PDA

View Full Version : Golden Arowana

bhupeshkhanna
12-12-2016, 12:25 PM
Hi I got a new golden arowana about 6 inchs.. have kept him alone in a bare bottom 6 feet tank.

However since i got him he is not eating anything. Actually A known arowana breeder shipped him to me from another state. It took him 32 hours for him to reach me because of delay in shipment due to fog. For these 32 hours he was in shipping container.

I did proper accimilation and did not turn on the light for 1 days. Next day tried feeding him but he is not eating anything.

The person from whom i got him is saying that he must be in stress due to shipment and also he was eating live fishes when he was with him. So he will take time to accept food. He said don't feed for 2 days.

Is he right???? Also if the seller is right how long will he take to eat as he is just 6inch so is it okay to keep him starving for 2 days?

I tried feeding him FD shrimps and arowana hikari sticks but he did not eat them.

Its a beautiful fish and costly as well so worried a lot.. plz advise....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rocksor
12-12-2016, 02:34 PM
Hi I got a new golden arowana about 6 inchs.. have kept him alone in a bare bottom 6 feet tank.

However since i got him he is not eating anything. Actually A known arowana breeder shipped him to me from another state. It took him 32 hours for him to reach me because of delay in shipment due to fog. For these 32 hours he was in shipping container.

I did proper accimilation and did not turn on the light for 1 days. Next day tried feeding him but he is not eating anything.

The person from whom i got him is saying that he must be in stress due to shipment and also he was eating live fishes when he was with him. So he will take time to accept food. He said don't feed for 2 days.

Is he right???? Also if the seller is right how long will he take to eat as he is just 6inch so is it okay to keep him starving for 2 days?

I tried feeding him FD shrimps and arowana hikari sticks but he did not eat them.

Its a beautiful fish and costly as well so worried a lot.. plz advise....

It may not even eat for 1 week due to a new environment. Once it is settled it will eat. Remove any uneaten food after 30 minutes, and do not stay in the room to watch it eat after giving the food.

bhupeshkhanna
12-12-2016, 02:41 PM
https://vimeo.com/195302187

Thats him..

bhupeshkhanna
12-13-2016, 04:47 PM
It may not even eat for 1 week due to a new environment. Once it is settled it will eat. Remove any uneaten food after 30 minutes, and do not stay in the room to watch it eat after giving the food.

Being a juvenile can she survive without food for that long.. i tried giving food again after a day still not eating...
Bit worried.. whenever i put something in the tank she acts skittish.. i have read golden arowana is not skittish as silvers.?

Don't knw what to do...

Rocksor
12-13-2016, 05:33 PM
a 6" fish will be fine for not eating 1 week.

Put food in, walk away, and clean up 30 minutes later. Keep the lights off over the tank.

AmazonJoe
12-13-2016, 05:36 PM
I would listen to rocksor he provided solid advice

madagascariensis
12-14-2016, 03:29 AM
small fish in a very big (for now) empty tank, could it be that your young arowana is not only travel-stressed, but also feeling insecure? I'm no arowana expert, but it wouldn't be too hard to imagine that a 6 inch fish in the wild would instinctively seek shelter to avoid being eaten by all the larger fish.

Or could it be that the arowana hasn't been weaned off onto dead (i.e. non-moving food) yet? Try dropping a live, moving worm or cricket into the tank and see what happens. Make sure you get the worm/cricket from a clean source though!

bhupeshkhanna
12-14-2016, 04:48 PM
a 6" fish will be fine for not eating 1 week.

Put food in, walk away, and clean up 30 minutes later. Keep the lights off over the tank.

Did as said.. no luck. Not eating...
his seller said he was eating guppies when with him..
however dont want to feed live diet else he may not accept pellets or shrimps ...

Rocksor
12-14-2016, 06:56 PM
Did as said.. no luck. Not eating...
his seller said he was eating guppies when with him..
however dont want to feed live diet else he may not accept pellets or shrimps ...

you have no choice but to provide a guppy every 9 days or so while trying to pellet train

bhupeshkhanna
12-14-2016, 07:02 PM
you have no choice but to provide a guppy every 9 days or so while trying to pellet train

Ok.. also would u suggest if i add 5 small SD's may be after watching them it he may eat and also may not feel insecure bcoz of being alone?

Also would u recommend adding black gravel stones as its a bare bottom tank and he may get afraid seeing his own shadow..?

AmazonJoe
12-14-2016, 08:17 PM
Idk if I would change anything to drastic keep the lights dim and the traffic near and around the tank to a minimum.

Floating plastic plants could help provide instant cover

Rocksor
12-14-2016, 08:46 PM
silver dollars are a skittish fish, and will cause your aro to bolt whenever they get scared. You can try it if you want.

I would keep the tank bare bottom and keep the lights above it off until it starts to eat regularly. Room light should be fine.

bhupeshkhanna
12-16-2016, 06:55 PM
Have put in 6 tiger barbs and 6 dollars, a big ship and stones as well still he is very skittish.. dont know how to deal with him ... [emoji17]
However i had put 8 barbs but he ate 2 of them ..

Skirmitch
12-16-2016, 07:01 PM
Have put in 6 tiger barbs and 6 dollars, a big ship and stones as well still he is very skittish.. dont know how to deal with him ... [emoji17]
However i had put 8 barbs but he ate 2 of them ..

I think thats great news, he is just too used to live food, u will have to do as they said earlier, a guppy every now and then while traning

bhupeshkhanna
12-18-2016, 10:50 AM
He was very skittish and was not improving at all.. I was not even able to go near the tank he was that skittish..so as a last resort i put him into my 10 feet tank yesterday evening with other fishes ( i.e a silver arrowana, oscar, severum and SD,s ) no other fish is bothering him..

when i feed other fishes today may be he start eating... just praying that he starts eating..

Rocksor
12-18-2016, 08:23 PM
6 days is not a long time for adjustment. I've had some fish take up to 2 months.

bhupeshkhanna
12-19-2016, 04:40 PM
Good news friends... moving him to a main tank with other big and medium size fishes worked.. yesterday he took food in his mouth but spit it out however today he ate FD shrimps and Tubiflex worms.. and arowana sticks.. and he is not at all scared now when i move near the tank...

Slaphppy7
12-19-2016, 04:42 PM
Good news indeed, I am happy he has settled down and is eating.