PDA

View Full Version : Angelfish pair?

triplet 1
06-11-2016, 10:38 PM
Hi guys! I have an angelfish question.
I have a tank with two angelfish and one Tiger Barb (I know conventional wisdom says these are a bad match but they have lived together without trouble for several years).
Recently (in the past few months), the larger of the two angelfish (we can call her Angelfish A) began to lay infertile eggs without a partner. She did this several times, and after a few days ate the eggs. She would chase the other two fish to the other side of the tank to protect her eggs, but otherwise did not act aggressive.
In the past few weeks, I have noticed her getting more aggressive toward the other fish. Also, although there used to be a large size disparity between the two fish, the smaller (Angelfish B) recently had a "growth spurt" and now is almost the same size as Angelfish A. They have been fighting rather aggressively but haven't shown any other pairing behaviors.
Today it seems that Angelfish A has laid eggs again; however, instead of defending them from Angelfish B as she normally does, she is allowing B to go near the eggs, fan them, and even eat (I think) a couple. She chases the Tiger Barb away from the eggs perhaps more energetically than she did before, but Angelfish B appears to defend the eggs very little.
As I was watching them, Angelfish B swam near and away from the eggs, and Angelfish A seemed not to mind at all. In fact, they bumped into each other several times while caring for the eggs. However, after that, she became extremely aggressive toward Angelfish B and chased B excessively (more so than the barb) around the tank and lip-locked several times.
Is it possible that these two are a pair? They have never shown interest in each other before, and they have been together since they were small. Also, I am attaching pictures of Angelfish B. I know that Angelfish A is a female because she lays the eggs, but I'm not sure of the sex of Angelfish B. I have heard of female-female angelfish pairs, but I would also be excited if the eggs could be fertile.

Thanks!

angelcraze2
06-11-2016, 11:38 PM
I have heard of female-female angelfish pairs, but I would also be excited if the eggs could be fertile

Hi triplet. I'm afraid what you heard is the case here, the angelfish in the pic you posted is 100% female as well. Both of your females will be laying eggs soon, as angelfish b is gravid. I see some scar tissue on angelfish b's lips typical from lip locking (pair or not, this can happen). Depending on the size of your tank, they may be able to co-exist, but I recommend keeping an eye out for any injuries and keep the water very clean to prevent infection. That's just a heads up, the lips of angelfish b have healed nicely, btw.

triplet 1
06-11-2016, 11:44 PM
Thanks for the help! If I were to break the pair up and place them with other angels, do you think there is a chance of them re-pairing with other (hopefully male) angelfish? I have several others in different tanks.

triplet 1
06-11-2016, 11:53 PM
One more question:
Angelfish A has been keeping her tail clamped, which is something I've never seen her do before. Is this a sign of stress that I should watch out for?
(This is a link to a picture of her because I could not get it to upload for some reason.
http://oi63.tinypic.com/2dik745.jpg)

angelcraze2
06-12-2016, 12:01 AM
Thanks for the help! If I were to break the pair up and place them with other angels, do you think there is a chance of them re-pairing with other (hopefully male) angelfish? I have several others in different tanks.

Yes! That's absolutely a possibility and actually probable. A male angelfish will want to pair with both of your females right away. That's a great idea to move some angelfish around, especially if you have a spare 20 high + gallons to move a pair in once one is formed since you would be excited to have some fertile eggs.

angelcraze2
06-12-2016, 12:13 AM
One more question:
Angelfish A has been keeping her tail clamped, which is something I've never seen her do before. Is this a sign of stress that I should watch out for?
(This is a link to a picture of her because I could not get it to upload for some reason.
http://oi63.tinypic.com/2dik745.jpg)

Idk why the image wouldn't upload for me. But tail clamped is a sign that she is unhappy. Most likely she's upset about the eggs, she will defend them until she finds out they have spoiled since they are not fertile, within 72 hours, at which point the eggs will start to fungus and she or other tank inhabitants will eat them. Then she will be back to normal until next spawn (typically within two weeks at least when there's a male present). You could remove the eggs right away to avoid this aggression, or keep your eye close and move the fish when the other tanks are ready.

If you are still worried, as a precaution, you could check tank parameters/conditions (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, temperature) to make sure they are where you want them to be. You could also try reducing the lighting, and if things get too aggressive and you're not ready to move any fish, turn the light off completely or add a divider.

triplet 1
06-12-2016, 12:23 AM
Thank you for all the help!:ssmile::ssmile::biggrin:
I will definitely keep an eye on them both to make sure that there is not too much stress or injury. Luckily Angelfish B has a nice hiding place inside one of the decorations where Angelfish A cannot reach because she is slightly larger still. I will probably make plans to move one of them to another angel tank. The tank seems to have calmed down somewhat now so hopefully they will have established their ground and keep to themselves a little bit.

angelcraze2
06-12-2016, 12:25 AM
Additional info: Angelfish b is a young angelfish. I assume angelfish a is relatively young as well. That's why I think you will have no problem with them pairing off with a male in another large enough tank. Angelfish are usually monogamous, but I've seen many times over angelfish switching partners or dominant males who fertilize more than one female's spawn. The older they get, (4 years +) the harder it is to get an angelfish to accept a new partner.

triplet 1
06-12-2016, 12:32 AM
The two are the same age.
The other angels I have are mostly much younger (and smaller) though. Do angelfish take size/age into account when choosing a partner? (You can tell I'm rather new at this haha.)

angelcraze2
06-12-2016, 03:41 AM
The other angels I have are mostly much younger (and smaller) though. Do angelfish take size/age into account when choosing a partner?

Not that I have seen or noticed personally. The two participants must be of breeding age of course though, anywhere from 8 to 12 months.