PDA

View Full Version : mixing cory's

dansan
10-11-2016, 10:09 PM
hey everyone, looking to throw some cory cats in my 29G and trying to get some feedback.

was originally looking at the pepper corys, maybe 4 or 5 of them. then i saw the panda corys right next to them and the thought came to mind of mixing the two. could i do 3 of each? or is it best to do all of 1 kind?

BluewaterBoof
10-11-2016, 10:22 PM
My sterbai never mixed with my false julii, and my albinos never mixed with my sterbai, either.

I would suggest just sticking to one type if you're only doing 5 of them.

AmazonJoe
10-11-2016, 10:31 PM
I have around 5 pandas 10 sterbai and 11 trilineatus they all mix fine but this is at a large group behavior. I would recommended getting as many as possible if you mix. Groups of 5 with whichever individual species.

What is your filtration? And thats your current stock list in your signature?

DoubleDutch
10-12-2016, 07:12 AM
(Social) behaviour is different (defintely between panda and peppered)and several species definitely don't school together.
Others might group but don't really school. In a 29G Indefintely would go for 1 species.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G925F met Tapatalk

dansan
10-12-2016, 01:43 PM
I have around 5 pandas 10 sterbai and 11 trilineatus they all mix fine but this is at a large group behavior. I would recommended getting as many as possible if you mix. Groups of 5 with whichever individual species.

What is your filtration? And thats your current stock list in your signature?

have an aqueon 50 on the tank right now and yes signature is my current stock list. Going to be adding some corys and more serpae tetras.

Boundava
10-12-2016, 01:56 PM
I agree. You should keep corys in species groups of 5+, you can mix species in a tank if you have the room to keep different species.

dansan
10-12-2016, 02:09 PM
sounds good. thanks for the feedback. i'm leaning towards the pepper corys but pandas are a close second. my LFS has a ton of both but trying to see how many i should drop in the tank. was originally thinking 3 but i think 4-6 will be better.

Boundava
10-12-2016, 02:27 PM
5-6, 4 isn't big enough group, they will not be active. The more of one species you have the bolder they are; safety in numbers.

Rocksor
10-12-2016, 03:27 PM
I would purchase more than 8 of any species of schooling fish.

PaulPerger
10-12-2016, 04:03 PM
5-6, 4 isn't big enough group, they will not be active. The more of one species you have the bolder they are; safety in numbers.

This is very true. I had a group of 10 siblings that I split into two groups when they were very young, one group of four and one group of 6. The smaller group just kind of hung out in a corner of their tank while the group of six ruled the lower level of their tank. I put them all back together again, and they are all over the place, all day long, and always as one big group. I will never again do a cory group of smaller than 8-10.

BluewaterBoof
10-12-2016, 04:08 PM
I agree with Rocksor. You should increase your existing schooling fish. Those skirts and serpae really need to be in large groups. 7 each, at the very minimum.

AmazonJoe
10-12-2016, 04:13 PM
good call^^ I always go with 10 but I purchased only 5 pandas since I already had 21 other corys so they naturally will gather with the group at large numbers.

I like the look of the pandas personally so they get my vvote. You should get as many as possible so 8-10 is ideal for them to school and group up.
Anything under they will tend to not group up as much and overall be more stressed and feel less secure

So in your aqueon filter what type of media do you use? Any added biomedia not sure what the aqueon come with.

Slaphppy7
10-12-2016, 04:36 PM
You should increase your existing schooling fish. Those skirts and serpae really need to be in large groups. 7 each, at the very minimum.

Same advice I gave the OP a while back, in another thread

dansan
10-12-2016, 09:23 PM
thanks everyone for the input, I am definitely taking it to heart. I am slowly increasing the skirts and serpae schools right now. will get those going before i drop in some corys

in the aqueon filter i have the normal cartridge running but behind the filter i dropped a bunch of ceramic rings. in that area to the left of it, i packed it with bio balls to help hold good bacteria.

just for arguments sake, if i bring my current stock of skirts and serpaes to 7+ each, plus my other guys.. adding a good 7 or 8 corys, would that be too much?

AmazonJoe
10-12-2016, 09:43 PM
thanks everyone for the input, I am definitely taking it to heart. I am slowly increasing the skirts and serpae schools right now. will get those going before i drop in some corys

in the aqueon filter i have the normal cartridge running but behind the filter i dropped a bunch of ceramic rings. in that area to the left of it, i packed it with bio balls to help hold good bacteria.

just for arguments sake, if i bring my current stock of skirts and serpaes to 7+ each, plus my other guys.. adding a good 7 or 8 corys, would that be too much?

I use this for stocking ccapacities www.aqadvisor.com.

Just keep in mind the advisor uses the stock filters to determine biocapcity.

The cartridge that came with the filter is likely not as efficient at holding bacteria as the ceramics or bioballs so I would get more biomedia and add as much as possible and remove the cartridge. This would be a good time to do so with the light stocking.

Then there will be a better chance your filter can handle the added bioload.

I would say that your pushing the limits for a 29g and will have a lot more maintenance and would need to check your water pretty much daily to avoid ammonia spikes or pH crashes etc..

Possibly get one of the tetras rather then both at a large school

dansan
10-12-2016, 09:58 PM
I use this for stocking ccapacities www.aqadvisor.com.

Just keep in mind the advisor uses the stock filters to determine biocapcity.

The cartridge that came with the filter is likely not as efficient at holding bacteria as the ceramics or bioballs so I would get more biomedia and add as much as possible and remove the cartridge. This would be a good time to do so with the light stocking.

Then there will be a better chance your filter can handle the added bioload.

I would say that your pushing the limits for a 29g and will have a lot more maintenance and would need to check your water pretty much daily to avoid ammonia spikes or pH crashes etc..

Possibly get one of the tetras rather then both at a large school

Yea ive been using that calculator but also wanted to get some "real world" experience and feedback. appreciate the help!

AmazonJoe
10-12-2016, 10:02 PM
No problem also another good idea would be to add a second filter.

Slaphppy7
10-12-2016, 10:49 PM
No problem also another good idea would be to add a second filter.

Highly agree with the above, you're underfiltered for the future stocking you'd like.
I've a short memory, remind me which filter you currently have?

Silbar
10-12-2016, 11:16 PM
Aqueon 50 filter

BluewaterBoof
10-12-2016, 11:18 PM
I had a ridiculous amount of animals in a 29g at one point. 7 rasbora, 7 pristella, 22 neons, 1 pearl gourami, dozens of red cherry shrimp, 7 amano shrimp, 10 brigittae boraras, 9 pygmy cories, and 1 oto. That was with lots of plants and two filters, both of which were rated for 50g tanks and I had my own customized media in them. The filters had no problem handling the bio load, and the tank was clean. The fish looked fine and there was never any aggression. It was my first and only tank, so I just kept loading more fish into it because I was hooked on the hobby and had no where else to put my new animals.

When I finally started getting more tanks, I moved a good chunk of those critters out of the 29g. It was then that I noticed how cramped things really were. The behaviors of the fish totally changed. They became much more active and ones that I thought just preferred to hang out in the plants or back of tank were now out in the open. The dynamics of the whole tank changed, and when I saw that I felt bad. Granted, I was a new excited hobbyist, but I still overstocked the hell out of that tank. I think AqAdvisor was putting me at like 160%, if I recall correctly. The bio load was manageable, but the fish did not enjoy being cramped.

Although I had higher numbers than you, a lot of those fish were smaller than yours. From my own experience with a 29g, I would boost your tetras up to proper school sizes but I advise caution with adding more fish beyond that. As much as it killed me to wait, I didn't get any normal-sized cories until I got a bigger tank. If you want to add some extra variety to your tank, load that baby up with some shrimp. They spend all their time scavenging, cleaning up any uneaten food, and it is fun watching them breed. I remember how I squealed like a little girl the first time I saw little baby shrimplets crawling around :)

dansan
10-12-2016, 11:36 PM
Once again everyone thanks for the awesome feedback and help. I've only been doing this for about 6 or 7 months so everything is a learning experience right now. I think I'll stop adding when I get my tetra schools up and hold off on the corys. This should keep me within my stock limit and also filtration limit.

I live in a 3rd floor apartment so right now a 29G fits my lifestyle and also my experience level. Maybe down the road when I move out I'll grab a 55 or 75 and then load her up

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Slaphppy7
10-12-2016, 11:51 PM
Good plan.

Get an AC50 for your second filter

https://www.amazon.com/AquaClear-50-Power-Filter-Listed/dp/B000260FUM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1476316235&sr=8-1&keywords=aquaclear+50

dansan
10-12-2016, 11:58 PM
Good plan.

Get an AC50 for your second filter

https://www.amazon.com/AquaClear-50-Power-Filter-Listed/dp/B000260FUM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1476316235&sr=8-1&keywords=aquaclear+50
I will look into it, thanks.

You still think an extra filter is needed?

AmazonJoe
10-13-2016, 12:04 AM
I usually always double my filtration and it will only benefit you and the tank inhabitants.

Slaphppy7
10-13-2016, 12:33 AM
You still think an extra filter is needed?

Any tank of mine bigger than a 10G will always be twin-filtered, or more