PDA

View Full Version : pruning hornwort......???

squirt_12
11-27-2007, 03:44 AM
how do i prune my hornwort???

do i just cut it where ever i want????

the reason i am asking is becasue when i went to my LFS the other day i bought some and it is to tall for my 10g so i didn't know if it should be bent at the top or not???? suggestions???

thanks.

richberstler
11-27-2007, 03:46 AM
From what I understand it's a "weed" so I'm treating it as such. Clipping whever I need to. I think as long as you leave at least 6 inches it will survive.

squirt_12
11-27-2007, 03:47 AM
From what I understand it's a "weed" so I'm treating it as such. Clipping whever I need to. I think as long as you leave at least 6 inches it will survive.
what do you do with the clippings???

richberstler
11-27-2007, 04:08 AM
I'm a beginner as you know, but I plan to float clippings in the light to make more plant. I just wouldn't cut them too short either way if you want to do so. From what I see 6 and 6 or close will stay alive. If you see my spreadsheet it's assumed clippings will become more plants. Which is why I've read they are considered "weeds". And another reason why they are considered as "easy" plants.

I love it cuz my Red Cherry Shrimp are always running around in the small bunch I currently have. I'm already nicknaming it my poor mans Cabomba.

squirt_12
11-27-2007, 04:09 AM
ok....thanks....i think that i might just chop the ones off that are at the top of the tank. :thumb:

Incredulous_Ed
11-27-2007, 09:52 PM
I would cut in between the nodes somewhere in the middle or near the bottom of the plant. Then, replant the par you just cut off and it will take root and start growing. That way, you will eventually have more hornwort than you know what o do with. Don't cut near the top of the plant, because when it grows back it will look weird.

squirt_12
11-28-2007, 02:06 AM
ok....sounds good....thanks Ed!!!!!:19:

Algenco
11-28-2007, 02:31 AM
yep, just cut and let them float:1: