PDA

View Full Version : Finches

Jwfish13
05-19-2016, 06:30 PM
Does anyone keep finches as pets? I am planning on getting 3 pair soon and was wondering if anyone has experience keeping them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Fish & Bird Kid
05-19-2016, 06:31 PM
Not now, but I have kept finches in the past.
My very first birds - I was 6 or 7, was a pair of finches I won at an amusement park.

Rue
05-19-2016, 06:36 PM
We had finches for about years as well. I really enjoyed them.

I am not interested in breeding, so we had a mixed flock of compatible males.

Jwfish13
05-19-2016, 07:07 PM
Are they relatively easy to keep? I don't know if I will get into breeding

Fish & Bird Kid
05-19-2016, 07:21 PM
I didn't breed them.
Yes, very easy to keep. Food, water, cleaning.

Jwfish13
05-19-2016, 07:42 PM
Thanks FBK! do you keep any birds now?

Fish & Bird Kid
05-19-2016, 07:52 PM
I have a yellow nape amazon parrot now. I've had finches, parakeets, cockateils, a macaw.
Finches were the smallest and easiest.
If you don't like vacuuming, birds are not the pet for you. :)

Rue
05-19-2016, 08:26 PM
...If you don't like vacuuming, birds are not the pet for you. :)

You can say that again! I swear my parrots throw food at me while I'm vacuuming!

The finches were easy to keep. I liked our group of mixed males. Technically they were my daughter's, but I was pretty involved in helping out. She let them fly around her bedroom for time out. I probably wouldn't have done it, but surprisingly they quickly learned to go back to the cage at 'round-up time'. Who knew? It didn't take long for them to learn to go back on their own. However, the bedroom was also quite safe and we could easily catch one if we had to.

I have 5 parrots, my plucked African Grey (we got her like that), my Green-cheeked Amazon, my Pionus - and I've been 'given' my daughter's geriatric budgie and my younger son's cockatiel. So yes...lots and lots (did I say lots?) of vacuuming.

I will add one thing about cleaning up if they poop outside the cage - let the bird poop DRY and then vacuum up. There will be very little, if any stains if you let it dry first. BUT that's provided you don't feed them coloured pelleted bird food. I never do. I don't think it should even be allowed. Totally unnecessary for birds.

Jwfish13
05-19-2016, 08:36 PM
Ive had birds in the past and enjoyed them for the most part. I had a pair of love birds and they were the noisiest birds known to man lol. Rue what did you keep your finches in?

Rue
05-19-2016, 09:10 PM
It was hard finding a recommended cage, but we managed. It was a largish rectangular cage, longer than tall. They flit from branch to branch horizontally, so vertical space is wasted.

If I had to do it again, I'd opt for one of those huge finch cages - once it gets to a certain size they'll make a bit more room of the vertical space. Or you build your own. If I were to build one out of wood, I'd paint the wood with a marine-type paint to make cleaning it easier. I spot clean all winter, and then in the summer everything gets hauled outside for a massive scrub-down.

Jwfish13
05-19-2016, 09:28 PM
Yeah I knew you wanted a wider rather that taller cage, got my eye on one lol

Rue
05-19-2016, 09:49 PM
The range and types of unsuitable pet cages out there never ceases to amaze me. 'They' keep making cages that aren't fit for any animal live in. I don't understand why that is. Is it that much harder to make one or two suitable cages than a kazillion unsuitable cages? And should you stumble across a more suitable cage, it's so expensive (for what you get) that no one will buy it! Talk about stupid.

I'd better stop...or I'll go off on another cage rant...

Shidohari
05-19-2016, 10:06 PM
Would have loved to have parakeets in my condo, however because there's this big wide opening above the entryway which is right over the kitchen, I didn't want to chance it even if I was able to keep their wings clipped, I also work two jobs, which wouldn't provide the required socialization time either.

That being said I do love watching birds, and it saddens me when the cages are too small. I better stop too...or I'll go on a cage rant too.

Rue
05-19-2016, 10:19 PM
You could have finches in a larger cage, that would work. They are a bit less messy than budgies and less noisy as well. I really liked their chirping, although I was surprised that my husband found it very irritating, so I guess it's not universal!

A single male canary is another option. I rescued one - and was surprised at how personable he was. You only 'need' one male canary. If you can give him attention in the evenings when you're home, he will be fine. Sadly, my rescue wasn't in the best of health to begin with and I didn't have him very long.

Right now I'm not in the market for any more pets...but I'd be quite happy with another down the road some time.

Jwfish13
05-19-2016, 10:27 PM
I'm sorry if my comment was misunderstood as me getting a small cage, I meant I saw one I think it was 36 inches wide and a little taller than wide but I'm sure it would work. I'm sorry if I upset you Rue

Rue
05-19-2016, 10:29 PM
I didn't read it that way! I'm not upset at all! LOL...

I know you're putting thought into the cage! :D

Fish & Bird Kid
05-19-2016, 11:30 PM
The range and types of unsuitable pet cages out there never ceases to amaze me. 'They' keep making cages that aren't fit for any animal live in. I don't understand why that is. Is it that much harder to make one or two suitable cages than a kazillion unsuitable cages? And should you stumble across a more suitable cage, it's so expensive (for what you get) that no one will buy it! Talk about stupid.

I'd better stop...or I'll go off on another cage rant...

I think many people consider bird cages (and birds) as decorations, rather than homes (and pets). It's probably easier to sell a "decorative" cage than it is to sell a proper cage. The manufacturers and stores accommodate the "wrong" consumer. And yes it is a shame that a good and appropriate cage is so darned expensive.

Jwfish13
05-20-2016, 12:11 AM
Yeah I think that's true, it's sad

SueD
05-20-2016, 01:35 AM
I think many people consider bird cages (and birds) as decorations, rather than homes (and pets). It's probably easier to sell a "decorative" cage than it is to sell a proper cage. The manufacturers and stores accommodate the "wrong" consumer. And yes it is a shame that a good and appropriate cage is so darned expensive.

Sort of analogous to the betta bowls one might see like this

http://www.thatpetplace.com/elive-betta-bowl-and-planters

I love birds, also, but knew their care wasn't for me. I have to satisfy myself with the wild ones outside and my one neighbor who sometimes takes a stroll with his macaw on his shoulder.

Slaphppy7
05-20-2016, 01:41 AM
I am going to move this thread to the "Other Pets" section of the forum, so that everyone's posts will count toward individual activity on the AC.

Shidohari
05-20-2016, 07:31 AM
Sort of analogous to the betta bowls one might see like this

http://www.thatpetplace.com/elive-betta-bowl-and-planters

I love birds, also, but knew their care wasn't for me. I have to satisfy myself with the wild ones outside and my one neighbor who sometimes takes a stroll with his macaw on his shoulder.

OMG why would anyone use those...they are even smaller than the Betta Falls containers...and you guys already know I returned THAT to petsmart within two days of buying it.

HEADIN
05-20-2016, 08:30 AM
Amazing little birds to keep and breed if your interested in them. Miss my avairy big time from when I was younger.

Jwfish13
05-20-2016, 11:20 AM
Thanks Slap, lol should of put it here in the first place

Jwfish13
05-20-2016, 11:20 AM
Where did you get your finches from?

Boundava
05-20-2016, 01:13 PM
Love finches and the fact that they "beep" when they chirp, cutest little guys. Agree with the bigger cage the better, our 4 budgies/parakeets are in a 36" x 36" cage I got from Dr. Foster and Smith, if I could have found a 48" x 18" I would have got that instead as they stay on the top levels of the cage even with the lower perches but finding big cages with the right bar spacing for little birds can be difficult and pricey. If you have bird fairs by you, they have inexpensive cages too- and you may find a good breeder there as well. I once got a 15lb box of millet for $5 and always got cheap supplies there, of course some like to try and get more $$ out of you and some breeders aren't the best, but I loved going to them when I had time.

Slaphppy7
05-20-2016, 01:13 PM
Thanks Slap, lol should of put it here in the first place

You're always welcome.