PDA

View Full Version : Community Angel Fish questions

bojanbajicic727
09-01-2016, 05:14 PM
Quick rundown. I have a 55 gallon standard aquarium (pics coming later today after work). Right now it is empty and I will be using filter media from another tank to cycle it. I want to do an angel fish community tank. By that i mean a couple angel fish, 10 tetras of my choice, not sure yet suggestions would be great, and 8 cories. If anyone has advice or stocking suggestions that would be awesome. Thank You.

SueD
09-01-2016, 05:24 PM
I have a single angel with rummy nose tetras and sterbai cories. Many cories like things a little cooler than the angelfish does, but sterbai can take the heat.

bojanbajicic727
09-01-2016, 05:58 PM
How high is your temp. I figure ill keep mine around 78-80

SueD
09-01-2016, 05:59 PM
I keep mine at 80F

bojanbajicic727
09-01-2016, 06:18 PM
Alright, so in your opinion how does, 2 angels, 10 tetras, 8 cories and a ram cichlid probably bolivian, sound?

Rocksor
09-01-2016, 06:44 PM
If the angels don't pair up, the ram might be fine. All 3 are cichlids, and you never know when you get a really territorial one.

Corydoras aenus (bronze and albino version) can thrive in temperatures at 83F for a few months.

angelcraze2
09-01-2016, 07:27 PM
I have a 120g South American community tank with angelfish, rams and tetras. I have yet to add cories, so I like your stocking ideas personally. On the topic of breeding angelfish, in a 55g, you may be able to keep a pair with a ram and a school of tetras, it really depends on how aggressive the angelfish get. In a tank with lots of hiding spots and territory divisions, I feel it could be done. My rams like to swim amongst the mid-sized tetras. I never see any negative interaction between the angelfish and rams at all. But cichlids have a lot of personality, and you never know if you're getting a 'nasty' one. Angelfish and rams are the more docile cichlids types although.

I keep my temp at 78°f in the winter and 80°f in the summer months. Angelfish can be kept in temperatures as low as 75°f, it will increase their longevity, but lessen their immune system.

bojanbajicic727
09-01-2016, 07:46 PM
I have a 120g South American community tank with angelfish, rams and tetras. I have yet to add cories, so I like your stocking ideas personally. On the topic of breeding angelfish, in a 55g, you may be able to keep a pair with a ram and a school of tetras, it really depends on how aggressive the angelfish get. In a tank with lots of hiding spots and territory divisions, I feel it could be done. My rams like to swim amongst the mid-sized tetras. I never see any negative interaction between the angelfish and rams at all. But cichlids have a lot of personality, and you never know if you're getting a 'nasty' one. Angelfish and rams are the more docile cichlids types although.

I keep my temp at 78°f in the winter and 80°f in the summer months. Angelfish can be kept in temperatures as low as 75°f, it will increase their longevity, but lessen their immune system.

Sounds good to me! What kind of tetras would you personally recommend.

bojanbajicic727
09-02-2016, 03:45 PM
Went out and got 6 red eye tetras. I will be getting a few more soon.

angelcraze2
09-02-2016, 06:29 PM
Hey, sorry I missed your question. Congrats on the new fish. I have no experience with red-eye tetas, but I love all tetras. Good luck with them! Your tank is cycled already?

angelcraze2
09-02-2016, 06:32 PM
Oh and I would add the angelfish last. Get young specimens and let them grow up with full grown tetras. It's not a necessity, but may help with the disposition of your angels.

angelcraze2
09-02-2016, 07:37 PM
Actually, I kept a pair of rams with a pair of angelfish for about 6 months in a 46g heavily planted bowfront, there were zero problems. The two types of cichlids kept to themselves, the angelfish took the higher strata, the rams stayed lower. Their swimming style complimented eachother nicely.

bojanbajicic727
09-06-2016, 12:51 PM
Hey, sorry I missed your question. Congrats on the new fish. I have no experience with red-eye tetas, but I love all tetras. Good luck with them! Your tank is cycled already?

I had some beneficial bacteria available from another tank that has been healthy and set up for months.

bojanbajicic727
09-06-2016, 12:52 PM
Quick Update for everyone that is following.
Fish total is 6 red eye tetras, and 6 peppered cory cats
If the tank continues to be stable I will be adding 4 more of each fish.

bojanbajicic727
09-07-2016, 01:25 PM

Here is a full tank shot, and a close up of the red eye tetras. They have colored up nicely.
Everything seems to be going well so far, everyone is eating nicely. Couldn't really get a good shot of the corys because they are all over the place.

mommy1
09-07-2016, 01:36 PM
Nice looking tank and fish!

bojanbajicic727
09-07-2016, 02:06 PM
Nice looking tank and fish!

Thank you!
Hopefully the tank continues to thrive.
I will be adding a couple snails soon. I like the idea of a mini eco system with different animals playing different roles.
The tank is very lively also.

Slaphppy7
09-07-2016, 02:08 PM
Tank looks great, love the RE tetras

bojanbajicic727
09-07-2016, 02:12 PM
Tank looks great, love the RE tetras

Thanks Slap!

bojanbajicic727
09-07-2016, 02:13 PM
This morning the water felt a bit warm.
Will be heading to the LFS after work to get a thermometer to make sure everything is alright.

Slaphppy7
09-07-2016, 02:46 PM
Yeah, you need to know the temp at all times...go for a digital one, the glass ones can vary greatly in accuracy

bojanbajicic727
09-07-2016, 02:53 PM
Yeah, you need to know the temp at all times...go for a digital one, the glass ones can vary greatly in accuracy

Thanks for the advice, how is 78F for a temperature? I figure from research that is the number I should shoot for

RiversGirl
09-07-2016, 03:50 PM
You've set up a nice looking tank!
* subscribed *

Slaphppy7
09-07-2016, 03:52 PM
Thanks for the advice, how is 78F for a temperature? I figure from research that is the number I should shoot for

78F is good for the fish you have, yes...upper end of the range recommended for the corys, but should be just fine

bojanbajicic727
09-07-2016, 04:21 PM
Great. All in all I will be stocking 10 peppered corys, 12 red eye tetras, 2 angelfish, and a german blue ram or bolivian ram.
I will also be making a trip up to one of my favorite fish stores, that is where I got that piece of drift wood from. They have a huge selection of fish, but I'm mainly going for more decorations. I like how the tank looks but I think another piece of wood or some rocks would only add to the look.

bojanbajicic727
09-07-2016, 04:27 PM
You've set up a nice looking tank!
* subscribed *

Thank You!

PaulPerger
09-07-2016, 05:31 PM
Good Looking Tank!! Looking forward to following along!

bojanbajicic727
09-07-2016, 08:35 PM
Good Looking Tank!! Looking forward to following along!

Thanks Paul. Stay tuned much more coming..!

bojanbajicic727
09-16-2016, 05:09 PM
Quick update everything going well, I'll give it a couple more weeks of stability until I purchase an angelfish.
Quick question also, some remedies for the brown algae grown on the fake plants. How do I get rid of these diatoms? Less lighting, less feeding? I will be putting a timer on the tank how long should the lights be on?

Slaphppy7
09-16-2016, 05:43 PM
If it's diatoms, they'll eventually go away on their own...may take some time

Rocksor
09-16-2016, 05:56 PM
Great. All in all I will be stocking 10 peppered corys, 12 red eye tetras, 2 angelfish, and a german blue ram or bolivian ram.
I will also be making a trip up to one of my favorite fish stores, that is where I got that piece of drift wood from. They have a huge selection of fish, but I'm mainly going for more decorations. I like how the tank looks but I think another piece of wood or some rocks would only add to the look.

Sterbai cories are better for the higher temperature than the pepper cories.

bojanbajicic727
09-16-2016, 06:13 PM
Sterbai cories are better for the higher temperature than the pepper cories.

True. Oh well, ill keep the tank at a steady 78 and no higher than 80 to accommodate all of the live stock. So far the cories seem to be doing great and eating and rummaging the sand bed.

DebinWhitmore
09-17-2016, 02:04 AM
You may have room for a small school of otos, like 5-6. They stay very small and love diatoms. I battled diatoms for quite some time and found the best bet was to take the décor out and wash it. If you have a young cycle, you might want to wait a bit before you do that.

bojanbajicic727
09-19-2016, 12:14 PM
You may have room for a small school of otos, like 5-6. They stay very small and love diatoms. I battled diatoms for quite some time and found the best bet was to take the décor out and wash it. If you have a young cycle, you might want to wait a bit before you do that.

Hmm, that is a consideration. Would they be alright with the cories in there?

SueD
09-19-2016, 12:21 PM
Otos and cories are fine together. Actually, Otos are fine with most community fish.

bojanbajicic727
09-19-2016, 01:27 PM
Ill have to check them out.

bojanbajicic727
09-19-2016, 02:10 PM
Another quick update. Routine water changes have been keeping everything in check. The fish are all colored up and happy. The algae receded as I have been keeping the lights off longer. I am feeding the fish once a day. On water change day I give them a treat of frozen brine shrimp. I am thinking of doing larger water changes around 20%. The sun sun 302 filter that is on the tank has slowed down dramatically. I will be cleaning out the filter and taking out the sponge in it that is probably clogging the flow. I will be getting an aqua clear 50 so I have two filters.
After the aqua clear is on the tank for a couple weeks hopefully everything is going right enough to add my first angelfish.

SueD
09-19-2016, 03:04 PM
Better to do 50% water changes.

bojanbajicic727
09-19-2016, 05:17 PM
Really?
I have never done such large water changes. That would be a huge pain to do.

Rocksor
09-19-2016, 05:39 PM
Really?
I have never done such large water changes. That would be a huge pain to do.

Water changes are a snap with the Python No Spill
https://www.amazon.com/25-Foot-Python-Aquarium-Maintenance/dp/B000255NXC/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1474306700&sr=1-1&keywords=python+no+spill

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71dxfJS0aFL._SL1500_.jpg

Slaphppy7
09-19-2016, 05:43 PM
+1 to the above, I wouldn't do a WC without one

bojanbajicic727
09-19-2016, 05:46 PM
Water changes are a snap with the Python No Spill
https://www.amazon.com/25-Foot-Python-Aquarium-Maintenance/dp/B000255NXC/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1474306700&sr=1-1&keywords=python+no+spill

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71dxfJS0aFL._SL1500_.jpg

Yeah taking water out is not the problem. It is filling 5 gallon buckets and conditioning and adding the water back is the issue.

Rocksor
09-19-2016, 05:51 PM
Yeah taking water out is not the problem. It is filling 5 gallon buckets and conditioning and adding the water back is the issue.

The python solves that issue. Add enough water conditioner for the total water volume, dose in the area of the refill, and turn the water on. That simple, no buckets required.

bojanbajicic727
09-19-2016, 06:02 PM
How would I go about matching the temperature?

Rocksor
09-19-2016, 06:09 PM
Use a digital thermometer at the output of the python, and mix the hot and cold water is what most people do.

Slaphppy7
09-19-2016, 06:12 PM
Get a digital thermometer, hold it in the stream from the Python over the sink until the temp is correct, shut the valve, carry to the tank, open the valve, and fill the tank.

Here's the one I use: https://www.amazon.com/Taylor-Precision-Products-Commercial-Thermometer/dp/B00009WE45/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1474308723&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=disital+pocket+thermometer

EDIT...Rock beat me to it

Boundava
09-19-2016, 06:15 PM
Matt, unfortunately the Python's valve is for the removal of water. It isn't made to withstand the pressure of the faucet when putting water back into the tank, unless it is seconds away. Sis just busted the valve doing that with the upstairs tanks and the 25 foot python. Guess who had to buy a new one...hint it wasn't her. :doh:

My python for the 75 is so long that I siphon all of the water out of it after emptying the tank 80%, then I fix the temperature while it is on the out setting. Once I have it right I turn it to fill and run like mad to beat the siphon and make sure its not going to fall out the tank cause the cat is jumping for it. Mostly the cat is running with me and trying to trip me in her excitement over the shared "game".

Rocksor
09-19-2016, 06:32 PM
Get a digital thermometer, hold it in the stream from the Python over the sink until the temp is correct, shut the valve, carry to the tank, open the valve, and fill the tank.

Here's the one I use: https://www.amazon.com/Taylor-Precision-Products-Commercial-Thermometer/dp/B00009WE45/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1474308723&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=disital+pocket+thermometer

EDIT...Rock beat me to it

http://cdn-blog-assets.bigfishsites.com/NinjaFelix.jpg

Rocksor
09-19-2016, 06:34 PM
Matt, unfortunately the Python's valve is for the removal of water. It isn't made to withstand the pressure of the faucet when putting water back into the tank, unless it is seconds away. Sis just busted the valve doing that with the upstairs tanks and the 25 foot python. Guess who had to buy a new one...hint it wasn't her. :doh:

My python for the 75 is so long that I siphon all of the water out of it after emptying the tank 80%, then I fix the temperature while it is on the out setting. Once I have it right I turn it to fill and run like mad to beat the siphon and make sure its not going to fall out the tank cause the cat is jumping for it. Mostly the cat is running with me and trying to trip me in her excitement over the shared "game".

have you tried clamping the hose to the tank?

http://www.toolstop.co.uk/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/e640919a2497fe1c530cdf0341f677d9.jpg

Slaphppy7
09-19-2016, 06:35 PM

I've never had an issue, I do it that way every time, for every tank, dozens and dozens of WC's.

My Python hose is only 25' long as well, and I can get to my tanks from the sink within a few seconds.

Why even have a valve to empty a tank?...turn the suction on, walk to the tank, empty, allow the hose to empty from the suction as you go back to the sink.

Boundava
09-19-2016, 06:53 PM
I dunno but when I have done that on the 75-the pressure would be so great that I would have it leaking at the faucet end, so I stopped. Matter of fact the plastic at the faucet end split about 2 years ago after 8+ years of use like that since I moved into this house-so I stopped and do it the other way. Its more fun for the cat :doh:

Oh and here is DFS guide on it; apparently it is so you can more effectively clean the gravel without taking lots of water out. It is also helpful when you have shrimp and tiny fish that think its fun to give you a mini-heart attack by swimming into the nozzle :cussing:.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?aid=848

Slaphppy7
09-19-2016, 07:10 PM
Mine leaks at the faucet too, it is designed that way...it is a type of venturi to relieve pressure, or the hose or fittings could fail...no big whoop, it just barely leaks while I'm walking to the tank, stops when I relieve the pressure and begin to fill

Now, I have zero experience with a 75 footer, just the 25.

I really don't understand how you can accurately match the temp doing it any other way...of course, it's a moot subject in the summertime here, because the "cold" tap temp is nowhere cool enough for the tanks

bojanbajicic727
09-19-2016, 07:22 PM
Thank You everyone for the thoughts and considerations. I will continue with weekly 10-20% water changes as I have been. My other tank is a 55 that houses a handsome red devil cichlid and I have pristine water and never had any problems. 1 5 gallon bucket for old tank water and a new one primed and conditioned for new water.

angelcraze2
09-19-2016, 07:33 PM
I dunno but when I have done that on the 75-the pressure would be so great that I would have it leaking at the faucet end, so I stopped. Matter of fact the plastic at the faucet end split about 2 years ago after 8+ years of use like that since I moved into this house-so I stopped and do it the other way. Its more fun for the cat :doh:

Oh and here is DFS guide on it; apparently it is so you can more effectively clean the gravel without taking lots of water out. It is also helpful when you have shrimp and tiny fish that think its fun to give you a mini-heart attack by swimming into the nozzle :cussing:.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?aid=848

I create a drip loop on the sink in case water leaks from the faucet with the pressure. Also, if you wrap a dish cloth Aarons the faucet where the python fits together, the water will just drop back into the sink. Unless I'll way off base!

On the subject of adding new water directly to the tank from the tap, I don't trust it myself and have a stock tank to age my water. But I've been doing it like this for years and with all my tanks, a 100g aging water tank does just fine. But mine's ticked away in the basement, and I realize not everyone can do that for room. What about a Rubbermaid container? I cut the top as a flap just for stability with all the water weight to make sure the bin doesn't bow out and collapse. It's been working for years for my tanks on the main level. I'm always aging water it seems though with 11 tanks.

Rocksor
09-19-2016, 07:33 PM
Thank You everyone for the thoughts and considerations. I will continue with weekly 10-20% water changes as I have been. My other tank is a 55 that houses a handsome red devil cichlid and I have pristine water and never had any problems. 1 5 gallon bucket for old tank water and a new one primed and conditioned for new water.

Why are you using old water? There is nothing beneficial in old water.

If your nitrates are not below 20ppm, then you have problems with the water. Nitrates are like second hand smoke to fish. For the longevity of the red devil, you should get used to doing large water changes. They can live over 10 years easily with the right care.

Slaphppy7
09-19-2016, 07:36 PM
Mine doesn't leak from pressure relief at the connection to the faucet, it leaks from the bottom of the green pump.

bojanbajicic727
09-19-2016, 07:49 PM

If your nitrates are not below 20ppm, then you have problems with the water. Nitrates are like second hand smoke to fish. For the longevity of the red devil, you should get used to doing large water changes. They can live over 10 years easily with the right care.

The old water gets dumped. I was just saying that I take out a 5 gallon bucket of water and add a new one of clean fresh and conditioned water.

angelcraze2
09-19-2016, 07:55 PM

Well, I missed this, but I agr my water 24 hours to off gas and have the parameters closer to the tank's. Is that purposeless? If I don't have time to just let water sit for 24hrs, I add an airstone for at least 5 hrs so I don't get those bubbles on the glass. Is this detrimental? I don't like to keep water in non-food grade Rubbermaid bins for long, but does it cause problems? Isn't off-gassing a good idea, especially when dealing with BBA and fish that like constant pH?

angelcraze2
09-19-2016, 07:58 PM
Mine doesn't leak from pressure relief at the connection to the faucet, it leaks from the bottom of the green pump.

If you are addressing me, is there any way to tie a towel all around it so that the water drops into the sink? Leave the ends pointing down

Lol, maybe I don't have a green pump

SueD
09-19-2016, 08:02 PM
I've only used the python shut off valve once - never again. The pressure was so great, my water backed up under the sink and caused a mini flood in my kitchen. Usually I have drained enough water so that I can position the python in the tank above the water. I have the single lever faucet and I adjust the temp at the sink with the python faucet valve open without draining more water. Then I close the valve and water starts flowing to the tank. I add Prime sometimes before I start filling and sometimes as the tank fills. I can see my tanks from the kitchen so I can stop the flow at the faucet without overflowing the tank.

angelcraze2
09-19-2016, 08:13 PM
Guess I don't use my second-hand python the way is intended. And I'm sure I'm missing parts!

Slaphppy7
09-19-2016, 08:27 PM
If you are addressing me, is there any way to tie a towel all around it so that the water drops into the sink? Leave the ends pointing down

Lol, maybe I don't have a green pump

You can just lay the towel over the entire pump, the towel will "wick" the water downward

angelcraze2
09-20-2016, 04:47 AM
Ok, then I had the right idea lol

bojanbajicic727
09-20-2016, 12:50 PM
Thank You everyone for the replies!
Another quick update looks like I found a couple small white snails, They are really tiny, I will try and snap a pic later on today if I can.
Should I be worried or no?

Slaphppy7
09-20-2016, 01:43 PM
If they are some type of pest snail, they can reproduce very quickly.

bojanbajicic727
09-20-2016, 03:55 PM
If they are some type of pest snail, they can reproduce very quickly.

What is the worry with pest snails, bioload? I have had similar looking snails that came with live plants before. They cleaned the algae in the tank and never bothered anything. Occasionally I would siphon some of them and the eggs during water changes.

Rocksor
09-20-2016, 03:59 PM
An increase in nitrate production, which means more water changes should be done; and snails are carriers for a nasty parasite called camallanus worms.

Slaphppy7
09-20-2016, 04:00 PM
Also, hundreds of them in a tank can be unsightly.

bojanbajicic727
09-20-2016, 04:09 PM
alright then, I will keep an eye on the foreign intruders. If the population does rise, what has been the best method of removal? Adding assassin snails? loaches? I definitely want to go a natural method though.

Slaphppy7
09-20-2016, 04:21 PM
Assassin snails will do the trick.

For now, remove and dispose of any you see, but they've probably already laid eggs.

angelcraze2
09-20-2016, 11:28 PM
The only snail I consider a pest snail is the pond snail. That's me though. Malaysian trumpet snails aerate the substrate and stay mostly under it unless you have a ridiculous overfeeding problem. Baby MTS ride the surface of the water on occasion. Ramshorn snails eat algae and fungus (clean up fungused fish eggs). I remove pond snails (I have them in one tank) nightly and toss them into my 90g with a million assassin snails. The pond snails seem to hang along the rim of my aquarium, in the evening anyway, and are easy to remove.

Another natural method is to create a snail trap. Or add lettuce at night and pull it out with all the pest hitch-hikers and do what you want with them.

angelcraze2
09-21-2016, 04:10 AM
But maybe in a newly establishing tank, snails SHOULD be dealt with. :14: :14:

:cussingargument:
:axechase:

I just don't want you to be completely deterred from snails and inverts.

bojanbajicic727
09-22-2016, 02:41 PM
But maybe in a newly establishing tank, snails SHOULD be dealt with. :14: :14:

:cussingargument:
:axechase:

I just don't want you to be completely deterred from snails and inverts.

Not at all. I probably won't be doing anything unless problems arise. They have been keeping the glass clean for me so far.

bojanbajicic727
09-22-2016, 02:42 PM
I wonder where they came from though. Just out of curiosity. I don't have live plants and the driftwood that is in there was dried out for a while.

Rocksor
09-22-2016, 04:06 PM
where did you get the media to start the cycle from?

bojanbajicic727
09-22-2016, 04:43 PM
where did you get the media to start the cycle from?

another 55 I have had setup. But same with that tank no live plants or anything like that.

bojanbajicic727
09-29-2016, 05:59 PM
Update.
I should be ready to add the angels! or angel. Haven't decided yet. Could I add one or two angels?

angelcraze2
09-29-2016, 10:05 PM
So remind me, you have full grown red eye tetras? How many? And it's a 55g? 4ft long? How high/deep is the tank?

bojanbajicic727
09-30-2016, 12:11 PM
So remind me, you have full grown red eye tetras? How many? And it's a 55g? 4ft long? How high/deep is the tank?

6 Red eye tetras. 55g 4ft long tank. 12" deep 21" high.

angelcraze2
09-30-2016, 07:45 PM
If you want a pair of angelfish, I suggest buying 4 smallish specimens, and rehome the other two once you get a pair. Small angelfish don't require the 10 gallons per fish. Just when you notice aggression, you will probably already have an idea of which angelfish are pairing off and rehoming the other two would be best at that point. Otherwise, there's not enough room in a 55g for 4 sub-adults. Does that make sense for a plan?

bojanbajicic727
09-30-2016, 07:55 PM
If you want a pair of angelfish, I suggest buying 4 smallish specimens, and rehome the other two once you get a pair. Small angelfish don't require the 10 gallons per fish. Just when you notice aggression, you will probably already have an idea of which angelfish are pairing off and rehoming the other two would be best at that point. Otherwise, there's not enough room in a 55g for 4 sub-adults. Does that make sense for a plan?

So I should either go for one angel or a mated pair?

angelcraze2
09-30-2016, 08:03 PM
A mated pair will be slightly aggressive at breeding time, angelfish ARE cichlids. But I would add a pair without worrying about too much aggression, if it were me. Tetras are smart enough to stay away from eggs and protective parents.

Keeping one angel would solve any aggression issue. I personally feel they are ok on their own, they seem to connect/bond with the owner more I find, my gold pearlscale angelfish is on her own completely right now, and she is doing fine.

I just find watching the angelfish parent so facinating, but that's me. They seem to pair up very easily.

bojanbajicic727
10-03-2016, 01:29 PM
Well everyone say hello to Jeffery. I got him Saturday night and didn't want to name him or post him up until he was showing good health.

bojanbajicic727
10-03-2016, 01:35 PM
There was another one same size as him. The tank at the LFS he was in was in bad condition. That is probably also why his top fin looks like that. I fed him with some garlic guard vitamin enriched food. I'm pulling for the little guy. He has shown some awesome color so far. I am wondering if I should go back and get the other little guy.

Boundava
10-03-2016, 02:03 PM
Very cute little guy, congrats on the new fish and way to go getting him out of a bad condition thumbs2:

bojanbajicic727
10-03-2016, 03:41 PM
Very cute little guy, congrats on the new fish and way to go getting him out of a bad condition thumbs2:

Thank you! He has a lot of personality. He follows the tretras around and shoots up to the top of the tank as soon as I put my fingers there because he thinks it feeding time. Even in the dirty tank he was in he was responsive and came up to the glass to greet me.

mommy1
10-03-2016, 04:16 PM
Nice little angel. Angelfish have always been one of my favorite fish, good luck with him.

bojanbajicic727
10-04-2016, 01:39 PM
Quick Update. The top part of the angelfishes fin is starting to grow back slowly. He is an eating machine also. I am so happy. Do angelfish grow pretty rapidly ?

mommy1
10-04-2016, 02:28 PM
They grow fast with clean water and quality food.

bojanbajicic727
10-04-2016, 02:41 PM
Check and Check. Awesome. I can't wait for him to put on some size. So chances are, depending on how the weather is (I live in Florida there is a hurricane coming) I will be getting a small German Blue Ram. Hopefully compatibility is not an issue?

Slaphppy7
10-04-2016, 02:55 PM
You never know when mixing cichlids, sometimes it works, sometimes not

bojanbajicic727
10-04-2016, 03:07 PM
You never know when mixing cichlids, sometimes it works, sometimes not

Fair enough. If they are small enough to start and the tank is large enough I should be ok? Worst comes to worst ill have to move them.

Slaphppy7
10-04-2016, 03:15 PM
Have a plan in place to move one or the other if it doesn't work out.

They could be fine at first while small, but later as they grow there could be problems.

mommy1
10-04-2016, 03:50 PM
Fair enough. If they are small enough to start and the tank is large enough I should be ok? Worst comes to worst ill have to move them.Usually. Most aggression comes from territorial disputes or spawning. Usually given enough room rams and angels do quite well with each other.

bojanbajicic727
10-04-2016, 04:38 PM
Alright I'm sold. I will be getting my ram in the following weeks. Suggestions on Bolivian Ram or German Blue? The German is obviously the more colorful which would be awesome. I have however read that they are delicate fish.

bojanbajicic727
10-19-2016, 05:28 PM
49379 49380

I got a Bolivian Ram!
He has been showing nice color. The angelfish and the ram have also been getting along well.
Overall the tank is still going strong.

Boundava
10-19-2016, 05:34 PM
Glad to hear, so who is Jeffery's friend; did you name your ram yet?

bojanbajicic727
10-20-2016, 12:27 PM
Glad to hear, so who is Jeffery's friend; did you name your ram yet?

Have not decided on a name yet. I will try to get some better pictures of him, His colors are really stunning.

bojanbajicic727
11-17-2016, 03:23 PM
Quick Update, Everything is doing great. Angelfish is growing super fast. The stock currently is 12 red eye tetras, 4 peppered corys, unfortunately a couple corys died (I suspect malnutrition because of how aggressive the red eyes are at feeding time.) 1 bolivian ram, 1 german blue ram, and the Angel of course.

Slaphppy7
11-17-2016, 03:54 PM
Try flakes for the tetras, sinking foods for the corys

bojanbajicic727
11-17-2016, 04:58 PM
Try flakes for the tetras, sinking foods for the corys

I do that. I have got almost all the fish eating out of my fingers now. I make sure that everyone gets their fill.

angelcraze2
11-17-2016, 06:10 PM
Oh great! Nice angelfish! Congrats! He/she looks like a gold marble. And congrats on the bolivian ram! I'm glad they are getting along.

bojanbajicic727
11-17-2016, 06:38 PM
Oh great! Nice angelfish! Congrats! He/she looks like a gold marble. And congrats on the bolivian ram! I'm glad they are getting along.

Thank you thank you. Yes I need to take an updated picture. His fin is getting better every day.

angelcraze2
11-17-2016, 07:56 PM
I missed all your earlier posts, and I noticed the squared off dorsal fin on the angel right away. I've been keeping and unintentionally breeding angelfish for like a decade, and I was going to say it will probably grow back into a point.

Some breeders actually snip the dorsal fin if for some reason it grows in crooked or irregular. This could be caused in a cramped grow out tank, or if they were the victim of an aggressive siblings' wrath. If the deformity is not genetic, then the fins usually grow back in no time, nice and straight.

fishlove
01-30-2017, 05:09 PM

This is so true! Ha ha ha....my last WC I had it in fill position, closed the valve and proceeded to walk to the tank to fill. Unfortunately, I didn't make it out of the bathroom in time before the connection broke and water went everywhere!! My Python is 50'

And as you said, I do the same from now on. Although, I leave it in drain position until I get the tube back in the tank, then run back to turn it to "fill" and run back to check it....all the while my cat is running with me trying to trip me (same as yours). Too funny!

But as Slap mentioned, I would not do a WC without one ;)

Boundava
01-30-2017, 05:36 PM
Yeah those darn kitties think we're playing...until they get water all over themselves. Bad :2cat: