PDA

View Full Version : In the Cat House

Rue
11-14-2016, 07:12 PM
So...we are going to try to see how well we can overwinter the new outside cat, Sox - er, outside.

We didn't have time to put together anything wonderful, so we opted to McGyver a shelter.

First we cleaned out and refreshed an old, double insulated cat house we had built 20 years ago. It will need repainting (and a new roof) at some point, but the inside was pristine. We put it on the south facing side of the garden shed to take advantage of the sun.

Then, I took plastic barrels that someone had 'stored' at our place and then left to us to deal with, and put them on the West and East sides of the little cat house. I figured they will heat up a bit in the sun and as well as providing a decent windbreak.

Then, we hinged two scrap sheets of plywood together to make a roof.

Then we tarped the entire contraption.

We can hang a light bulb from the big roof - but given how open the front still is, I don't know if that will do much good, or is even necessary? Keep in mind it will also be covered in snow for even more insulation and we will pile snow up the front. If we do hang a bulb, it would only be turned on for the very coldest nights.

Thoughts? It didn't quite come together as well as I had thought it would, but I hope it will still work.

Slaphppy7
11-14-2016, 08:08 PM
What if the snow gets so deep it covers the entrance?

Is that the only way in/out?

Otherwise, looks pretty comfy

Rue
11-14-2016, 08:29 PM
Thanks! Yes, that's the only way in and out. We will keep an opening open, so he won't ever be trapped in there, not for any length of time anyways...

Slaphppy7
11-14-2016, 08:38 PM
I just hope that after you go through all of this trouble that he actually uses it, lol

You know how cats are

SueD
11-14-2016, 08:48 PM
I would just be concerned that a foot or 2 or more of snow will collapse the "roof". Or are those barrels sturdy enough to withstand that?

edit: why can't he stay indoors? I hate to see cats outside, although I had one that was indoor/outdoor. But she rarely went out in winter. My other 2 were strictly indoor.

Slaphppy7
11-14-2016, 08:53 PM

Rue
11-14-2016, 09:28 PM
I just hope that after you go through all of this trouble that he actually uses it, lol

You know how cats are

Indeed I do, and that's in part why we didn't want to spend the $$$ to build something 'good'. We had to buy the hinges and the tarp...and that was more than one would think.

I have been feeding him in the cat house, so he goes in it quite willingly, but I honestly don't know if he has been sleeping in it.

I would just be concerned that a foot or 2 or more of snow will collapse the "roof". Or are those barrels sturdy enough to withstand that?

edit: why can't he stay indoors? I hate to see cats outside, although I had one that was indoor/outdoor. But she rarely went out in winter. My other 2 were strictly indoor.

Good question! :D

We had (inadvertently) 4 indoor-only cats for a couple of years. Our two granny cats have since passed away (the last one just a couple of months ago). Now we have the two 3-year old cats. While I quite enjoyed having the 4 cats for a short period of time, I have NO desire to ever have more than 2 indoors again. In fact, I'd prefer to be down to one.

So I do not want a 3rd cat in the house, especially another tom. I don't want cat fighting, cat and dog fighting, or to have to worry about the relationship between an outside cat and my birds. Our current cats were brought in when they were about 6 weeks old, so they are totally used to the 'house' rules. This cat, while still quite young I think, is at least 6 months or older.

This cat is either a stray or has been dumped. He could live in the barn with the other barn cats, but the resident feral tom won't tolerate him, and the feral tom gets first dibs on the barn, since he's been here for a few years now.

Not to mention, there are always stray cats. We have a never-ending supply of stray cats. I can't possibly take them all in.

As far as the snow goes, the roof is strong, and we will keep an eye out on things. It's right beside our house. If we have to take some snow off, we will take it off.

SueD
11-15-2016, 05:07 PM
Well, sounds like you have your hands full of cats! I do miss mine, but will have to wait until my dogs are gone before I get one again. Then I'll just have to worry about cats vs fish tanks.

My indoor/outdoor was a stray I took off the streets in my condo complex so she cried a lot to go out, which is the only reason I let her. My second was her kitten (oops) before I had a chance to get her spayed. The 3rd was also a feral I took in from the grounds where I used to work, but she was only about 8-10 weeks so she adjusted to the indoor life quite easily.

Hope this works out for you and keeps that cat safe and warm.