PDA

View Full Version : What are your Corys' favorite food?

Silbar
10-14-2016, 04:03 PM
Now that I finally have some Corys of my own I will be experimenting with different foods to find out what they prefer to eat. Today I will be feeding the tank frozen bloodworms.

I have in my supply: Frozen Clycops, Frozen Brine Shrimp, Ken's Earthworm sticks, NLS small fish pellets, Algae Max pellets and wafers, some samples of Omega One Shrimp Pellets and Super Color pellets, Elive Mysis/Spirulina/brine shrimp flakes, and Hikari small pellets.

Please tell me what your Corys love to eat and guide in the right direction. Please include brand name if you have them. Thanks:22:

AmazonJoe
10-14-2016, 04:05 PM
I've been using cobalt pellets they just sit and munch on down with those.

BluewaterBoof
10-14-2016, 04:10 PM
Mine eat pretty much whatever I put in the tank. Everything from bloodworms and brine shrimp to sinking wafers and carnivore pellets. They will also eat veggies, but they don't seem to attack the veggies with the same gusto.

BluewaterBoof
10-14-2016, 04:15 PM
Bloodworms are always a big hit. It's funny watching them suck up the worms like spaghetti :)

Slaphppy7
10-14-2016, 04:20 PM
Mine pretty much eat anything I throw at them, too...earthworm sticks and algae wafers are probably the biggest hits

Silbar
10-14-2016, 04:34 PM
I've been using cobalt pellets they just sit and munch on down with those.
Joe, which Cobalt pellets do you use. I do have a sample of Cobalt Cichlid Premium Fish Pellets?

Silbar
10-14-2016, 04:35 PM
Boof, how many cubes of frozen bloodworms to you feed at one time (in your large tank)? I am trying to be sure that some worms actually get to the bottom before the other fish scoop them up.

SueD
10-14-2016, 04:52 PM
Mine at anything on your list - frozen bloodworms, NLS pellets, earthworm sticks, frozen brine/spirulina brine, flakes, etc.

BluewaterBoof
10-14-2016, 05:23 PM
Boof, how many cubes of frozen bloodworms to you feed at one time (in your large tank)? I am trying to be sure that some worms actually get to the bottom before the other fish scoop them up.

I've experimented and found it to be more efficient to give bloodworms to my cories on different days than when I feed bloodworms to the other fish. When I want to treat the cories, I distract the tetras and gouramis with some floating foods like flakes or freeze-dried brine shrimp on one end of the tank, then dump in a whole cube's worth of bloodworms into the other end of the tank. Some of the other fish catch on, but the cories get a nice healthy feast.

Rocksor
10-14-2016, 07:06 PM
Now that I finally have some Corys of my own I will be experimenting with different foods to find out what they prefer to eat. Today I will be feeding the tank frozen bloodworms.

I have in my supply: Frozen Clycops, Frozen Brine Shrimp, Ken's Earthworm sticks, NLS small fish pellets, Algae Max pellets and wafers, some samples of Omega One Shrimp Pellets and Super Color pellets, Elive Mysis/Spirulina/brine shrimp flakes, and Hikari small pellets.

Please tell me what your Corys love to eat and guide in the right direction. Please include brand name if you have them. Thanks:22:

You've got a lot of good choices just do not overfeed, and be tempted to make sure each one has full rounded bellies. My 16-21 year old cories were fed Wardley Shrimp pellets about 3-4 times a week, not the best food.

Shrimp Meal, Wheat Flour, Fish Protein Concentrate, Meat Meal, Soy Flour, Dried Beet Pulp, Poultry Meal, Dried Cultured Whey, Dried Brewer's Yeast, Wheat Germ Meal, Lignin Sulfonate, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate, Sodium Ascorbate, Calcium Carbonate, Vitamin A Acetate, d-Activated Animal Sterol (Vitamin D3 Supplement), Magnesium Oxide, Choline Chloride, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Manganous Oxide, Niacin Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Copper Sulfate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Calcium Pantothenate, Calcium Iodate, Cobalt Carbonate, Folic Acid, Biotin, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin B12 Supplement.

AmazonJoe
10-14-2016, 07:28 PM
Joe, which Cobalt pellets do you use. I do have a sample of Cobalt Cichlid Premium Fish Pellets?

I use the smallest sinking cichlid pellets with pro biotics. All of my fish love it actually. Even my plecos.

Silbar
10-14-2016, 07:57 PM
I use the smallest sinking cichlid pellets with pro biotics. All of my fish love it actually. Even my plecos.
Thanks, I think that is what I have.

I've experimented and found it to be more efficient to give bloodworms to my cories on different days than when I feed bloodworms to the other fish. When I want to treat the cories, I distract the tetras and gouramis with some floating foods like flakes or freeze-dried brine shrimp on one end of the tank, then dump in a whole cube's worth of bloodworms into the other end of the tank. Some of the other fish catch on, but the cories get a nice healthy feast.
That's what I do for the lemon tetras! I put in a few round pellets and the Lemons take off and have a soccer game with them. Then I put in the food for the others and this gives them a chance before the lemons catch on. My gourami knows to hang out beneath the food ring and he get's his share.

BluewaterBoof
10-14-2016, 08:53 PM
It's always fun watching the soccer games haha I used to get so mad at them at first. "No! That wafer was for the cories, you stupid, stupid little fish!" Now I just dump in like six or seven wafers so that some of them reach the bottom for the cories and loaches.

madagascariensis
10-15-2016, 03:28 AM
perhaps my cories were very well fed, but they never seemed very enthusiastic for pellets even though the pellets were of extremely high quality (NLS and northfin). They tended to inhale the pellets, "chew" on them for a while and spit everything out through their gills. Instead, they went nuts for brine shrimp and live worms of all kinds. Sunken flake food also was greedily taken. I suspect that the softness of the flakes was easier on the cories' throats than hard pellets.

Silbar
10-15-2016, 03:11 PM
The bloodworms were a BIG hit with the corys yesterday!! Like Boof said, they sucked them up like spaghetti.

angelcraze2
10-16-2016, 05:54 PM
If your cories are nocturnal, you could try feeding just after the lights go out? I do this for my plecos, but don't have any cories:(

angelcraze2
10-16-2016, 06:15 PM
It's funny how we all have our tricks to feed our fish in community tanks. My angels mostly eat pellets floating on the top and I release smaller pellets below the water's surface to watch the tetra feeding frenzy.....just like piranhas. While the tetras have their mouths full, the angels gracefullly keep skimming the top for floating foods.

When I feed bloodworms, brine shrimp, I hand-feed the angelfish, and while their mouths are full, I dump the rest in below the water's surface and the tetras gobble it all up.

Boundava
10-16-2016, 06:21 PM
When I put in fresh zucchini...watermelon, other melons, and winter squash my corys also love them. I also use the Kens line of Earthworm, shrimp, catfish, and veggie sticks. They love them all. Ocaasionaly I throw in the Hikkarii bottom wafers. Also they love the Can O bloodworms/shrimp/cyops as well as frozen foods. Basicaly they eat everything I put in the tank. Very good foragers.

Silbar
10-16-2016, 07:21 PM
Nat, I was surprised to see how big the shrimp are in the Can O'Shrimp. Do you cut them up or feed them whole?

angelcraze2
10-16-2016, 11:58 PM
Nat, I was surprised to see how big the shrimp are in the Can O'Shrimp. Do you cut them up or feed them whole?

I wonder how to feed these as well, mine are freeze-dried neocaridina size. Kind of gross.

Boundava
10-17-2016, 01:22 AM
I feed them whole and believe it or not they dissapear. Even my ammanos grab one and run/swim away. You can cut them if you wanr to.

waylon101
11-10-2016, 11:10 PM
Whatever is on the sand bed ;)