PDA

View Full Version : Hi everyone: Quick question in post

lostfate
07-21-2016, 07:19 PM
Hi, Just recently started posting on some aquarium forums as I have been getting more into some of the more advanced setups. Over the last few years I had a couple goldfish in a 30 gallon tank with a common pleco (blame fish shop people for that one) Sadly my last goldfish died the other day murdered by the pleco who over night somehow basically devoured half of my black moors skin, strange since they always left each other alone prior to that. (sadly he did not make it)

Anyway ive decided to move on to a 55 gallon aquarium and have been looking around for some good deals and found one for $100 with stand which is awesome. However I wasn't sure if any of you could tell if this was a glass one or acrylic from the picture.48369

The tank is the posters son which now lives out of state and they arnt sure and its a 2hr drive away otherwise id just go look myself.

I have not decided If I will keep the pleco or give it to a friend but I am going to go with more tropical fish this time around (most likely a few school type fish and 1 or two medium sized ones) and was also wondering if there were recommendations on fish that work well together and have a lower bio load. or atleast a setup that would help with that a lot. With my goldfish I was doing a 50% water change every week and would prefer to cut that in half if possible.

thanks for any help. still lots to read up on =)

William
07-21-2016, 07:21 PM
Allways nice to see a new face. Dont hesitate to contact me or a mod if experince any problems.

Slaphppy7
07-21-2016, 07:40 PM
Welcome to the AC.

ah00471
07-21-2016, 08:20 PM
:welcomewave:

Welcome! We love new tanks! I am not sure about the glass/acrylic question. Hopefully someone will come along who can answer it for you. I am currently working on my 55 gallon. I eventually am going to have three large schools of small tetras. You should look at some YouTube videos of tropical tanks and tetra communities to get some ideas. Always a good place to start! thumbs2:

Fishan
07-21-2016, 08:43 PM
It looks like it's acrylic to me, but that's just a wild guess. For 100 bucks with stand, you can't complain too much. Is the hood included as well? It looks like it's in decent shape. I've always been a fan of gourami. You could put a pair in there along with some kind of smaller schooling fish. I'd worry more about fish you want than the bio load.

I know most people won't agree with me, but a tank of that size if you don't over crowd it doesn't need a WC all the time. I do a change on my 75 about once a year when I re-design the layout and the water stats are fine. Good filtration, not over feeding and not over stocking can do a lot.

Jwfish13
07-21-2016, 08:51 PM
welcome to the AC

gronlaura
07-21-2016, 09:22 PM
48370to the AC!

gronlaura
07-21-2016, 09:25 PM
Post in either the beginner or general aquarium forum for the most replies to your posts. BTW, I do a weekly 80% water change in my 75 gal.

RiversGirl
07-22-2016, 01:02 AM
Welcome to the AC

gadget228
07-22-2016, 09:37 AM
Welcome to the AC... :22:

AmazonJoe
07-22-2016, 12:35 PM
Welcome to the community! :22:

My two cents on the tank is it appears to not have the traditional silicone seal on the edges of a glass aquarium from what I can see on the pictures. I'f you have contact with the seller ask them to take a up close picture of the edge/seal of the tank this will give you/us a better idea.

I do weekly water changes nitrates as they are not an immediate threat to the health of the fish. It is however detrimental to the long term health of the fish and can result in death.

A scheduled WC with a good siphoning of the substrate combined with a monthly filter cleaning is IMO critical to this hobby.

I also would recommend a alternative choice to goldfish since there bioload is so heavy it will limit your overall stocking options. Again just my :twocents:

steeler58
07-22-2016, 12:35 PM
Welcome to the forum ;-)

Boundava
07-22-2016, 01:14 PM
Post in either the beginner or general aquarium forum for the most replies to your posts. BTW, I do a weekly 80% water change in my 75 gal.

Welcome to the community! :22:

My two cents on the tank is it appears to not have the traditional silicone seal on the edges of a glass aquarium from what I can see on the pictures. I'f you have contact with the seller ask them to take a up close picture of the edge/seal of the tank this will give you/us a better idea.

I do weekly water changes nitrates as they are not an immediate threat to the health of the fish. It is however detrimental to the long term health of the fish and can result in death.

A scheduled WC with a good siphoning of the substrate combined with a monthly filter cleaning is IMO critical to this hobby.

I also would recommend a alternative choice to goldfish since there bioload is so heavy it will limit your overall stocking options. Again just my :twocents:

Welcome and I agree with above; and with the comment on the goldfish limiting you (you can have 3-4 fancy goldies in there; i.e fantail, ryukin, moor, celestial, ranchu-not comets or Shubunkin which should be in ponds or very large tanks). I also do at least a 75% water change on all of my tanks. To me the tank looks like glass as Joe said, due to the silicone on the edges.

LlamasReef
07-22-2016, 08:16 PM
welcome to the forum