is for sure.

Anyway I have been inspired to start drawing and actually mapping my plans properly in paper. It's not perfectly photo graphed but it gives you the idea of my plan.

Just as a side not the power tank is the marine tank. The green marks are power head to pump up to the sump on the out side left hand side. And also two wave makers, and hob skimmer.

mac
04-15-2017, 10:43 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170415/523604cbbee1d885e489b18995a47168.jpg

Sump mark two. So far everything is all free. Free plastic fish tank. Free glass.

All I need to do now is make the fikter sock holder. Return hole plus secondary safety return hole.

And finally the variouse media section which is in the middle.

waylon101
04-15-2017, 03:10 PM
looks good thumbs2:

mac
04-24-2017, 04:02 AM

The sump is nearly complete. Today is the day to do a test on the flow rate and and well my plan is going to work.

Today is going to picture heavy in this thread.

DoubleDutch
04-24-2017, 05:05 AM
really nice !!

mac
04-24-2017, 07:13 AM

This is the exit to the sump. 25mm exit pipem

Showing it running. I will be needing to up grade the pump. It's only a test pump at 150ltr an hour.

Showing its flow.

For me I have built a section for the filter sock. Then using a modified section off a few ac50 parts to use for variouse other items, like phosban and purigen.

One of the only things I need to purchase is to get is a small black weir for the pump house.

The other things I will need to do is the sump plumbing in the return pipe section. At this stage it's a basic clear pipe for testing.

What I find really funny is the argument I had with a few kiwis about how this will never work and wait till I can afford a true tank and sump.

So far it's worked. Plumber has been to my fishroom and checked out the plumbing now it works and had given his tick of approval.

The sw tank is now up and on wards.

Boundava
04-24-2017, 01:42 PM
Lots of progress, looks great and glad the plumbing is all good to go. Nice sump BTW.

TexChuck
04-27-2017, 02:45 AM
Plumbing looks great Mac !! Coming together very nicely! I like the flow back design. You might start a new above tank sump trend...

mac
04-27-2017, 06:49 AM
Maybe, depending on how it runs once its up and running. Thus far there is a few teething issues. The rubber gasket leaks worse than a side now. So I have had to start again with the out let. Thats simple, new gasket and silicon it. Also need to add another hole and glue in a whole new back glass. The glass broke while i tried to get the system apart to change the leaking gasket over.
No really big issue. Probably purchase a whole new plumbing section for it to make it a little easier.

mac
05-07-2017, 07:40 AM
New plumbing idea has occured to me. So a quick trip to town has lead to some more parts to play with in this set up.

Now that the spare car is fixed and the bill settled, the spending budget in the fish room is back to normal. Also the money for the marine tank I back.

waylon101
05-08-2017, 05:25 AM
Looks good Mac!

mac
05-08-2017, 07:17 AM
Thanks Waylon,

Really getting excited. Next purchase for this tank is the skimmer.

Then the last of the test kits. For me I am aiming to run both api and the red sea kits. Though personally I would love to be able to get a contact in the USA whom can send me red sea kits and refills with out spending a ton of money here on it.

mac
05-14-2017, 12:38 AM
So far I am getting wet feet with the marine tank.

No matter how hard I try my country keeps letting me down when it comes to getting just basic plumbing parts.

Seriously starting to loose my will on this set up.

Slaphppy7
05-14-2017, 01:48 AM
I say go FW totally, and plan for SW at a later date.

You have ALOT of tanks, keep things FW for now, should make water change day alot simpler, as well as equipment needed

Just my opinion...they're like noses, everybody has one...

mac
05-14-2017, 01:49 AM
Yeah your not wrong there. Its more the plumbing is starting to drive me completly mad. To the point it's just not working.

Slaphppy7
05-14-2017, 01:51 AM
If you are not having fun, then the hobby becomes a task, and not a pleasure

mac
05-14-2017, 01:52 AM
Well there is that point. Actually to be honest if I was to do it. I can buy a pre built tank and sump fairly cheap around 800 like our friend texchuck has.

Slaphppy7
05-14-2017, 02:00 AM
Problem solved, carry on, my friend

mac
05-14-2017, 02:03 AM
Actually that suits quite well. Cause now I have a spare 40g to set up.

Plus I have just come up with a cunning evil plan for two more tanks in a limited space.

Such a help you are Matt.

So now the kit reef tank will get saved up for rainy day and placed in the house to always veiw. Your a life saver Matt.

The day is now stress free.

Slaphppy7
05-14-2017, 02:14 AM
More than happy to oblige, mate

The hobby should relax, not stress, IMO

How's the weather there in NZ on a Sunday afternoon?

mac
05-14-2017, 02:20 AM
Hmmmm,

How to try and explain it.
If you look at map of our country it may help.

Right now a have a north west wind blowing in from Ozzie. It's a supper light breeze and semi warm. But at the same time a have a fog drifting around the ocean waiting to night fall to come in.

Temp is around 10'c ocean is 12'c
Our afternoons now are very much like winter looking and awaiting more snow to come.

Slaphppy7
05-14-2017, 02:26 AM
Enter your location here, and see what comes up...WU is my favorite weather site, even better than local news, radar never lies, lol

https://www.wunderground.com/

mac
05-14-2017, 02:41 AM
Just entered in my town.

Wow it's about 100 times more accurate than our own ones

Slaphppy7
05-14-2017, 02:57 AM
Save it as a "favorite" or "bookmark" it

It's a very good site for weather updates and forecasts, world wide

mac
05-14-2017, 03:06 AM
A common saying here is a weather reporter could not predict rain even if it's raining in his head.

mac
06-15-2017, 09:31 AM
The Marine tank is now back into action. Only difference is breaking all the rules relating to marine.
Also changing the size to suit myself and space I have for it.

mac
10-26-2017, 11:15 PM
Plans are going through quotes right now for a 83 to 100g reef tank.
Internal sump like the king of diy has done.
And i will make my own stand. Ideally with the abilty when we do shift to to be able to shift it easily with 4 people.

It has been nearly one year in planning this. A big child hood dream about to happen. So this will be interesting to see how it goes, and panes out once started.

Slaphppy7
10-27-2017, 12:26 PM
Exciting for you, I hope it works out great

Not sure I'll ever be brave enough to try SW, lol

Boundava
10-27-2017, 12:37 PM
Great for you to be getting this going! Like Matt-not something I have the funds or gumption to do, but it will be neat to see how yours works out.

RiversGirl
10-27-2017, 12:46 PM
A big child hood dream about to happen.

That's awesome! You are making it happen

mac
10-28-2017, 06:53 AM
Quotes are in! Went for a a 130g tank costing $344nz
Sizes 120cm 70cm 60cm.

Spardas
10-28-2017, 07:06 AM
Congrats on pulling the trigger. Will this tank come with any starphire glass in the front and/or the two sides?

mac
10-28-2017, 09:53 AM
No just standard glass. No way can i afford the other stuff available in nz.

BluewaterBoof
10-28-2017, 01:30 PM
Wow I didn't see this thread until now. Congrats, Mr. Mac! Excited for ya!

Silbar
10-28-2017, 11:06 PM
Way to go for taking the first steps over to the salty side :19:

mac
10-30-2017, 07:08 AM
Way to go for taking the first steps over to the salty side :19:Guess its more of a three way thing for me.
1. Swimming in the barrier reef as a child.
2. The challenge.
3. I was told discus were impossibly to keep. So now see if a marine is as complicated as the same person claimed.

Main thing though is there is a very strong local group in my town to help me along. More so with shops to avoid and to go to. Hidden secrets in nz.

Seems nz has a huge silent sw community. And most of our lfs in nz are actually sw only.

So this is a ultra exciting challenge.

mac
11-01-2017, 11:34 PM
This saterday i head of to my glass supplier to pick up the new tank. So looking forward to this project.

mac
11-08-2017, 07:13 AM
Here is the 130g reef tank.
Just need to plan the internal sump, then glue it all together.

Not bad for $344.00. Considering any reef tank kit in nz around this size is well into the 5k mark and then some.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171108/afdd60b5c22350c978173182a6a4ac34.jpg

RiversGirl
11-08-2017, 03:14 PM
Wow, you're jumping in with both feet. Ha!
These glass pieces look big.

How large of a tank will this be? I'm excited for you, Mac!

mac
11-09-2017, 08:25 AM
Wow, you're jumping in with both feet. Ha!
These glass pieces look big.

How large of a tank will this be? I'm excited for you, Mac!Size is 120l 70w 60 tall. Total is 133g.

Spardas
11-14-2017, 04:36 AM
How's the build going?

mac
11-14-2017, 06:29 AM
The build is awaiting my holidays. 28 days of work till holidays.

Then build this set up.

eclecticjanie
11-14-2017, 02:08 PM
Morning! I've been following your journey, and I wanted to share a small part of mine.

I recently turned a 20l into a refugium sump. It is filtering a 29 gallon freshwater planted aquarium.

The local glass store cut my glass for free, and the sealant cost about $16 with tax.

The tower is a recycled cat litter container, polishing is 3M
scrubbies (no antibacterial properties ), diy bath poufs and future arriving bio balls, cotton padding ( found in stuffed pillows and quilts ) and a thick sponge.

Mechanics are a 1200 gph powerhead as the return.

I don't have the tower connected yet,.
Here's what it looks like running.

https://youtu.be/03S64ICLG6U

I hope this helps you out!
Janie https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171114/f15955475db58ce76de4c054ef1933ad.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171114/9f2ebc3fcf46cef047e99155f2f04c13.jpg

waylon101
11-16-2017, 01:56 AM
I'm excited to see this! :19:

mac
11-16-2017, 02:17 AM
Hey janie thank you for sharing.
That is some stuff to look into that is for sure.

eclecticjanie
11-16-2017, 03:00 PM
Thanks fellas.
Mac, feel free to contact me for more details if you choose to use diy refugium/sump.

I just can't see spending $$ on something easily put together at home.

mac
11-16-2017, 07:12 PM
I cirtainly will do so.

Just for your referance in nz this is the cost for a similare size marine tank to what I have.

http://www.hollywoodfishfarm.co.nz/product/red-sea-max-s-650-led-white/

So i do totally agree with you.

mac
11-20-2017, 06:08 AM
Whats every ones thoughts on these specs for pod lights for a track system?

Lunar blue 445nm blue 475lumen per pod.
Color enhancing 4500k warm white 630nm red 50 lumen

Cool white 10000k white 80 lumen??

mac
01-20-2018, 01:23 AM
The stand is now finished for the 130g.
Looks good. And was cheap. $400.00 to get it made in steel including painting and man hours.

Just need to build in the lower leval my self for the sump.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180120/b8376a8613977296e291a0fc3af6ab7f.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180120/72ededea7b8c464a072ae060b0770e48.jpg

BluewaterBoof
01-21-2018, 01:20 AM
Looking good, Mac!

kaybee
01-22-2018, 05:03 PM
Nice!

Once your set up is up and running, what type of fish and corals are you considering to stock?

mac
03-15-2018, 05:15 AM
Well its happened.

30g tank which use to be one of my planted tanks got torn down and taken over for the first reef tank.

Running a zetlight lighting.
A basic internal skimmer.
AC 50 hob.
And a jebao wave maker.

Time to cycle.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180315/f2c39f2b8174d4e6f21297ca7e9c6635.jpg

mch1984
03-15-2018, 12:47 PM
Rock work looks good

Boundava
03-15-2018, 12:59 PM
Agree, it has a nice flow in the tank.

Slaphppy7
03-15-2018, 02:31 PM
Congrats on the new SW setup, mac

BluewaterBoof
03-15-2018, 04:16 PM
Looking great, Mac!

Did/do you have to cure your rock? I was fortunate enough to get live rock from my local reef shop so I didn't have to wait for the tank to cycle. I was going back and forth with Spardas on the phone during the course of planning and setting up the tank. Following his guidance I had hermits and snails by day 2 and started adding small coral frags one or two at a time by the 2nd or 3rd week. Never had any issues with the tank.

But if you had to cure the rock and wait for the cycle to establish that will delay things a bit for you.

mac
03-16-2018, 04:10 AM
A fair bit of tge rock has been curing in aerated ocean water for about a month.

Now in the tank. On the whole though its going to take some time.

The skimmer is flat out pulling rubbish out..
To be honest sw makes fresh water so dull.

I can see the fish room once we get the ideal house being a a high amount of sw.

BluewaterBoof
03-17-2018, 01:43 AM
To be honest sw makes fresh water so dull.

I can see the fish room once we get the ideal house being a a high amount of sw.

It sure does. I still care for my FW tanks but I honestly wouldn't mind trading all the freshwater out if it meant I could have a big reef tank. SW is great for people like me who like to constantly be tinkering with a tank. My planted tanks are set-and-forget. Aside from the occasional trim and water changes, they don't keep me engaged as much as I'd like. That's why I am also setting up new tanks and scapes. It gives me something to do. SW isn't more difficult than fresh, per say, but it definitely keeps you busy with the testing and adjustments and maintenance. I really like it.

Plus the animals are just incredibly exotic and colorful.

mac
03-17-2018, 02:14 AM
It sure does. I still care for my FW tanks but I honestly wouldn't mind trading all the freshwater out if it meant I could have a big reef tank. SW is great for people like me who like to constantly be tinkering with a tank. My planted tanks are set-and-forget. Aside from the occasional trim and water changes, they don't keep me engaged as much as I'd like. That's why I am also setting up new tanks and scapes. It gives me something to do. SW isn't more difficult than fresh, per say, but it definitely keeps you busy with the testing and adjustments and maintenance. I really like it.

Plus the animals are just incredibly exotic and colorful.See breeding for me keeps me engaged for fw.

But the sw side coral growing is what i want. The color.

mac
03-17-2018, 09:00 AM
So stocking i am thinking of a royal gramma.

mac
03-18-2018, 04:55 AM
First lot of tests done for the new reef tank. Note this is pure ocean watwr from off our beach in the south pacific nz run through sediment filter sock then coffee filter for fine particles. Tests done with red sea kit.
Ph 8.2
Alk 8
No4 between 0.0 and 0.2.
No3 5.0
No2 0.0
Salinity through the refractometer
Need to get confirmation on my celebration.
Missing phosphate test kit and calcium.
Cost thus far.
$157 zetlight wifi
$85 aliexpress skimmer (excuse the lack of name. Chinese isn't one thing i can read well.)
$150.00 ac50 hob
$100.00 jebao wave maker.
$250.00 aprox for red sea test kit. Some still arriving.
$450.00 for 50kg dry rock. Not all in this tank.
$25.00 heater.
So all these prices are rounded up nz currancy.
As the dry rock i have heaps left for when i start up the 130g reef tank in the future.
Ideally this costs around the same as any other of my none air fed tanks to set up for fw.

kaybee
03-18-2018, 12:45 PM
So stocking i am thinking of a royal gramma.

One of my favorites with a nice color scheme, and a very hardy fish (I still have the royal gramma that I acquired in 2006).

mac
03-18-2018, 06:40 PM
One of my favorites with a nice color scheme, and a very hardy fish (I still have the royal gramma that I acquired in 2006).Nemateleotris decora is something else is really want.

Followed by frog spawn.

Slaphppy7
03-18-2018, 09:02 PM
Whoa...there's saltwater frogs?

mac
03-18-2018, 09:14 PM
Whoa...there's saltwater frogs?Google frog spawn corals.

Stunning looking. Not much different than the string of eggs we use to set alight in ozzie from the cain toads.

Slaphppy7
03-18-2018, 09:32 PM
Cool looking, indeed

https://www.google.com/search?q=frog+spawn+corals&client=firefox-b&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwir6-aL6fbZAhUL5IMKHRFGCXsQ_AUICigB&biw=1120&bih=617

mac
03-19-2018, 02:18 AM
Thats is the one. Roughly $35 to $100.00 each.
Local private reef propagaters are cheap. Lfs or lps they love to charge a fortune here.

waylon101
03-19-2018, 04:54 AM
Glad to see this tank got started! I know there were some delays. thumbs2:

mac
03-19-2018, 05:57 AM
Glad to see this tank got started! I know there were some delays. thumbs2:Just a few. For some reason i can see most of the fresh water being kicked out and sw taking right over.

mch1984
03-19-2018, 12:26 PM
I do like the frogspawn coral, really most of the Euphyilla coral are great looking. I want a Euphylla garden in mine. I started keeping track of the cost of mine and I wish I hadn't.

I'm like boof, at this point I see fresh water slowly going away in my home. The next project I foresee is converting my 180 gallon to saltwater.

BluewaterBoof
03-19-2018, 04:25 PM
Yeah, the euphyllia are great. They are a nice alternative to get flowing tentacle movement in a tank if one does not want to deal with anemones.

I'm getting a hammer this weekend and would also like a purple-tipped grape coral at some point. I think once those go in I will be maxed out on mid- and lower-level animals. I'm saving my upper levels for more SPS.

BluewaterBoof
03-19-2018, 04:38 PM
Thats is the one. Roughly $35 to $100.00 each.
Local private reef propagaters are cheap. Lfs or lps they love to charge a fortune here.

I want a Euphylla garden in mine. I started keeping track of the cost of mine and I wish I hadn't.

I've been able to keep the budget for my setup in the same range as my high tech freshwater tanks of comparable size. It seems that the major bucks have been going towards the animals. I've spent close to $450 on the animals in my nano reef.

mac
03-19-2018, 05:42 PM
I've been able to keep the budget for my setup in the same range as my high tech freshwater tanks of comparable size. It seems that the major bucks have been going towards the animals. I've spent close to $450 on the animals in my nano reef.My orginal estimate was close. But the red sea kits around 3 times usa price. What you guys pay for the whole master kit is a single test here.

Are you able to get frags of local groups.

BluewaterBoof
03-19-2018, 06:53 PM
I have Red Sea only for NO3. I use Salifert for the PO4/Mg/Ca/Alk. Are the Red Sea tests all color chart tests? The Saliferts are easier on me since I'm colorblind, so I only have to look for a strong color change as opposed to trying to match up colors in a chart.

We don't have much in the way of local groups for frags/swaps here in my area. About half my animals came from a super meticulous reef shop here in town, the other half were ordered online. The reef shop always has great healthy animals but the prices are pretty ridiculous. I can pick up three small frags for $50, which isn't awful but some of the animals are nuts like he was charging $80 for regular rock flower nems which go for $10-15 online.

angelcraze2
03-19-2018, 07:41 PM
I've been able to keep the budget for my setup in the same range as my high tech freshwater tanks of comparable size. It seems that the major bucks have been going towards the animals. I've spent close to $450 on the animals in my nano reef.

And that Is a nano. My hubby would kill me if I spent that much on fish! Good for you though, you obviously have a lot of confidence :)

mac, your saltwater setup is gorgeous! Costly, but gorgeous!

BluewaterBoof
03-19-2018, 08:54 PM
And that Is a nano. My hubby would kill me if I spent that much on fish! Good for you though, you obviously have a lot of confidence :)

Yeah, but you also have to remember that a lot of corals are decent investments, like plants. Say you pay $20 for a coral frag(ment) consisting of three heads glued to a ceramic plug. 6 months later that little frag of 3 heads has divided/budded into a nice colony consisting of 12 heads. Now you can either try selling the colony, or you can cut it up into four frags and sell each one for a price similar to what you originally paid for just the original frag. thumbs2:

As long as you have the patience to buy small frags and wait for them to grow out, you could easily make back all the money you spent on them as well as a little bit of profit within a year :)

mac
03-19-2018, 09:06 PM
Just a average fw tank to set up in nz once you grab a filter lighting decore heating stand would set you back close to if not the same cost as marine. Ideally now it is something which i won't stop doing.

mch1984
03-20-2018, 03:10 PM
I don't even count the cost of livestock in my SW, I really don't want to know that number. I have a hard time saying no to coral that I really like. I have slowed down at the moment, but only because my little frag rack is full waiting on the 90 gallon to be ready. Plus I have to save some room, we are going to Orlando in August and I will be stopping by World Wide Corals to do some shopping.

BluewaterBoof
03-20-2018, 04:01 PM
The sad thing is that corals should be dirt cheap. With the ease of propagation, there shouldn't be any reason to be charging $400 for a fragment of something. It's a seller's market and unfortunately people are greedy.

I would love to get some amazing SPS that are rare (due to extreme pricing), grow them out, and then flood the market with super cheap frags. Would put a nice dent in the price gouging that goes on in the marine side of the hobby.

sfsamm
03-20-2018, 04:33 PM
The price is crazy! I've considered trying saltwater a number of times and didn't because of the cost of the stock both fish, and coral. And any tiny little mistake (like when I'm out of town for up to two weeks) and I could lose thousands of I did the things I like. Too scary of a number to lose for me and I'm not about to give up my trips and vacations lol. The fish aren't my big draw but I think corals amazing, and fire goby? I think they're called fire goby lol that's the ONE sw fish I'd have to have. I don't know anything about corals besides they are gorgeous, sensitive and expensive lol

BluewaterBoof
03-20-2018, 05:22 PM
Well, yes and no. At face value, you look at a coral or particular SW fish and go "holy cow, that's a lot more than a tetra/cory/etc." But you also gotta realize that the comparison isn't entirely fair. Sure, a lot of tetras are cheap individually, but being social animals, they need/should to be kept in large shoals. A group of ten emperor tetras from TWS will run you $30. There are many corals frags and SW fish that can be picked up for the same price or even less.

It also depends on the species. You can easily find a lot of cichlids - especially discus - that can run anywhere from $50-$250 per animal.

SW can be as expensive or cheap as you make it. It all depends on the type of animals you want to keep and how much you're willing to spend on convenience. :)

mch1984
03-20-2018, 06:36 PM
The price is crazy! I've considered trying saltwater a number of times and didn't because of the cost of the stock both fish, and coral. And any tiny little mistake (like when I'm out of town for up to two weeks) and I could lose thousands of I did the things I like. Too scary of a number to lose for me and I'm not about to give up my trips and vacations lol. The fish aren't my big draw but I think corals amazing, and fire goby? I think they're called fire goby lol that's the ONE sw fish I'd have to have. I don't know anything about corals besides they are gorgeous, sensitive and expensive lol

That's where aquarium controllers come in. I didn't believe all the hype about them until I watched a talk by a guy at MACNA. You can you design them to pretty much take care of the tank for you and let you know if something isn't right. I feel like you don't have to give up time away from home with controllers and maybe one person that could help out by taking care of an emergency on the tank. They are expensive, but like you said, look at what you are protecting.

mac
05-18-2018, 08:47 PM
The sad thing is that corals should be dirt cheap. With the ease of propagation, there shouldn't be any reason to be charging $400 for a fragment of something. It's a seller's market and unfortunately people are greedy.

I would love to get some amazing SPS that are rare (due to extreme pricing), grow them out, and then flood the market with super cheap frags. Would put a nice dent in the price gouging that goes on in the marine side of the hobby.I know this is dredging up history.

Nz that could lead to black mail car vandalism and property damage from the higher cost sellers.
Mostly lfs who do it as you have already seen!

BluewaterBoof
05-18-2018, 09:33 PM
PO Box and run your business under an alias :hmm3grin2orange:

mac
05-18-2018, 11:17 PM
PO Box and run your business under an alias :hmm3grin2orange:Kinda comes down to who you know not what you know in nz.

BluewaterBoof
06-04-2018, 11:08 PM
Weren’t you telling me you were picking up some animals for this tank this past weekend?

mac
06-05-2018, 12:10 AM
Well kinda yes kinda no.

Got then waiting in another tank with a friend kf mine in the marine group.
But if i swap tank to the bigger one it maybe better. Or do i suck it up and leave it as is??

mac
07-03-2018, 08:19 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrQTLBnRQO0&t=17s

If the water test's keep going well live stock could be in this by the weekend!

mac
07-07-2018, 11:33 AM
Just a sneak peak as to whats comming!

mac
07-08-2018, 06:38 AM
New phone time to start the sw addiction. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180708/858441b66b08531df0e0a93cf8af2e27.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180708/bb2c595197395abb895e56bd076b3867.jpg

showmebutterfly
07-08-2018, 02:49 PM
Those are both gorgeous! Great pics [emoji106]

BluewaterBoof
07-09-2018, 04:49 PM
About dang time, Mac!

BluewaterBoof
07-09-2018, 04:52 PM
Do you have access to cerith snails? I got about 30 of the dwarf ceriths and they are amazing at keeping the substrate clean, and they're also so small that they can get into the little crevices in the live rock that larger snails can't reach.

angelcraze2
07-09-2018, 04:55 PM
Wow those are incredible pics of incredible creatures!

RiversGirl
07-09-2018, 05:39 PM
New phone time to start the sw addiction. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180708/858441b66b08531df0e0a93cf8af2e27.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180708/bb2c595197395abb895e56bd076b3867.jpg

Ooooooo
So pretty!

mac
07-10-2018, 06:04 AM
Couple of more images.

Snail wise I will have to sniff around the local groups and the import list to know what's aloud and what we can get.

Tomorrow if all goes well should get around another 40g of so for water changes from the ocean. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180710/980bb0c888bc44c604f374e5dbb7b06a.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180710/fa21bbb6bbe507a5c88015a218ffde25.jpg

mac
07-14-2018, 11:08 AM
Update time.
The video kinda gives a ton of info for what my goals are.

Though I will add some content here as well.
I am in no actual rush for this tank to be overly filled or stocked.

So far three fish is all I am looking at.
Flame goby
Lawn mower bleny
Mandarin

Gsp to be spread around a lot.
And let nature take its time.

All I can say is for those of use on here who are not in the sw side it really isn't that hard. Jump over to the dark side and try it!

https://youtu.be/PMlgTEYD290

Slaphppy7
07-14-2018, 02:35 PM
Great vid Mac, I like how you are going a bit "minimalist" with this setup, may encourage others to try SW knowing it can be done without having to spend alot of $...thanks for posting

mch1984
07-14-2018, 11:41 PM
Tank is looking good. I don't think there is anything wrong with a sumpless reef tank. I run a sump because I prefer it, not because I think it has to be that way. I wish I was close enough to the ocean to use natural sea water, but It's about a 10 hour drive from me so I guess i'm stuck using salt mixes. Our lawnmower blenny is probably our favorite fish, he's a blast to watch.

Side note, is that a little clove polyp on the GSP? Seems like right at the end of the last shot of it, there was a little clove sticking out.

Slaphppy7
07-15-2018, 01:03 AM
Tank is looking good. I don't think there is anything wrong with a sumpless reef tank. I run a sump because I prefer it, not because I think it has to be that way. I wish I was close enough to the ocean to use natural sea water, but It's about a 10 hour drive from me so I guess i'm stuck using salt mixes. Our lawnmower blenny is probably our favorite fish, he's a blast to watch.

Side note, is that a little clove polyp on the GSP? Seems like right at the end of the last shot of it, there was a little clove sticking out.

This just has to be a huge advantage, especially with seawater as pristine as Mac has available close by

I'd never even consider using water from the Gulf near where I live, that stuff is nasty, lol

mac
07-16-2018, 04:09 AM

Side note, is that a little clove polyp on the GSP? Seems like right at the end of the last shot of it, there was a little clove sticking out.Yes I am sure that is a clove poylp of some sort.

mac
07-18-2018, 08:30 AM
Some more update images.

The gsp has really settled in now. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180718/7548df8f03ae9568358a3290ff1686d1.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180718/85e437690f5575c8209bbb937d1cd85e.jpg

Boundava
07-18-2018, 11:41 AM
Wow I love the second photo. What is that? Absolutely gorgeous.

showmebutterfly
07-18-2018, 01:33 PM
I like the sneaky little polyp peeking out from behind that gorgeous fluffy green coral. I'm pretty sure that's the correct name. :14:

Boundava
07-18-2018, 01:46 PM
Its all Klingon to me...

mac
07-18-2018, 06:38 PM
The second photo is a gsp.
Green star polyp.

BluewaterBoof
07-18-2018, 07:08 PM
Its all Klingon to me...

I need an ULNS in order to keep my SPS happy so I had to get a GFO reactor to go along with my skimmer to drive my PO4 and NO3 down, but now I have to target feed my LPS to keep them happy, and the addition of an ATO to my sump helped keep my params stable in between my WC. I almost bought some really nice LR that had a bunch of GSP on it but decided I didn't want the hassle of having it spread in my DT. Mac has the nice option of using NSW whereas I have to mix my own using RODI and RSCP. I just finished fixing an error with my silicone that was causing STN in some of my SPS and LPS as well as fighting corals that resulted in RTN. :banghead:

The saltwater stuff was a bit overwhelming for me, at first. I was so confused with all the acronyms and stuff. I was PM'ing Spardas so much with all kinds of questions that the poor man just eventually ended up giving me his phone number :rolling:

sfsamm
07-18-2018, 07:40 PM
Hahaha wow! Lol that's a lot for me to take in and I kinda get the gist of some saltwater lingo. I've been looking into it a bit as I met someone here who's very into it and I can't keep up with the acronyms he uses. Still super intimidating to me and I can't imagine taking on a saltwater tank let alone corals there's SOOOooo much to learn! I did watch a couple of your videos though and somehow you make it seem less mind boggling

showmebutterfly
07-18-2018, 08:01 PM
Boof - you win the internet today! :thumbupright:

BluewaterBoof
07-18-2018, 08:31 PM
It certainly was intimidating for the first couple of weeks. I remember that first day I was unboxing my tank and setting it up...I was doubting myself and having second thoughts. I would sit there and browse corals on vendor sites like Tidal Gardens and LiveAquaria's fish and send photos of the ones I liked to Spardas, only to get responses that were discouraging i.e. "too big, invasive, too aggressive, too sensitive for new tank" etc.

Some times it was frustrating as a lot of what I thought was really cool just weren't options for me at the time, but he also saved me from setting myself up to fail. He was also constantly telling me to look up certain species...fascinating animals that were very bizarre and incredible in their appearances and interactions. It kept me enthralled and motivated to push forward. Joining saltwater FB groups was also a huge benefit, as I was able to sit back and lurk, watching the hundreds of questions others were asking each other all day every day. This allowed me to see what the fundamentals were and give me direction as to what specific topics needed to be researched. Before that, I was just kind of aimlessly wandering around vendor sites and SW forums, not really knowing what to look for and not making any meaningful advancement in my understanding of the marine side of the hobby.

I'm really enjoying the fact that the SW community here in the AC is slowly starting to grow. It would be really nice if our journals and discussions helped others who were on the fence feel less intimidated about making the dive to the salty side.

showmebutterfly
07-19-2018, 12:15 AM
I second all that. Except for the Spardas part. lol I'm a lurker on other forums, but only feel comfortable posting on this one. I'm very happy that the SW journals are increasing here.
It certainly was intimidating for the first couple of weeks. I remember that first day I was unboxing my tank and setting it up...I was doubting myself and having second thoughts. I would sit there and browse corals on vendor sites like Tidal Gardens and LiveAquaria's fish and send photos of the ones I liked to Spardas, only to get responses that were discouraging i.e. "too big, invasive, too aggressive, too sensitive for new tank" etc.

Some times it was frustrating as a lot of what I thought was really cool just weren't options for me at the time, but he also saved me from setting myself up to fail. He was also constantly telling me to look up certain species...fascinating animals that were very bizarre and incredible in their appearances and interactions. It kept me enthralled and motivated to push forward. Joining saltwater FB groups was also a huge benefit, as I was able to sit back and lurk, watching the hundreds of questions others were asking each other all day every day. This allowed me to see what the fundamentals were and give me direction as to what specific topics needed to be researched. Before that, I was just kind of aimlessly wandering around vendor sites and SW forums, not really knowing what to look for and not making any meaningful advancement in my understanding of the marine side of the hobby.

I'm really enjoying the fact that the SW community here in the AC is slowly starting to grow. It would be really nice if our journals and discussions helped others who were on the fence feel less intimidated about making the dive to the salty side.

mac
07-19-2018, 10:02 AM
Boof is really correct in how he explains the complexity with regards to salt water.
And honestly it really is a lot to take in.

But here is the flip side.

1. Fish tank.

Fw or sw both have issues.

2. Lighting

Fw or sw need varying types of lights.

3. Filtration.

Fw and sw many ways to this.

4. Qt is more important than fw.

Really there is minimal if any difference between them.

Names maybe a hurdle at first. Not the norm we bump into in the fw fraternity.
But it didn't take long to get over that issue.

Another two things which I have cheated with.

1. Reading a old fashioned bigginers guide to reefing.

2. Got natural sw. Which is half the issue gone, in a way. I do have to watch contamination more readily. So uv and precondition of this sw is a must.

Now back tracking this older book took my through the simple stages of reef keeping with out the modern trends for consumerising.

Or imo the reef fraternity of my wallets way bigger than yours. And I am really looking down my nose at you type attitude.

So the book talked about filtration like any canister filter, Water changes, rock curing, and water changes, cycling, and lighting.

Ended up working for the people back then! Still seems to work now.

Another thing I think which scares people of fw is how complicated the forums face book and YouTube have made it all look.

The modern day clutter from our fast paced internet social set up. Info info bombard bombard. Mental over load type thing.

Put it this way years ago in the mid 60s one of my uncles use to keep sw fish and coral in natural sun light with under gravel filter from local shores around north queens land with out issues. Go figure!

Budget wise thus far I must actually do a calculation on it. And do a comparison to a pre set up order type tank set up in nz.

mch1984
07-19-2018, 12:06 PM
Oddly enough the complexity that I saw on facebook pages and forums is half what got me thinking about saltwater. I like the equipment and the complex systems and builds. I'm even doing more to my large FW tank, adding extra equipment and more complex filtration just because it looks like fun. But I was intimidated by the rest of it. I got into the only way I knew how, I bought a tiny 12 gallon nano that was already set up and running. I got the basics from him about getting it back up and running and went from there. I decided to learn has I went. It almost forces me to research, so I can take as good of care of the tank as possible.

Your 100% correct on the way things were done in the early days of reef keeping. They were much simpler and worked just as well. There are some very stuck up people on the salty side and that's annoying. Just because somebody has a bigger budget doesn't mean the are a better aquarium keeper. I've seen some of the guys with the most complex systems fighting worse problems then the guys with simple systems.

bpete
07-19-2018, 12:38 PM
reading older books and magazines have been encouraging to me. folks were successful without all of the fancy equipment. I have recently been reading articles from TFH from 96 to about 2005 and find it interesting to see the changes. UG filters seemed to be the standard and wet/dry filters were starting to become fashionable. reading some of the questions in the Q&A sections when folks would mention their equipment and many times you did not even hear them mention protein skimmers. but of course the reefers were using metal halide or some of the newer VHO tubes. the one thing though that I see now that impresses me is the lighting options we have now but the prices still get me down.

showmebutterfly
07-20-2018, 01:29 PM
I have a lot of my dad's aquarium books and magazines from the late 80's. I need to take a closer look at them. Mostly I can't get past the cheesy advertisements. His systems had undergravel filters and I think there may have been an HOB filter too. I don't remember any circulation pumps and he definitely didn't have a sump. He was told to use saltwater mollies to cycle the tank. His systems didn't thrive and not for lack of him throwing money at them. He was getting most of his info from the guy who had the SW shop and it seems like the guy was more interested in selling stuff than helping dad succeed in the hobby. It was after the guy's shop closed that dad started reading books and magazines for information, but by then it was too late. The systems crashed and dad tore down all the tanks, including the FW ones and was out of the hobby for almost 30 years.
So much of this hobby is dependent on research and when you don't have good resources or get fed misinformation from someone you're supposed to be able to trust, it can be an expensive disaster. I'm so grateful for forums like this one and people that are honestly willing to help and having the internet available for doing research.

mac
07-22-2018, 12:18 AM
I have a lot of my dad's aquarium books and magazines from the late 80's. I need to take a closer look at them. Mostly I can't get past the cheesy advertisements. His systems had undergravel filters and I think there may have been an HOB filter too. I don't remember any circulation pumps and he definitely didn't have a sump. He was told to use saltwater mollies to cycle the tank. His systems didn't thrive and not for lack of him throwing money at them. He was getting most of his info from the guy who had the SW shop and it seems like the guy was more interested in selling stuff than helping dad succeed in the hobby. It was after the guy's shop closed that dad started reading books and magazines for information, but by then it was too late. The systems crashed and dad tore down all the tanks, including the FW ones and was out of the hobby for almost 30 years.
So much of this hobby is dependent on research and when you don't have good resources or get fed misinformation from someone you're supposed to be able to trust, it can be an expensive disaster. I'm so grateful for forums like this one and people that are honestly willing to help and having the internet available for doing research.This hobby really dose really require your own research to make it go ahead properly.

So much miss information miss representation and also corporate greed to contend with.

In saying that this hobby has the same issues for miss information as when I go tracking my track car. Tons of miss information. Just money become I guess a bigger hiderance to stupid mistakes seen in the fish keeping hobby.

mac
07-31-2018, 06:41 AM
The green star polyp has started to spread around onto other rock.

Also a hidden zoa just popped up. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180731/31d7b0b47579b67efcfcd02174259683.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180731/002567f3e796932857ce48e40191d437.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180731/a88c9c204a34f78b239f3946f5634448.jpg

Boundava
07-31-2018, 10:37 AM
Neat about the greeen star. Hope the newbie is a good addition?

showmebutterfly
07-31-2018, 02:40 PM
Great pics! Those blue mushrooms are such a pretty color. Do you think the mystery zoa came in on their frag? I love the star polyps too. Do they spread quickly or are they more of a slow grower?

mac
08-01-2018, 12:19 AM
So far I think three weeks in this tank now and it is spread its base around 1square cm
Which I think is decent rate if growth.
Great pics! Those blue mushrooms are such a pretty color. Do you think the mystery zoa came in on their frag? I love the star polyps too. Do they spread quickly or are they more of a slow grower?

BluewaterBoof
08-03-2018, 04:57 PM
Sounds right on par with growth rate. It'll start spreading faster and faster. You may want to consider isolating it to its own rock so that it doesn't spread all over your main rockwork unless you are intentionally wanting it to blanket everything.

What are your next plans as far as corals? You need some LPS in your life, Mac! What kinds of corals are available to you over there?

mac
08-03-2018, 09:35 PM
I kinda honestly do not know how to answer you boof.

Tons and tons here. But to give a proper account it's hard. The marine world in nz is a bit like USA easier to import. But hidden around the country in sheds. So word of mouth type stuff to find it all.

mac
08-14-2018, 05:10 AM
Picked up hairy mushroom. Unsure on colour yet.

rhodactis mushroom was all the name that was on the list when chosen. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180814/66c00aea5e6d839fffc01c8f1883e980.jpg

BluewaterBoof
08-14-2018, 06:00 AM
Ooooo awesome find. That should be really cool.

mac
08-14-2018, 07:22 AM
After two hours. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180814/c33adc8edcab1a756f4f0abaa051a869.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180814/776d490701d542ecdc9cea31258939f9.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180814/6429f0b41447885975c7fbb9f98ce0ee.jpg

Marty.h
08-14-2018, 08:57 AM
They soon grow and multiply and some get huge !!

mac
08-16-2018, 08:14 AM
Here is the video finally done.

https://youtu.be/9pbZblDFbVI

Stocking with some actual fish I think will not be far away.
Thought I do need to grab one more light to make a proper spread.

So one more zetlight 1202 if I remember correctly, followed by a flame goby.

BluewaterBoof
08-16-2018, 05:06 PM
Sweet!

What is that plantlike thing growing on the top of the shroom rock?

mch1984
08-16-2018, 05:10 PM
I finally broke and added a rock for ricordia. There are too many cool looking mushrooms out there to not give it a shot.

mac
08-16-2018, 10:17 PM
Actually do not know.
Would love to find out.
Sweet!

What is that plantlike thing growing on the top of the shroom rock?

BluewaterBoof
08-17-2018, 02:42 PM
One of the FB groups I'm in is pretty good at IDs and is much more respectful than the main one. I'll try pulling you in if you want to post up some photos and see if they can help?

mac
08-18-2018, 01:49 AM
G
One of the FB groups I'm in is pretty good at IDs and is much more respectful than the main one. I'll try pulling you in if you want to post up some photos and see if they can help?Go for it man.

Spardas
08-19-2018, 07:06 AM
You know where the rock came from?

mac
08-19-2018, 08:43 AM
You know where the rock came from?No clue. Could be frags attached to it from the import facity and qt facility.

Or direct from the reef.

mac
08-26-2018, 05:23 AM
Hey all,

Update time.

So we have some new coral.
And a failure.

My hairy mushroom seems to be dead or on its was out. To damaged from the shipping I think.
Large live rock attached to it while being shipped I think lead to it being smashed up to much.

Another issue was the red sea alkalinity test kit which is very new is stuffed. Reading badly, so time to buy a new one more than likely a whole new brand.

Got some fish coming soon.
Pseudanthias squamipinnishttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180826/a84443b647a9c4ae6e3a313df919f5a9.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180826/43bb674733d799cbda626ceae2b3a634.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180826/ec91acd356e558d0fe6ec36d7e5e1373.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180826/b344c83d7d7568e60210d989d5f356c1.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180826/6fad55231a19aa645c37335caf1b2e95.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180826/68c69ef6662a070e5ddc9fb272982333.jpg

Nautilus291
08-26-2018, 06:24 AM
Sorry to hear about the losses. It's always disappointing, and upsetting when something that you were so excited to bring into your setup doesn't work out.

I don't know much about salt water; how long do you expect it will take for these corals to fill in? I'm sure that it varies on the species, but on average how long does it take for s new setup to mature?

mac
08-26-2018, 06:57 AM
The green star will be the biggest issue for me. It has already spread near a square in in the last couple of weeks.
The same with the purple mushroom, that thing has taken off.

The new Kenya Tree will be semi fast growing.
Same with the non puslesating xenia.

The green zoa is a little grumpy, my tank is to clean so very little food. So having to dose food now to keep it happy.
On a whole though honestly I am still leaning when it comes to how fast they will fill in.
From experiacne the Green star will take right of and will need work some time soon.

Nautilus291
08-26-2018, 08:43 AM
Once they get too big can you clip them, and if so is the clipping still viable? Can you sell or trade them or do you just discard it?

mac
08-26-2018, 09:07 AM
That is the one on sell them or hand then on.

A lot of what I have in there has been frags from fellow reefs in my local town that they are passing on.

See this has what has grabbed me the most about reef keeping. The living life from the corals.

Fw plants just do not grab me as much.
But this is so addictive.
Once you start there is no turning back.
The colour the way they move feed sleep and sway on their own.
Once they get too big can you clip them, and if so is the clipping still viable? Can you sell or trade them or do you just discard it?

Spardas
08-27-2018, 06:10 PM
Agreed on the comment about the living reef. Plants are nice but compared with the vibrant color and life from reef tanks, it is a world apart. Sooner of later, you'll only see corals in private aquariums or institution since climate warming is bleaching all the corals. Future generations won't be able to swim in the Great Barrier Reefs, the Maldives, Red Sea, etc. and see all the amazing life anymore.

mac
08-28-2018, 05:24 AM
Finally arrived.

By the looks of it 1 male and 5 females. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180828/7520b19928fc071897b015d8e25b1314.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180828/c2f0ba8777aae74a1af829ad1284a2bc.jpg

showmebutterfly
08-28-2018, 01:39 PM
Your new additioins are so pretty! I'm glad they arrived and hope they are all in good health.

mac
08-30-2018, 06:44 AM
Just completed a water change on the reef tank.

The chromis loved it a ton.
More so with feeding.

The difference in feeding marine fish to fresh water is hands down so much better.
They are so active and interesting in how they hunt the food down.

Another note, cleaned up the back of the shed. So time to set up the 130g.

So a 40g reef tank 130g reef.

showmebutterfly
08-30-2018, 03:09 PM
Will you start a new journal for the new build or add it to this one?

mch1984
08-30-2018, 04:03 PM
looking forward to the 130 gallon build.

mac
09-01-2018, 08:13 AM
looking forward to the 130 gallon build.Thank you mch.

It will not be a instant build. Looking at the to do list.

Car radiotor to finish off. $80-160 depending.
Track day fees. $110.00
Fuel bill. $450 for about 4hrs.
Tires. Semi slicks so cheaper than road tires $100.00

So that is the bill for the next few weeks.
Then 1 sheet of 2.4m by 1.2m 20mm ply.
That can be the top of the stand and also for the sump system.
Will see if I can grab a couple from work if so possibly free. If not that nearly $100.00 alone.

Sand the edges of the glass to be better than just the basic cut edge they are now.
Buy some glue $60.00 for 4 tubes.
Also may grab some 1.5m clamps for this.
There is another $70.00

So I think at this rate. It will be Jan or Feb by the time water gets near the tank.

Then there will be the return pump plumbing and lighting.

mch1984
09-01-2018, 12:54 PM
Thank you mch.

It will not be a instant build. Looking at the to do list.

Car radiotor to finish off. $80-160 depending.
Track day fees. $110.00
Fuel bill. $450 for about 4hrs.
Tires. Semi slicks so cheaper than road tires $100.00

So that is the bill for the next few weeks.
Then 1 sheet of 2.4m by 1.2m 20mm ply.
That can be the top of the stand and also for the sump system.
Will see if I can grab a couple from work if so possibly free. If not that nearly $100.00 alone.

Sand the edges of the glass to be better than just the basic cut edge they are now.
Buy some glue $60.00 for 4 tubes.
Also may grab some 1.5m clamps for this.
There is another $70.00

So I think at this rate. It will be Jan or Feb by the time water gets near the tank.

Then there will be the return pump plumbing and lighting.

Nothing wrong with slow builds, I'm in the same boat with my frag tank. I just figured up the bill to get the over flow and return lines drilled. Not even plumbed just drilled and bulk heads and box installed. :ssuprised:

mac
09-21-2018, 10:44 PM
It's been a little time since there has been a update.

Live stock is going perfectly well.
Corals are growing and happy.
The organisms which are tubing up is the best part.

Your fw people really are missing out in this. The sw jump is so worth it short and long term.

Did a canister filter clean today.
Polishing pads a little dirty so cut some new ones and chucked them. Basic rinse and away you go again nice and clean canister filter.

Skimmer is doing fits and spurts with removing rubbish. Certainly doing it's job that is for sure.

showmebutterfly
09-21-2018, 10:52 PM
I'm glad to hear your SW tank is doing well!

mac
09-21-2018, 10:54 PM
Thank you butterfly.

It's a slow steady game but it will get there in the end. Found carbon to do wonders for my zoas. No carbon and they shut up shop. Carbon added and they are happy.
I'm glad to hear your SW tank is doing well!

mac
09-22-2018, 08:18 AM
Here is a few images from tonight.

New second zest light is coming to properly light the full tank. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180922/abf4d4e4055968ab9f8381c49232bd92.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180922/3af9824b22d8e9f09d4e3193a6846611.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180922/0d2b4e92680288abc59b3b325f03cab9.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180922/dab54a73e7d48ffce5498efcb878b9e9.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180922/81434e0f51c61f4ae3b11d242487652c.jpg

BluewaterBoof
09-22-2018, 02:17 PM
Looking good, Mac!

What method are you using for carbon dosing? Vodka?

mac
09-22-2018, 09:01 PM
Looking good, Mac!

What method are you using for carbon dosing? Vodka?Carbon in a bag placed inbetween two sponges in the canister.

BluewaterBoof
09-22-2018, 10:32 PM
Oh I getcha now. Activated carbon haha

I thought you meant you were dosing carbon and skimming the bacteria out.

mac
09-25-2018, 06:27 AM
Did a little shifting with the zoa. It seems happier up higher and in the current.

Mushrooms have been separated a little and they have spread even more. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180925/d493d42075cdb2d911ad18dc577532c4.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180925/5858906679201da1428a57c369541d6e.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180925/6e79abeb38a227faef06320eee352636.jpg

showmebutterfly
09-25-2018, 10:51 AM
Did a little shifting with the zoa. It seems happier up higher and in the current.

Mushrooms have been separated a little and they have spread even more. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180925/d493d42075cdb2d911ad18dc577532c4.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180925/5858906679201da1428a57c369541d6e.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180925/6e79abeb38a227faef06320eee352636.jpgYour zoas look happy and healthy and I really like those purple/blue mushrooms.

mac
09-26-2018, 06:34 AM
https://youtu.be/Q8C0bUmYM0Y

This video really is worth watching.

Not just your salt water keepers also the fresh water fraternity.

showmebutterfly
09-26-2018, 01:31 PM
Thank you for sharing, Mac. I like Majestic Aquariums' videos and find most of them very helpful.

mac
09-26-2018, 06:52 PM
Thank you for sharing, Mac. I like Majestic Aquariums' videos and find most of them very helpful.They really are a good Chanel.
And honestly think he is under estimated as well.
Such a shame nz has not shops like his.

Also found my mushrooms name finally.
https://youtu.be/lcWlGiDEVzE

showmebutterfly
09-26-2018, 09:10 PM
I wouldn't mind having a whole tank full of those mushrooms. There are so many colors and textures to choose from.

Also found my mushrooms name finally.

mac
09-30-2018, 03:43 AM
Finally dialed my oppo r11 in for some decent images. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180930/4ef8bb4134986176a8f9c9192627f280.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180930/70ee1c0e86fd1dc28da3427368366349.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180930/e17a1280cd94013f138d4c3f20940a19.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180930/aa14a43ba29fd0b6be96010680a97bb0.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180930/47130e928f3de7d37fde47878b9597c8.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180930/21ecb317df70af1587a1616c475d63c1.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180930/9019456bdb7a7890cef3247ca89e9dd5.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180930/040684f16e77a937720357fa4a1b3e40.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180930/bfb7732bb52152330f88fa3219d124af.jpg

showmebutterfly
09-30-2018, 03:59 AM
Nice pics, Mac! Your corals are looking good.

mac
10-01-2018, 09:17 PM
This week isn't going to well.
My back was sore.
Elbow and wrist. Worse my wrist fell out again while one a concrete breaker.

So they have been put back in place again.
Thumb needed relocating. Wrist and elbow.
Back well that's just a walking pain.

If you guys come to nz be sure to have health insurance. H
Our free health care is down hill.

showmebutterfly
10-01-2018, 10:51 PM
Dang, Mac! I sure hope your week gets better and that you will heal quickly.

Boundava
10-01-2018, 11:50 PM
Ouch! So sorry to hear of the injuries, the wrist sounds very painful. Hope you have a speedy recovery.

Slaphppy7
10-01-2018, 11:57 PM
Mac, are you ever NOT hurt?...........:14:

Just messing with you, get soon well, buddy

mac
10-02-2018, 05:16 AM
Thank you for the well wishes every one.

Mac, are you ever NOT hurt?...........:14:

Just messing with you, get soon well, buddy

Yeah generally always injured in one way or another. The curse of the irish in me I guess.
In saying that though it is part of life. For example mat you have to watch for the paper cuts if I remember corretly?

Slaphppy7
10-02-2018, 12:33 PM
For example matt you have to watch for the paper cuts if I remember correctly?

Heck yeah I do, I have a special insurance policy just for them

mch1984
10-02-2018, 02:31 PM
Sorry you're hurting. Hope you feel better soon.

mac
10-02-2018, 09:35 PM
So so so much better.

Coffee! Sun! And oh yes I have re damaged me hand again. So now I am unable to even lift a light 40kg bag of cement. Grrrreerrr.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181002/3fc6b1296c683c12c5715c8e95a84c7c.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181002/0eb2d018f8391602f5051c5cdb31a67f.jpg

BluewaterBoof
10-02-2018, 09:54 PM
You need to start being more careful, man. As you get older you'll be more and more prone to injuries and you won't heal as quickly. Getting old sucks haha

mac
10-03-2018, 01:07 AM
You need to start being more careful, man. As you get older you'll be more and more prone to injuries and you won't heal as quickly. Getting old sucks hahaGetting old dose suck. Hell and I am not really old. Only couple more years and I am 30.

With serve back damage. That is medical cock up. But very standard in NZ. They force us to have free health care but it dose not actually work very well. Most work related injuries they refuse to fix unless we force them through court.

And if we pay for private insurace we are still forced through our taxes and wages to pay for the free one with no opt out for private.

Every worker I have spoken to this year including me are all looking at and going down the road for private insurance.

Those who have it get fixed and back to work after they are fixed.

About $7.00 a week is the quote I have gotten my end to go private.
Funny thing, fellow I work with has a ripped stomach. 21 week waiting list to get done. And they refuse to do it since he is still working and making the injury worse.
Also they refuse to pay him to stop work till they can see him, since we have a sickness benefit and disability plus loss of work and injury benefit. And they wonder why nz has, I think now the highest suicide rate world wide. We are a complete joke for a country. Led by a very stupid person who solves all issues with more tax, and trying to look cool for the media over in USA currently.

mac
10-25-2018, 05:17 AM
Baby turbos!!!!!!!!
This is the part that I love about marine.
Every time you look at the living rock. Something pops out to look at you..
The reef is so full of life it isn't funny. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181025/51307916c2f5bd7518138aafc7a84c2f.jpg

sfsamm
10-25-2018, 03:29 PM
Love watching this tank progress... It's definitely getting me to consider dabbling a bit when I move closer to reliable resources and not so far from everything.