PDA

View Full Version : New fish can't figure out what they are

jnskthrn
08-05-2006, 09:59 PM
Hello everyone. I posted about Frank my daughter and I's Lionhead goldfish and how he died yesterday. Well we have started out fresh today. After she said goodbye to him we went and took care of some things completely cleaned out the tank, gravel and plants. I took her to a good store. A store that specializes in selling fish and other oceanic animals. We thought about buying a clownfish but backed out of that cause I told the guy I was looking for a beginner fish. So anyway he showed us three types of fish and one happened to be a fish that I don't remember the name of. That's where I need your help. We bought two of them and they are beautiful. They have a neon tetra type body but slightly bigger and this beautiful tail that fans out with orange and black. They had some that were yellow and black too. They are fast swimmers. And they eat pretty much any fish food. I also by the way bought different water treatment that has a destresser in it and reduces nitrites and nitrates. He also said he would test my water for me free. Anyway... SO if anyone out there can tell me what these fish are I would be so greatful! Thanks,
Katherine :D

William
08-05-2006, 10:26 PM
It might be a guppy you are refering to. A picture would really help.

Sorry to hear that the goldfish died.

I recommend that you download my ebook to help avoid future problems.

jnskthrn
08-05-2006, 11:01 PM
...OK it didn't work I can't get the picture to load in here. I guess I won't know lol.

OK hope that worked. That was the best picture I could get of the little guys. They swim really fast and I had to be up close cause they aren't big fish so it's a little blurry. Anyway. How do I download your ebook? I am interested in all the knowledge I can get on my fish. Well I hope you can tell me what kind of fish these guys are even with my cruddy picture. I barely knew how to get it in this reply. Thanks again!
Katherine

William
08-06-2006, 03:59 AM
You can email me the picture directly and I'll take a look at it since you don't succed in posting it here. email admin@aquaticcommunity.com

you can download my ebook if you go to
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html
You need to have pop ups activated for the download to work.

jnskthrn
08-06-2006, 02:17 PM
Thanks so much. I will email you the pic. I will also go to download the ebook. I appreciate all the help.

Katherine

William
08-06-2006, 07:41 PM
Glad to be able to help.

The fish in the pic is Guppy.

jnskthrn
08-07-2006, 12:01 AM
Hey I did go back to the fish store today to get a syphon for her tank and I checked the label on those fish. He has them labeled black skirted tetras. So I am assuming that's what they are. What exactly makes a fish a guppy?
Thanks,
Katherine

William
08-07-2006, 12:41 AM
No. The fish you bought are not black skirt tetras, they are Guppy (guppies pl). Guppy is a species of fish. they are livebearers and very suitable for beginners. You will have fry before you know it.
I'll attach the picture of your fish below so that other people can se the pic we are talking about.
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/images/guppy.jpg

black skirt tetras looks like this:
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/images/Freshwater/gymnocorymbus_ternetzi_1.jpg
and you and read more about them here: Blackskirt Tetra - Gymnocorymbus ternetzi (http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/encyclopedia-340.html)

MagickFish
08-08-2006, 08:49 AM
I have had one of those in the second photho, we call them axe fish in Norway I think, cute fish. And in the top photo, what an adorable guppy.

jnskthrn
08-08-2006, 02:28 PM
Magickfish-
Thanks for the compliments on my guppies. I find them to be very adorable as well. I want to get one with yellow and black on the tail next.

william-
Thanks for showing me the picture of a black skirt tetra. I am not sure why they didn't have the guppies labeled. I did check out some pictures online of guppies and found an almost identical one of the ones we own. I am going to buy a water test kit today though cause their water is starting to cloud up a little. No odor just a little cloudy. any ideas as to why?
Thanks,
Katherine

MagickFish
08-08-2006, 03:16 PM
I have seen some beautiful dark purple guppy males I want, they are real frindly to and come over to the glass when you and around and follow the movement of your fingers. Apperantly guppys are real sosial fish.

jnskthrn
08-08-2006, 03:21 PM
Yea these guys were a little scared of us at first but now they love to come up to the glass when we are standing there and they follow us back and forth. You are definitely right, they are a social fish. I find myself wanting to fill the tank with more but I must wait until I get a bigger tank. And I can't do that until we move. All in due time. These guys are gonna love their new tank when it comes though! The dark purple guppy sounds really beautiful. I will keep my eyes open around here to see if I can find one just so I can see what they look like.
Take care,
Katherine

MagickFish
08-08-2006, 04:08 PM
I was wared though that the colorful ones are the males, and if one have many males in a smal think one should not have a female or they will start to fight. I want to have several to, I am going to have 5 of them in my tank, and two red platy and an alge eater.

William
08-08-2006, 10:11 PM
A possible reason for the clouding is raising nitrite/nitrate and/or ammonia levels.

This is usually an indication that you feed a little to much.

jnskthrn
08-08-2006, 10:29 PM
OK Thanks. I will stick to feeding every other day for a little while. Will it clear up on it's own or do I need to treat?
Thanks again,
Katherine

William
08-09-2006, 01:23 AM
Should clear up by itself but water changes and siphoning/removing debrise will speed up the process.

kimmers318
08-09-2006, 11:01 AM
The cloudiness could also be coming from the fact that you said you cleaned the tank all out, which probably destroyed alot of your good bacteria putting your tank thru a cycle again.

MagickFish
08-09-2006, 03:47 PM
Is it not some stuff one can buy to get the bacteria flowing again. I watched tetra`s comersial/information video that came whit my aquarium and they seam to sell alot of stuff, that do alot of strange things.