PDA

View Full Version : baby oscars and crayfish

kaianuanu
11-27-2007, 02:16 AM
i have 2 baby oscars each only 2 inches in lenth i want to get a blue lobster (crayfish). if i do get one, will it kill my 2 oscars?

i have a 10 gallon tank with a UGF (under-gravel filter) i heard about sponge filters what are they? can someone give me some more info on sponge filters.

don't worry about space i have a 55 gallon tank with a savanna monitor lizard in it. he will be about 3.5 feet in a year.

Drumachine09
11-27-2007, 02:21 AM
I would NOT get a lobster/crayfish of any kind....ever. Thats just my opinion. More trouble than they are worth.

UGFs are obsolete. There are MUCH better forms of filtration now.

cocoa_pleco
11-27-2007, 02:31 AM
the crayfish will get eaten instantly, dont try it.

sponge filters are good for massive biological filtration, but lack mechanical

Drumachine09
11-27-2007, 02:47 AM
the crayfish will get eaten instantly, dont try it.

sponge filters are good for massive biological filtration, but lack mechanical

I don't think the crayfish will be eaten. The oscars are 2 inches. I would be more worried about them being eaten by the crayfish.

cocoa_pleco
11-27-2007, 03:00 AM
small oscars are powerful, im sure the crayfish will get eaten

OscarFan
12-12-2007, 03:20 AM
My money would be on the Cray fish

cgcomeaux
01-03-2008, 06:48 AM
your 2" oscars will be 4" in less than 2months and your crayfish doesn't stand a chance. Don't try it. By the way 55 gallon won't be big enough for 2 oscars for very long at all. I bought 2 oscars about 2.5" long 5 months ago in a 75 gallon tank and now one is 6" and the other is about 4.5" I would say in another 2 months I will need either a bigger tank or another 75 gallon and split them up. If you want your fish to be at there happiest and healthiest get them a 125 gallon at least for both. or minimum of 2 55 gallon tanks.
check out this video for your crayfish question?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1ibjT82CW...elated&search=

TowBoater
01-03-2008, 12:08 PM
Also I would not use that tank for fish if you keep a lizard in it for the reason being that it just isn't safe due to the lizards poop and such and also if you keep a lizard in it, it may be for lizards and such only, not to hold water.

Halelorf
01-03-2008, 05:10 PM
Yes oscars get very big so you will need a much larger tank for them in the near future. As for sponge filters I have them in all of my tanks and love them. They are very cheap, last for a long time, and most can be stacked to increase their efficiency. Here is a link for the type of sponge I use in my tanks.

Sponge Filters! (http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl3684/cp19170/si1379360/cl0/lustarhydrospongefilter5)

These come in many different sizes and only need a air pump to run. Hope that helps you.