PDA

View Full Version : Help identifying what is this growth on my neon tetra?

christineg
05-30-2016, 12:19 AM

Hello,
I'd appreciate any tips to identify this growth on my neon tetra... tumor, egg ball, or something else? Just noticed it today. It's 1 of 8 neon tetras, approx 1.5 years old, not acting sick or having any trouble swimming. Thank you in advance! This is my first aquarium of fish and first time on an Aquatic Forum.

madagascariensis
05-30-2016, 12:46 AM
That doesn't look good at all. I suspect it is either a tumor or internal organs partially extruded through the body wall. Even if it is acting normal right now, the chance of that healing fully are low and the lump will be prone to injury and infection.
I recommend putting the fish out of its misery. clove oil from the pharmacy works well.

DoubleDutch
05-30-2016, 07:52 AM
That doesn't look good at all. I suspect it is either a tumor or internal organs partially extruded through the body wall. Even if it is acting normal right now, the chance of that healing fully are low and the lump will be prone to injury and infection.
I recommend putting the fish out of its misery. clove oil from the pharmacy works well.

Agree with M.

RiversGirl
05-30-2016, 04:27 PM
I'd just like to offer my condolences to you. It is not easy to have to make the decision to put down a pet.

christineg
05-31-2016, 11:17 AM
Thank you, but the next morning, the egg ball growth (or whatever it was) had fallen off the fish and she (?) is swimming and acting normal. The egg ball growth was at the bottom of the tank, but gone (maybe eaten) by the end of the day. Strange!

DoubleDutch
05-31-2016, 11:19 AM
Quite strange. Does it show a lump on its lip also ?

Boundava
05-31-2016, 12:31 PM
Very odd indeed, never seen that before. I also thought it was a prolapse or growth of some sort. :scratchheadblue:

RiversGirl
05-31-2016, 12:37 PM
It is quite mysterious. Glad that it dropped off, but still wish I knew what it was.

madagascariensis
05-31-2016, 02:32 PM
dropped off? that's quite unheard of. if you look at the fish's belly is there any opening or wound at the attachment site?