PDA

View Full Version : Cory Eggs!

PaulPerger
07-06-2016, 11:40 PM
Two nights ago I noticed my Bronze Cory larger an older than her two Albino tank mates had begun to swell on the underside and was much lighter in color. It almost looked like a growth. In fact I intended to come home today and try to get a photo of it so I could ask what it was only when I walked in I found dozens of eggs on the glass and no swelled tummy on by Bronze Cory.

These three Cory share a tank with a Male Betta who pretty much keeps to himself at the top of the tank while they patrol the bottom, so I immediately went to the store and purchased a floating fry container and moved the eggs into the container as I didn't want the Betta to eat them.

I have spent the past hour doing some research. For any of you Cory experts, please confirm or correct what I have learned...

From what I have gathered they if they are viable, they will change in color from white to tan or brown in the next 24-48 hours, and if they remain white or clear, they weren't fertilized, or simply didn't make it.
I read that they should be separated so as not to be eaten and they should have an air stone in the fry box with them to keep water moving around them.
They should hatch in 5-6 days and will feed off their egg yolk sac for 1-2 days after hatching.
After that they should be fed Brine Shrimp, crushed pellets or flakes, black worms or ??? (there were a few others that I am not remembering off the top of my head right now.
I will be out of town this weekend, so all of my fish will be in the dark with no feeding for three days. Obviously this shouldn't be an issue for the eggs, as they aren't eating yet anyway. BUT. Will lack of light be an issue for them? Is light important to the eggs? Should I put the light on a timer?

I will set up a ten gallon tank to rear the fry next week when I return if I get some wrigglers out of the deal...

One last question... Will female Corys lay eggs if there are no males present? I know some fish will and some will not and I couldn't find anything answering that question...

Pictures:

Eggs on the side of the tank...

Sorry for the blur...

THANKS AC!!

Boundava
07-07-2016, 02:37 PM
Yup the eggs will change color if they are viable. The fry will fall out of the slots on that container-you should wrap that with mesh or get a mesh breeder for them.

Any eggs that stay white should be removed as they will encourage fungal growth. Once the eggs hatch the corys will have yolk sac but when that is gone feed them frozen baby brine shrimp, or the Hikarii first bites. Also once they hatch get them in another tank or even a shoe box with a sponge filter and heater and make sure you have some of the tank's substrate on the bottom of their nursery. I read that it help reduce losses and when I put some into my nursery I did stop having losses of fry. I would also add some small plants or floating plants for cover. When I found the eggs on one of my lotus leaves I had over 30 eggs and after the hatching and when they grew up a bit I wound up with 25.

Oh I forgot-when I had my eggs I floated them in the tank in a plastic shoe box with an airstone and did 1/3 WC twice a day. Then when they hatched I moved them out of the tank and put them in a plastic sweater box with the sponge filter and a heater and did WC twice a day at first and then when they got bigger once a day. You take their water out and replace it with water from your tank-not tap water.

Boundava
07-07-2016, 02:54 PM
In tank nursery

https://youtu.be/u2ap1G81dZM

Out of tank nursery

https://youtu.be/UEjaHgIsVEY

Silbar
07-07-2016, 03:01 PM
Congrats and good luck1

PaulPerger
07-07-2016, 03:24 PM
Yup the eggs will change color if they are viable. The fry will fall out of the slots on that container-you should wrap that with mesh or get a mesh breeder for them.

Any eggs that stay white should be removed as they will encourage fungal growth. Once the eggs hatch the corys will have yolk sac but when that is gone feed them frozen baby brine shrimp, or the Hikarii first bites. Also once they hatch get them in another tank or even a shoe box with a sponge filter and heater and make sure you have some of the tank's substrate on the bottom of their nursery. I read that it help reduce losses and when I put some into my nursery I did stop having losses of fry. I would also add some small plants or floating plants for cover. When I found the eggs on one of my lotus leaves I had over 30 eggs and after the hatching and when they grew up a bit I wound up with 25.

Oh I forgot-when I had my eggs I floated them in the tank in a plastic shoe box with an airstone and did 1/3 WC twice a day. Then when they hatched I moved them out of the tank and put them in a plastic sweater box with the sponge filter and a heater and did WC twice a day at first and then when they got bigger once a day. You take their water out and replace it with water from your tank-not tap water.

THANK YOU For the confirmations!

I just made arrangements to pick up a 10 Gallon tank this afternoon. I have two tanks at home whose water quality is identical. I plan to move about 4 Gallons of water from the 5 Gallon tank they are in now into the new 10 Gallon Tank, and steal some of the sand substrate from the same tank. I can pull a few plants as well (Thanks for that tip!) I plan to also add about 4 Gallons of water from my other tank just so I have enough water to get up to the filter draw on the 10 Gallon tank. I will "steal" some bio media from each of the two tanks since this new tank is obviously not cycled. But I figure with all of the water coming from two already cycled tanks and providing enough media, I should be OK.

I won't be able to do water changes as I am leaving town in the morning with my wife for a much needed get away, but I will do a water change as soon as we return on Monday. I also therefor won't be able to remove any eggs that aren't seeming to make it, as I won't be here. But I am going to give them the best chance I can of surviving, and if they do, EXCELLENT! I need more Cories anyway in the next few weeks as I will be finishing my current 55 Gallon tank build and Cories are a staple bottom dweller for me.

If they don't make it, that'll suck, but it's not like I am trying to breed them, so it won't upset me too badly. That said, if the fry don't make it, I may just move the Cories into the 10 Gallon tank and let them spawn again, and then pull them out of the tank, leaving the eggs alone... Surely eggs and fry will have a better chance if they are not repeatedly moved around.. We'll see!

Boundava
07-07-2016, 03:32 PM
Well you have a filter with media running and I had WC and a (non-seeded) sponge filter so you should be okay with the filtered thank. However once their yolk sac is gone they do need to be fed twice a day. Defrosted baby brine shrimp with the optional Hikarii first bites is the easiest (and fastest to get) food-though Kens fish sells golden pearls in various sizes for fry, but I never got that for my guys. They love the defrosted baby brine shrimp and when they got a bit bigger I pulverized Ken's shrimp pellets and NLS pellets for them

PaulPerger
07-07-2016, 04:43 PM
Well you have a filter with media running and I had WC and a (non-seeded) sponge filter so you should be okay with the filtered thank. However once their yolk sac is gone they do need to be fed twice a day. Defrosted baby brine shrimp with the optional Hikarii first bites is the easiest (and fastest to get) food-though Kens fish sells golden pearls in various sizes for fry, but I never got that for my guys. They love the defrosted baby brine shrimp and when they got a bit bigger I pulverized Ken's shrimp pellets and NLS pellets for them

We will be back on their 5th day in egg, so we should be there when they break out of their shells, if they make it that far.

My LFS has BBS, so I will wait until we get back and see if there is a need to run out and get some. I will call and ask about Hikarii. I have a good shrimp pellet too, so I could crush those if needed.

SueD
07-07-2016, 05:00 PM
Surprise breedings like this just add extra excitement to the hobby. Hope these make it for you. But if not, as you said, they will probably provide you with more opportunities for fry down the road.

PaulPerger
07-08-2016, 03:06 AM
All of the eggs appear to be darkening in color. Yesterday they were pearl white. Today they look tan or yellowish. Two or three look like an eggshell white. I will look again in the morning before we leave...

I transferred them into their own tank. They are still in the breeder box, but should one or two get out they will be safe. I wrapped some batting around the water intake tube so no fry get sucked up into the filter.

I've done what I can do. Now I just need to sit back and wait...

Sent from my VIVO AIR using Tapatalk

Boundava
07-08-2016, 01:59 PM
The eggshell white are not viable and will start to go fuzzy, I would try to remove them.

angelcraze2
07-08-2016, 10:42 PM
Congrats on the cory eggs! I'm so excited for you and am following your thread, as I'm going through the same thing, except they are two days after hatching. I removed any eggs that were not viable, because by the day some were hatching, the unferlitilized/dead eggs started to fungus and contaminate good eggs. I tried to seperate them with squewers and I think I poked some open in the process because they started to hatch.

PaulPerger
07-13-2016, 01:57 PM
As I stated in earlier comments, the timing on these eggs was not the best as I had a getaway planned over the weekend.

I removed the few eggs that showed signs of not being viable before we left. When we returned, the whole batch had turned white and fuzzy. Because we were away I couldn't remove eggs that turned before the affected other eggs and I lost the whole bunch. I removed the fry basket containing all of the fuzzy eggs, inspected it carefully and determined that none of the eggs looked viable. I rinsed it off and put it away. I left the tank running because I didn't want to kill the bacteria in the media.

This morning I went down to feed the fish and decided to walk across the room and look into the 10 Gallon tank I had the eggs in and lo and behold, what did I see, but three itty bitty cories swimming around the bottom of the tank!

So, I lost several dozen, but a few appear to have hatched! So, I crushed some shrimp pellets and sprinkled that in. I will stop today and get some Brine Shrimp, and see if I can't grow these little guys out.

Momma Cory was rather lazy before we left town, but she was back to her jovial self when we returned. I am thinking that after these babies grow up a little more, I may move the three adult Cories into the 10 Gallon tank and see if they will breed again. I feel bad that I failed the first batch, but I wasn't expecting them and being out of town, I just couldn't do much more for them. I will try to get photos later...

Boundava
07-13-2016, 02:59 PM
Sorry about the majority of the eggs-but glad that you got some fry. :ssmile:

angelcraze2
07-13-2016, 05:27 PM
Yay! That's awesome! I'm happy you found three little babies, that surprise must have been so exciting!

I feed mine some crushed catfish shrimp pellets into almost a powder to start just like you are doing. I also feed them microworms once a day.
I have shrimp and shrimplets in the fry tank too, so I feed a little shrimp food and basically any small particles of food. I try to mix it up so that every fry finds something to eat.

Good luck with these fry, and for the next spawn, you'll know better what exactly to do!

PaulPerger
07-14-2016, 11:13 AM
I stopped on the way home last night and got some Hikari First Bites. I told my wife that we had babies and she didn't believe me. She had looked in the tank and wondered why I kept everything running since it was "empty".

So we went down together and stared and looked, and finally saw a little movement. Two or three, just like in the morning. They are so tiny they look like grains of the sand... with eyes! So, I proceeded to put in some food, and within a few seconds the bottom of the tank came to life! There are not just two or three! I think I have 8-10 babies in there!

I will obviously have to wait a week or so until they get large enough to see better to get a good count, but there are definitely more than three. There seem to be two basic body types. One is short, mostly head and eyes and shaped like a slightly elongated egg with clearly developing fins. The other is long and thin, almost like a tadpole. No clearly developing fins yet. I am guessing these are two different stages of development and I must have had several eggs drop through the cracks in the bottom of the fry basket and I had some eggs laying on the sand that I couldn't see. My guess is they were viable when they fell through and escaped the fungus that got the others in the basket.

The guy at the LFS couldn't believe that I had cories that just decided to breed without any prompting. He said he has had cories for years and has never seen them lay eggs. Which I found odd, because he is the second person who has said something similar. Is it really that rare that Cories breed on their own? Am I really that lucky?!

Boundava
07-14-2016, 12:05 PM
To be honest I have only "seen" my corys breeding once...eggs deposited were quickly eaten by my cherry and golden barbs back in the 29 gallon. The second time my sister was the one who saw the eggs on the lotus leaf...there is the 5 day period from laid to hatch; they must have been on the leaf for 3-4 days unoiticed because when we snipped the leaf and put it in a nursery the next day the majority turned orange and the day after they hatched. I think that it is more likely they breed more often, but the eggs are predated on before we notice and rescue them.

angelcraze2
07-14-2016, 05:53 PM
I agree. My mother's cories bred without doing anything special, and she has raised fry to maturity without doing anything special. But this was in a cory species tank. As soon as she added tetras to the tank, she stopped finding new baby cories.

In any case, it's cool that you were able to get a bunch to hatch while you were away. Just putting in the effort to hatch the eggs in a nursery makes you a lucky guy! I feel it's great to watch little babies grow, even if they are fry from prolific breeders like kribensis cichlids!

I'm so happy you have some cory fry after all. They do sound like some are in different stages of growth, it's exactly like mine. The first time I hatched cory fry, half of the eggs hatched a day before the rest.

Boundava
07-14-2016, 06:00 PM
Wow would love to have a cory only tank, or cory and chilli tank, imaging a 40B with 50 chillis and some 20-25 corys...:18:

angelcraze2
07-14-2016, 06:05 PM
Wow would love to have a cory only tank, or cory and chilli tank, imaging a 40B with 50 chillis and some 20-25 corys...:18:

Ahhh.....that would be so sweet!

My mom's tank was a 29g. The cories were in a 10g for the longest time, (that's why she only kept a few corydoras) but when she moved and planted a 29g, they started to breed and hatch. It could be that they were breeding in the 10g, but her tap pH at the old house was very high, 8, being on a well, and there's a good chance the eggs wouldn't have hatched or would develop fungus with a tank pH of almost 9! And she only did water changes once a month. In her new location, the water is much softer. Also, when she heavily planted her tank and upgraded from 10g to 29g, the fry started appearing.

PaulPerger
07-14-2016, 06:07 PM

I just sold a 40B... And agreed to purchase a 135 Gallon tank. (It is going to replace my not yet started second 55 Gallon tank). I am pretty sure I am going to do a large community tank. I have a BEAUTIFUL piece of driftwood that will be the centerpiece of the aquascape... I have a feeling I will have a lot of Cories in there!

PaulPerger
07-16-2016, 09:28 PM
I have been trying to work in my office today and I have been so distracted by Baby Cory watching that I have only accomplished about half of what I wanted to get done.

It is amazing how much they change from one day to the next. The oldest are already starting to show some color, which makes them much easier to spot.

Still to small to get any decent pictures, but as soon as I can get a picture, I'll post one!

RiversGirl
07-16-2016, 10:29 PM
have been so distracted by Baby Cory watching that I have only accomplished about half of what I wanted to get done.

It is amazing how much they change from one day to the next. The oldest are already starting to show some color, which makes them much easier to spot.

That's a wonderful way to spend a Saturday!

PaulPerger
07-16-2016, 11:19 PM
That's a wonderful way to spend a Saturday!

So, RiversGirl, My two Cories that mated are a Bronze Female and an Albino Male. Do you know if my babies be mixed, i.e. some Albinos and some Bronze? Or will I get all Bronze Cories? I have read both on different sites, so I have no idea which is correct! The only thing that seemed to be consistent is that the fry will not be "calico" or "mixed", they will be one or the other.

RiversGirl
07-17-2016, 12:36 AM
I do not know, but will be very interested to find out.
Hopefully other members here -- who have kept these both -- will chime in.

If not, there is a member I'd recommend to PM directly.

DoubleDutch
07-17-2016, 07:31 AM
It all depends on the ancestors of the bronze one. The albino gen is recessive. So a bronze one could have an albino gen without it being visible. An albino only can have albino-gens. I'll try to explain.
If X is the bronze-color and Y is albino.

He brown one can be
XX or XY (both colored bronze)
Albino is YY

If the bronze is XX and crosses with YY all offspring will be XY (1 gen from dad and one from mum)

If the bronze is XY and crossed with YY there will be XY (bronze) and YY (albino offspring)

Think there is a big chance the bronze is XX. All offspring will be bronze then. If the offspring (All XY) ill be interbred albino will reappear again !!!

Hoping this makes sense to you.

PaulPerger
07-17-2016, 02:10 PM
It all depends on the ancestors of the bronze one. The albino gen is recessive. So a bronze one could have an albino gen without it being visible. An albino only can have albino-gens. I'll try to explain.
If X is the bronze-color and Y is albino.

He brown one can be
XX or XY (both colored bronze)
Albino is YY

If the bronze is XX and crosses with YY all offspring will be XY (1 gen from dad and one from mum)

If the bronze is XY and crossed with YY there will be XY (bronze) and YY (albino offspring)

Think there is a big chance the bronze is XX. All offspring will be bronze then. If the offspring (All XY) ill be interbred albino will reappear again !!!

Hoping this makes sense to you.

:thankyoublue:

YES. This absolutely makes sense. In fact this is exactly what my assumption was. I just couldn't find anywhere that indicated if the Albino trait was a recessive gene, or not. Since my Bronze Cory was purchased from Walmart (it was one of the first fish I purchased), I have no idea what it's ancestry is and I have no way to find out. Of course, I DO have a way to find out, I am just going to have to wait for these little boogers to grow up! If they are all bronze, she's an "XX". IF I get a few of each, she's an "XY".

I found last night that if I turn off the lights and use a bright LED flashlight to look into the tank, I can spot them much easier, as they leave a shadow. Of course, they were moving a lot, so it was hard to get a count, but I have at least a dozen fry in there!

PaulPerger
07-18-2016, 01:02 AM
I took a short video of my fry tank. The quality isn't great, but the equipment I used isn't great either. BUT if you look closely, you can see Cory Babies!!!

My commentary isn't polished either, and I missed pointing out a few, but anyway, here they are!!

https://youtu.be/24L3deNjlto

PaulPerger
07-18-2016, 11:35 PM
Nitrites in my fry tank shot through the roof. They went from about 0.25 to 2.0 in one day!

And that is WITH a 70% water change after the 0.25 reading. I noticed that there is a general fuzz / haze over the sand, so I sucked out as much as I could without getting any fry. That wasn't easy... I had already decided that next time momma starts showing a swelled pouch I am going to put her and her two beaus into the 5 Gallon fry tank and let her lay eggs in there... I am about 90% sure the next one will not include any sand. It is near impossible to clean it without fear of sucking up a fry. If they swam away from the tube in fear, I wouldn't be so worried, but they come to it like it's a potential playmate or something!

I checked my other tanks just to be sure it wasn't something in the water change, but the other tanks are just fine. Clear light blue 0.0 ppm.

:help: Help! I am confused. The only thing I can think of that would cause a spike is that fuzzy rotting food. This would be so much easier if I could see them and see the food, but once that ground up food or first bites hits the water it becomes a little cloud that disperses and is gone...

PaulPerger
07-20-2016, 10:08 PM
Momma Laid MORE Eggs!, about half as many this time.

I started to notice last night that her egg sac (I have no idea if it actually has a name) was beginning to swell a little bit again, but last time I noticed that four or five days before eggs appeared. I planned on checking her out tonight and asking about it if she still showed signs of it enlarging, but she's back to her slender self again, and there are eggs on the wall of the tank. She laid them in the same place she laid the last bunch. I am beginning to wonder if I should buy several 10 gallon tanks and set up a little nursery!

The Betta is pretty interested this time.

PaulPerger
07-20-2016, 11:14 PM
So. I put up a barrier so the Betta couldn't get to the eggs and I put an air stone under the eggs to keep water moving over them and to keep the Betta (Azule) from wanting to go back there (he HATES air stones). But, neither stopped him. He wiggled between the barrier and the glass and endured the air bubbles and snacked on a few eggs.

So I pulled out the eggs like last time and put them in the floating fry basket in the fry tank for the moment, and now Momma Cory is frantically searching for her eggs. She keeps going back to that spot where they were and rubbing up against the glass.

Do Cories normally care for their eggs? I thought I read they were as likely to eat them as the Betta is which is why I opted to move eggs and not just the Betta last time. Now I am wondering if I should just set upa new home for the Betta and let the cories have this tank to themselves and just net out babies when the tank becomes overloaded and as they get big enough to remove.

PaulPerger
07-25-2016, 07:46 PM
The second batch of eggs all turned fuzzy, so I have no new Cory fry to talk about, but I did take a short video of the "old fry". They are only 12 days old (since hatching, 17 since eggs were laid) and they look like little Bronze Cories. I don't believe my Female has the Recessive Albino gene, as all of the current survivors seem to be showing bronze coloring already. I had about 15-20 fry at one point, but I only have nine now. I have not seen any little carcasses, so I am wondering if the bigger ones at their much smaller siblings.

Anyway, here is a video of the survivors...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdcW21DcDSk&feature=youtu.be

DoubleDutch
10-01-2016, 08:24 AM
Well done Paul. Looking great !

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G925F met Tapatalk

Silbar
10-01-2016, 02:39 PM
I'm sorry the fry did not make it but at least your Corys are healthy enough to keep having babies!

RiversGirl
10-01-2016, 02:46 PM
Very cute! It is wonderful that you are having fun as well.