PDA

View Full Version : New Tank, need advice

gwenkat
08-05-2006, 01:33 AM
Hi all. I received a 29 gallon tank for my birthday and am ready to upgrade from my 10 gallon. I currently have 4 guppies and one lone Mollie. I have a friend who will be taking the Mollie to add to her tank (she has other Mollies) so she is not a real consideration. I was thinking about getting some more guppies and a school of Neon Tetras (about 10). I wanted to get a ghost shrimp to help keep things clean. My question is that my 3 year old daughter wants a shark. Is there anything shark-like that I can have with the guppies, tetras, and ghost shrimp? What other colorful fish would be good with the others I want to have? Thanks for the advice.

PS - thanks for the tips on the snails. I think I might leave my 10 gallon tank as a snail tank and then I won't have to kill them all. :)

rollie
08-05-2006, 01:42 AM
a red- tail black shark, would go good with then. i would get 2, that way they got someone to play with. they only get 4 to 5 inches in lenght. most other sharks get quite big.

gwenkat
08-05-2006, 01:44 AM
Thank you. That will make my baby girl so happy. All I have heard since I got the tank was "Can I have a shark?"

William
08-05-2006, 07:18 AM
They are a nice fish but can sometimes be very territorial against other sharks and it can for this reason be best to keep just one in your aquarium.

rollie
08-05-2006, 09:12 AM
i never keep just one in the tank. i keep at least 2 or more to the tank.they like to chased each other. but they never seem to hurt each other. plus you have a big tank to. most books say 1 to the tank, but i do not agreed with that. i have been keeping and raising fish for about 35 years now. but it up to you what you do. this is just my 2 cent worth.

gwenkat
08-05-2006, 03:27 PM
Ok guys, I have spent the morning doing research and have found some fish I like. Please tell me what you think of them and how they would do together in the 29 gallon tank and what numbers to get.

Dwarf Gourami
Neon Rainbow fish
Dojo Loach
Black lace angel fish
queen loach
Hi Fin Lyretail Swordtail
Guppies
Platies
Clown Pleco
redtail black shark

Thank you for your advice. I appreciate how willing you are to assist beginners in their hobby!!

William
08-05-2006, 08:10 PM
Most of those are good. I would stay away from the angel fish that grows to large for your tank and the cllown pleco which can be somewhat sensetive.

I will not arguea about the red tails as I'm only saying that there might be problems. It might work out fine as it has for rollie in the past.