PDA

View Full Version : Went to LFS...need help deciding!

missourigrl
08-05-2006, 08:53 PM
Hello. I posted here a while back about wanting to try cichlids. Well, I was finally able to visit the LFS today and this is what they had in cichlids:

Convict
Yellow Lab
Electric Blue Johanni
Lemon Cichlid
Cobalt Blue Cichlid
Bolivian Ram
Jack Dempsey

I have a 37 gallon Eclipse. Would I be able to keep any of these in my aquarium and how many? I was thinking about the Lemon's, Cobalt Blue's, and Bolivian Rams. At the store the convicts and jack dempsey's were in separate tanks. The yellow labs and electric blue johanni's were together, and the lemon's, cobalt blue's, and bolivian ram's were together so I'm assuming they were compatible with each other.

Thanks!

William
08-05-2006, 10:22 PM
Not really.
Theyare more suitable to be kept together in the following groupings.

Group 1
Jack Dempsey
Convict

Group 2
Lemon cichlids

Group 3
Bolivian ram

Group 4
Yellow Lab
Electric Blue Johanni
Cobalt Blue Cichlid

What type of cichlid tank to you want? do you want plants?

missourigrl
08-06-2006, 03:43 AM
I have plastic plants...I don't want real. I'm not sure what you mean by what kind of cichlid tank. I'm new to cichlids.

Thanks!

William
08-06-2006, 04:05 AM
ok. group one are central American cichlids. They are easy to care for and quite aggressive.

The second group is from Lake Tangyaika and requires high pH.

The third group is from South America and Bolivian rams are small rather colourless fishes that want soft water. They are very friendly and can be kept together with tetras and other fish while the other groups are best kept with other cichlids.

The fourth group is cichlids from Lake Malawi in Africa. They are mouth brooders and want an aquarium with a lot of rock formations. These cichlids also prefer high pH.

The easiest of this fishes to keep and breed are convicts.

Does this help in any small way?