PDA

View Full Version : Pleco in Pond

Shelant
08-18-2016, 12:00 AM
I have a 10 inch common Pleco that I need to rehome. I have an offer from someone to take him and put him in their pond. Are they safe in ponds? I really wanted someone with a 75 - 100 gallon tank to take him. He was 1 - 2 inches when I got him and want to be very careful who gets him. He's a pet to me. He's in a 30 gallon tank but I'm not physically able to take care of a larger tank but hate to part with him. Just wondering if he would be happy and safe in a pond.

madagascariensis
08-18-2016, 01:13 AM
The pond needs to be fish safe in general (made with fish friendly substances, filtration system, etc). Plecos are also tropical fish, so the pond temperature must never be below 18 degrees Celsius/65 degrees fahrenheit at its coldest.

Boundava
08-18-2016, 12:04 PM
BTW a common pleco can get up to two feet so a 75-100 gallon would still be too small IMO.

FYI manatees are 8-13 feet. Those are some big common plecos!

Shelant
08-18-2016, 01:53 PM
Thanks for your response.....not sure how fish safe this pond is

Shelant
08-18-2016, 01:59 PM
Yes, I know they can get much bigger and need to do something with him. Thanks for those pictures, they are scary tho. Will keep trying to find the right person to take him. Thanks for the responses..........

Boundava
08-18-2016, 02:03 PM
Yeah I think this is one fish that should be banned from local fish stores-especialy the chain stores where employees have no idea the potential (throw away) monsters they are selling. Its like going in for a compact car and then suddenly realizing you bought a tank. Good luck to you in finding him a home, much better than releasing him into the wild like so many do with theirs once they realize what they have isn't going to stop growing.

WhistlingBadger
08-22-2016, 09:06 PM
Shelant, I'd say it mostly depends on where you live. If you have cold winters, probably not. If it stays fairly warm, it might be OK. Common plecos are very tough fish. My biggest concern would be ensuring that it can't escape into the local waterways.

Would it be inappropriate to mention that from what I've read, they're also very good eating? :hmm3grin2orange:

Rocksor
08-22-2016, 09:58 PM
Shelant, I'd say it mostly depends on where you live. If you have cold winters, probably not. If it stays fairly warm, it might be OK. Common plecos are very tough fish. My biggest concern would be ensuring that it can't escape into the local waterways.

Would it be inappropriate to mention that from what I've read, they're also very good eating? :hmm3grin2orange:

What do you mean by cold winter? Where I live a cold winter to the locals is anytime it gets below 58F

Slaphppy7
08-22-2016, 10:24 PM

i hear they taste like Prime.

What do you mean by cold winter? Where I live a cold winter to the locals is anytime it gets below 58F

Just reading "58F" makes me want to have a light jacket handy....

AmazonJoe
08-22-2016, 11:15 PM
We have plecos in almost every waterway down here in Florida. It sometimes drops during the winter to 30-40degrees but not for very long so the water doesn't drop past 60ish probably. Common plecos are pretty hardy adaptable fish just as it doesn't stay to cold for to long its still a tropical fish.

AmazonJoe
08-22-2016, 11:18 PM
Thanks for your response.....not sure how fish safe this pond is

Are there any other fish in the pond? Does it have vegetation and is the water stagnant?

WhistlingBadger
08-23-2016, 12:44 AM
I'd say it's cold if the water freezes over...though a pleco would get pretty uncomfortable well before that point, I suspect. I don't know for sure, never having asked one.