PDA

View Full Version : Why is it soooo hard...

kkevvy
11-28-2007, 02:24 AM
...to get friggen live plants!

I went to 3 LFS, as well as Petco and Petsmart, and with the exception of Petco and Petsmart, who carry the same old expensive plants in the tubes, no one sells live plants.

I ordered the plants in my aquarium online, from aquariumgarden.com, and they came great, But jeez. Its tough. Theres a few more pet stores in my area, so I'll call them... but wow.

On the subject, if I want a carpet should I get dwarf hairgrass or should I get java moss?

Algenco
11-28-2007, 02:29 AM
What type of plants are you looking for? I have a lot of Ludwigia, wisteria,java moss, and a butt load of baby swords.

For a carpet, marselia or glosso would be good

squirt_12
11-28-2007, 03:01 AM
wow...Petsmart doesnt carry any live plants???? (besides the ones in the tubes)???

well the petsmart by me carries all sorts of live plants in a tank. they have probably about....20 different species of plants in a tank.

good luck in finding some:thumb:

P.S.
Did you ask people working there if they can order in some live plants for you????

kkevvy
11-28-2007, 03:08 AM
I have alot of plants, like wisteria, hornwort, swords, some anubias, and a bunch of others. I'm look for something to make a nice thick carpet as well as something else that is red. I like the contrast of red on green, and 3 red [plants would like nice.

I was thinking of something like Rotala rotundifolia(indica), but I can't really find many other red plants.

I could get some glosso, if it forms a nice carpet.

Also, would you suggest getting some plant substrate? does it need to be replaced often? or not? I like my black gravel, but Its not like I can't get rid of it easily enough.

My aquarium is a 20gallon long, so I'd need about... 20lbs of the substrate?

Algenco
11-28-2007, 03:19 AM
The cheapest is Shultz Aqua soil 1 bag would probably be enough. I get it at Lowes for $7

If you can find it, Soil Master Select works well and is available in charcoal @$16 for 50# at Lessco dealers

kkevvy
11-28-2007, 03:22 AM
The cheapest is Shultz Aqua soil 1 bag would probably be enough. I get it at Lowes for $7

If you can find it, Soil Master Select works well and is available in charcoal @$16 for 50# at Lessco dealers

Jeez, 16 bux for 50#... thats a screamin deal. I have some farm and feed shops around here that carry alot of specialty stuff, I'll check it out. Thanks.

EDIT: I don't think theres any Lessco Dealers around here... I'll have to check out some other places, If I get my 55 gallon then I'll look more closely...

Algenco
11-28-2007, 03:33 AM
Jeez, 16 bux for 50#... thats a screamin deal. I have some farm and feed shops around here that carry alot of specialty stuff, I'll check it out. Thanks.

EDIT: I don't think theres any Lessco Dealers around here... I'll have to check out some other places, If I get my 55 gallon then I'll look more closely...

SMS is manufactured by OilDri, find a dealer and they may be able to get it for you.
It is not the best (ADA,Flourite) but it works well.
It is very light and takes several days to become saturated, so you can add fertz and iron and it will soak it up.

kkevvy
11-28-2007, 08:54 PM
Cool, thanks. Where would I get Iron?

squirt_12
11-28-2007, 08:56 PM
Cool, thanks. Where would I get Iron?
you can buy plant fertilizers at your LFS which contain iron in them. They are great for fertilizing plants :)

kkevvy
11-28-2007, 08:57 PM
Oh cool. Nice and simple. thanks.