PDA

View Full Version : Angelfish Aggression

waylon101
11-06-2016, 02:50 PM
I have kept the same two Angelfish in my 29 Gallon Planted tank for probably six months now with no problems at all other than your routine lip locking . I decided to get rid of my firemouth cichlids in my 55 Gallon Blackwater and place the angelfish in there. They have been in there for about 3 weeks now and I noticed that one had a little tearing of the dorsal fin but I woke up this morning to find a good chunk of it missing. You would think that they would have more problems in a 29 gallon than a 55. Does anyone have suggestions? I'm thinking because they are the only fish in the tank besides some cories that they may need some more fish to lower their attitudes lol:hmm3grin2orange: . Any thoughts on splitting up this aggression?

Rocksor
11-06-2016, 04:30 PM
That's what happens when a new territory is given to any cichlid. The only way to decrease it is to introduce more cichlids, but then that increases the chances of aggression again and increases the bioload. If adding more cichlids is not part of your final plan then let them sort it out, no need to separate them just yet.

angelcraze2
11-06-2016, 07:10 PM
Do you know the sexes of your angelfish? Dorsal fins on angelfish are easily torn when they dispute. Ime, the dorsal fin seals back together within 24hrs, it's amazing. Being in a blackwater tank is a good thing, as the tea-colour stained water blocks the line of sight a bit. Angelfish are really big on line of sight for territory. So maybe you could make sure each angel has its own territory by creating a divider (ex. Tall plants or tall decoration in the middle). You really don't have to worry unless you see one angel pinning the other down so it cannot move (or against the glass).