PDA

View Full Version : diet.....?!

squirt_12
11-28-2007, 02:54 AM
ok...so my male betta is about 1.8 years old now and well he is FAT. I don't feed him too much but he is still fat. None of my other bettas are and i feed them all the same things and around the same amount.

what could i do to help him lose the weight??? like he doesn't swim around as much anymore. and i know that it isn't swim bladder because he can swim fine.

what do you suggest???

blu
11-28-2007, 04:07 AM
How much do you feed? If hes not as active as your other bettas you may have to feed him a little less. And are you feeding any frozen or live food? Too much of them can be fattening.

squirt_12
11-28-2007, 09:08 PM
well i feed him 2-3 pellets daily (he is fully grown BTW) and about 1 or 2 times a week he gets about 2-4 frozen blood worms. and instead of the bloodworms 1 day i will use frozen brine shrimp instead.

latley i have been cutting down on the blood worms. he get them about 1-1.5 weeks now. about 3 of them.

is their anything "special" i can feed him that will help his weight???

thanks.

blu
11-28-2007, 09:15 PM
I dont know about anything special you can feed him but your pellet amount sounds fine. I think it may have been the blood worms.. I think its was fine feeding them twice a week but I wouldnt feed more than 2 whole ones. Not sure of the size of your blood worms but going by mine(sanfrancisco bay)4 is too many b/c they are pretty big worms so I only give a couple at a time.

squirt_12
11-28-2007, 09:17 PM
well the thing is though....i feed all of my other bettas the same amount and they arn't that fat.....

blu
11-28-2007, 09:24 PM
Mabey the food was too much for him because he is not as active anymore(1.8yrs is starting to get up there so his activity level probably declined from this). I feed my bettas according to size and activity level. The more active the more food..same thing goes with size. Once you have made your feeding adjustments see if any thing changes with him.

Do you skip a day of feeding every so often?When mine seem to get a bigger stomach I skip a day and it seems to help so mabey this will work with yours.

squirt_12
11-28-2007, 09:27 PM
well the last couple of days i have been giving him about 1-2 pellets and then skip a day then 1-2 pellets. I think that i am going to continue this until he gets to normal size again.

thanks blu :thumb:

blu
11-28-2007, 09:33 PM
Your welcome squirt. Hope I helped ya out.

squirt_12
11-28-2007, 10:42 PM
yeah you did.....thanks blu :thumb: