PDA

View Full Version : Angelfish not swimming

angelcraze2
09-16-2016, 02:04 AM
I was about to so some water changes, and out of nowhere, one of my platinum angelfish was lodged in a corner not moving. I swear, it was eating when I fed them all an hour before. I don't understand. It looks fine, just won't swim. It looks like it's chocking? It can't swim upright. He lying in a net at the moment.

Anyone know what to do?

angelcraze2
09-16-2016, 02:33 AM
Ph=7.4
Ammonia=0ppm
Nitrite=0pmm
Nitrate=0pmm (due to the heavily planted tank)

What could have happened? Water changes are 50% every 7-10 days with aged water. Filter is an Aquaclear 70 and I rinse the media every water change as well as wipe the aquarium glass. Last water change was a week ago.

angelcraze2
09-16-2016, 02:35 AM
https://youtu.be/F8FMFVyqNBw

angelcraze2
09-16-2016, 02:43 AM
It really looks like he might be chocking. He opens his mouth wide in a jerky fashion. He swam a bit and darted, but probably because he is in a net. I think it's for his own safety though.

PaulPerger
09-16-2016, 11:30 AM
I am not familiar with Angelfish, but did it make it through the night?

I had a Black Skirt Tetra about a year ago that was doing the same kind of thing one day, and then the next day he was fine.

As a last resort, or maybe an early one, you might try using an eye dropper to suck out his mouth, maybe he has something lodged in there.

Slaphppy7
09-16-2016, 12:01 PM
Sorry about the angel, I have no clue what was going on there

RiversGirl
09-16-2016, 03:14 PM
I'm so sorry to find this has gone on. I hope that you were able to help your angel and that he pulled through.

angelcraze2
09-16-2016, 04:02 PM
I'll go check on him, the eye dropper idea Paul is a good one. Better than my plyer or tweezer idea. Tx all!

angelcraze2
09-16-2016, 04:19 PM
He didn't make it :(

Thanks for all the concern and help from everybody. The thing that bothers me the most is I have no idea why he died. He left behind a female platinum breeding partner. I might have to add her to a tank with more angelfish in case she gets depressed.

Ahhhh :( he was soooo beautiful and only two years old. Way to young to go.

Slaphppy7
09-16-2016, 04:22 PM
Very sorry for your loss.

angelcraze2
09-16-2016, 04:25 PM
To my beautiful platinum male angelfish

:l24::1luvu:

angelcraze2
09-16-2016, 04:55 PM
For some reason, I think he might have eaten a small floating MTS snail and chocked. If he had stuffed his mouth with pellets, they would have softened and gone down. I might look into this. It boggles my brain why he passed like that.

angelcraze2
09-16-2016, 05:01 PM
More commemoration pics of him and his lady fish

Love you platinum angel! His legacy will live on thru his offpring.

Rocksor
09-16-2016, 05:02 PM
Yeah, open his mouth and look down his throat with a flash light. If you can't see anything there, you will more likely have to go through the gill area.

angelcraze2
09-16-2016, 05:05 PM
Ok, better do that before he freezes

angelcraze2
09-16-2016, 05:07 PM
I was thinking I'd have to disect him. I just stopped crying though, I'm a big baby and LOVE my fish

Silbar
09-16-2016, 05:09 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that he did not survive. Lovely pics/memorial and a wonderful tribute to him. RIP little Angel:innocent:

angelcraze2
09-16-2016, 05:12 PM
Yeah, open his mouth and look down his throat with a flash light. If you can't see anything there, you will more likely have to go through the gill area.

Too late. His mouth is froze or rigimortoused shut. I don't want to destroy tissue yet. I'll disect him when I feel I can. Right now, I'll let him stay peaceful and oin tact. Thanks for your thoughts. I wish I did more last night. I just thought he'd pull thru.

angelcraze2
09-16-2016, 05:17 PM
Thanks Sil, that's sweet. You are so caring! I love this community who understand what is like to loose a pet like a fish. No one else would ever understand that. I'm not even telling my husband because his reaction will probably make me more upset, "it's just a fish".......but so not.

Thanks for letting me vent here :)

Slaphppy7
09-16-2016, 05:47 PM
I wish I did more last night. I just thought he'd pull thru.

You had no idea what the problem was, you did the best you could, don't beat yourself up over this.
It happens to all of us, and many times we don't know why.

He had a great life with you.

PaulPerger
09-16-2016, 05:55 PM
Too late. His mouth is froze or rigimortoused shut. I don't want to destroy tissue yet. I'll disect him when I feel I can. Right now, I'll let him stay peaceful and oin tact. Thanks for your thoughts. I wish I did more last night. I just thought he'd pull thru.

You had no idea what the problem was, you did the best you could, don't beat yourself up over this.
It happens to all of us, and many times we don't know why.

Slap's right. You can't blame yourself. You have some beautiful photos of him. Remember him for the smiles he brought you.

SueD
09-16-2016, 07:38 PM
Thanks Sil, that's sweet. You are so caring! I love this community who understand what is like to loose a pet like a fish. No one else would ever understand that. I'm not even telling my husband because his reaction will probably make me more upset, "it's just a fish".......but so not.

Thanks for letting me vent here :)

Some fish are harder to lose than others. If I lost one fish in a school of tetras, not good but not so bad, either. But my angel recognizes me, swims to the front when he sees me, acts a little bit like a puppy. Will be harder to lose him.

angelcraze2
09-17-2016, 01:16 AM
Yes, they (cichlids) have personality. I really do get too attached to breed them even.

Ok guys/gals, it's not my fault, just wish I could have helped him. He had a 33g heavily planted tank most of his life to share with his lady he chose. Life was good ;)

DebinWhitmore
09-17-2016, 01:48 AM
Your sad story was heartbreaking, I'm so sorry you lost him. He was a beautiful fish and those were fabulous photos of him and those with his mate. I once kept angels and I know how friendly and personable they can be, they truly do befriend their owners. You can console yourself by knowing that he had a good life with you.

Boundava
09-17-2016, 03:41 AM
I am so sorry you lost your handsome male. Beautiful picture of him and his partner, RIP little guy. I know how attached we can get to our fish, so very sorry for your loss.

angelcraze2
09-17-2016, 06:22 PM
Seems like a lot of losses lately, but I guess I own a lot of fish! Freak accident. I'm not letting this discourage me, just another learning experience.

I didn't mean for it to be heart-breaking, just a little memorial for my boy. I take many pics of my fish. I am proud of them.

angelcraze2
09-17-2016, 06:25 PM
Pictures with my samsung s4. Nothing special, but the fish are!

RiversGirl
09-18-2016, 01:59 AM
I am so sorry you lost your male Angel.

Lovely pics/memorial and a wonderful tribute to him. RIP little Angel:innocent:

Remember him for the smiles he brought you.

These folks have already said it -- I so agree.

He had a 33g heavily planted tank most of his life to share with his lady he chose. Life was good ;)

You created a lovely home for him, gave him that good life.