PDA

View Full Version : DIY Moonlight

kkevvy
11-28-2007, 02:47 AM
So I started reading up on moonlights, and I figured hey, they can't be that hard, so maybe I'll make one.

This is probably the simplest way to make a moonlight EVER.

I went to Autozone, I got the 6" Blue LED Bend-a-light. Its a 6 inch long tube with a blue LED at each end. My aquarium is only 20g, so its bright enough (though they do come in up to 25inch, I think).

It plugs into a 12vDC Cigarette adapter.

What I did was simply cut the cigarette adapter off, and expose the wires.

Then I found an old wall adapter. I found one with an output of 10vDC. I cut the wires off of that, exposed them, and attached them to the LED light. It lit up like a charm. I taped the wires up with some electrical tape.

I was thinking of a way to easily secure it to my hood, when I realized it had oh-so-nifty adhesive pads on it! voila! Attached like nothing, and looks great!

Its totally awesome watching my ghost catfish and my black kuhli loaches swimming around at night, expecially since you like never see them during the day.

Heres a pic, its not the greatest, but my camera kinda stinks.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y146/kkevo/PB270020.jpg

PS:
If you look on the bottom, you can see one of platy's eyes! haha, creepy.

Algenco
11-28-2007, 03:23 AM
Great find! I've seen that a lot of people are getting LED's from Radio Shack and powering with old cell phone chargers

mitcore
11-28-2007, 04:47 AM
looks great
great idea

Drumachine09
11-28-2007, 05:16 AM
Probably not the best idea to use electrical tape. Your best bet would be to take apart the casing of the adapter, strip the old solder, freeing the old wires, are soldering the wires to the light directly into the circuit.

It looks cool though!

cocoa_pleco
11-28-2007, 05:18 AM
awesome idea! i run them on my reef

shockshockshad
11-28-2007, 12:43 PM
Are moonlights the same as lunar lights? I assume they are.....

markbob
11-28-2007, 03:20 PM
It looks great but I have to agree with Drummachine, at the very least, shrink wrap the connection. Just looking out for your safety.

Azear
11-28-2007, 03:27 PM
Nice way to get a moonlighting :D

for mine, I used a 20" LED strip I bought on Ebay (costed me 6$ shipping included)... and hooked it on an Old Computer PSU (which control my venting system too) and works like a charm...

have a look at pics

EDIT: I know it's not soldered on the pictures but it IS now... that picture was old and it's properly installed now ;) so no worry

Lady Hobbs
11-28-2007, 03:40 PM
Great idea and I love the look.

I was thinking of using my old hood lights and getting some colored light covers from Home Depot and sliding the bulbs into them. Not as cool as yours but it would work. Once you turn your plant lights off at night, it's rather boring looking at a totally dark tank.

kkevvy
11-28-2007, 08:56 PM
Once you turn your plant lights off at night, it's rather boring looking at a totally dark tank.

I agree.
I usually find myself twiddling with the timer, debating whether to turn the main light back on or not. haha.