PDA

View Full Version : oscar housing

kaianuanu
11-28-2007, 02:49 AM
hi i have 2 baby oscars they are just under 2 inches each. i have them in a 10 gallon. how long can they live in that? i have a 55 gallon tank that will be open for them to use in a year or probably less. in the 55 currently i have a savanna monitor lizard that will be about 4 feet long in a year (tooooooooo big).

but my main question is how long can the baby oscars live in the 10 gallon

and can they live for the rest of their lives in the 55 gallon:help:

cocoa_pleco
11-28-2007, 02:54 AM
2 need a bare minimum 75g, and only for another month not even can they live in a 10g

Fishguy2727
11-28-2007, 02:59 AM
They can stay in the 10 while you get the 55 ready for them asap. The 55 will be fine until they are 8-10", then they need a 75 minimum. This could be in about a year.

How big is the savanna monitor now?
Most only hit about 3', only really old, big ones get to be 4'.

OscarFan
12-12-2007, 03:21 AM
I would give them a month maybe 2. and I reccomend a 90 for 2

SpaceBison
12-22-2007, 06:59 PM
My bro Aquabison's oscar is about 6" long he's got the hole in the head disease and it's in a 55g tank. In the tank is the oscar and 1 pleco. We need more fish. But is his tank to small or is it fine?

gm72
12-22-2007, 07:15 PM
My bro Aquabison's oscar is about 6" long he's got the hole in the head disease and it's in a 55g tank. In the tank is the oscar and 1 pleco. We need more fish. But is his tank to small or is it fine?

Too small. Bad water quality=HITH.

Dave66
12-22-2007, 07:50 PM
Too small. Bad water quality=HITH.

Too small plus insufficient diet = HITH, gm. Bad water quality doesn't help, but isn't the root cause of HITH.
Proof is a properly varied diet eliminates the HITH unless it is left too long.

Dave

cocoa_pleco
12-22-2007, 08:30 PM
dave is right, too little needed vitamins in the oscars died leads to HITH too. thats why some people say that carbon can lead to HITH, because carbon absorbs good minerals

SpaceBison
12-22-2007, 09:24 PM
What do you think we should feed him? We feed him Cichlids pellets right now and for his hole in the head were giving him tetracilin along with the cichlid pellets.

OscarFan
12-22-2007, 11:33 PM
Blood worms
krill

Fishguy2727
12-23-2007, 01:56 AM
Try treating with a medicine that has metronidazole in it, IF there are parasites involved it will know them out. Otherwise there is no use for nay medicine.

I differentiate between HITH and HLLE in that HITH involves parasites and HLLE does not. So if there are no parasites it shifts over to HLLE.

HLLE seems to be like dropsy, not a disease in itself, but a symptom with many possible causes.

If there is carbon in the filters remove it.

I feed New Life Spectrum and so far no HLLE in any of the three oscars I have. The only other food I would consider feeding is Hikari Cichlid Bio-Gold+ because it contains viable bacteria that can outcompete the HITH cuasing parasites.

For a little more info you can check out the thread I started on HITH and HLLE in the diseases section.

What brand of cichlid pellets are you feeding?

OscarFan
12-23-2007, 02:24 AM
Once again OscarFans Cure for Hole in the head

1. Quarintine
2. raise temp to 82-84
3.feed a large variety of food
5.Use a broad ranged medicine like tetracyline
6. Put some sort of medicine that adds a stress coat(aqua-salt)

SpaceBison
12-23-2007, 03:06 AM
Okay thanks oscar fan ill try that

Fishguy2727
12-23-2007, 04:51 AM
That may work for some cases, but as said there is not a single cause. The only parasites, or any pathogens for that matter, shown to be associated with HITH are Hexamita spp. and Spironucleus vortens, both susceptible to metronidazole. Carbon needs to be removed to make sure that isn't one of or the only cause.

Variety is not a nutrient. The goal is a balanced and complete diet. That used to require variety, but NLS is an exception in my experience and the experience of many others. NLS has even been shown to reverse HLLE in marine species. So in my experience a complete diet does not necessarily require variety, at least not if the diet is NLS.

Bassfan
12-23-2007, 05:33 AM
hey fishguy, could you tell me the exact NLS food thats the very best for oscars?? Right at the moment i have hikari cichlid gold and i think i want better stuff. thanks.

Fishguy2727
12-23-2007, 02:57 PM
NLS is almost all the same. That sounds bad at first, but many high quality foods are this way. I have seen it in the best dog foods, bird foods, fish foods, etc. So it is not necessarily which Formula is best, but which size pellet is the best. Most sink, which unless they are on sand or a bare bottom tank you do not want. I feed most of the cichlids at work the Jumbo Fish Formula. It is a 4.5mm floating food. This may sound big, but even 2" mbunas take this. They simply grab one and run around with it while it softens. This can really help keep aggressive feeders busy so others get a chance to eat. If he is already or once he gets bigger you can feed the Extra Large Fish Formula which is a 7.5mm floating food.

gm72
12-23-2007, 02:59 PM
Thanks to Dave and Fishguy for the information for clarification.

Lady Hobbs
12-23-2007, 03:13 PM
Why not return your fish and get fish that actually fit in your tank?

Fish grow very fast.