PDA

View Full Version : Pleco for my first tank

Wolfgang
05-04-2016, 04:44 PM
Hey there. I am currently getting everything together for my very first tank and would like to have 2 plecos. The tank is a 40B, will have live plants, one piece of driftwood, one piece of fake decor, with PFS substrate.

Other fish that I'd like to have in the tank...

10 Cardinal Tetra
10 of another tetra species, not sure yet what kind
8 Sterbai Cory's
2-3 Gouramis (Pearl or Honey)

I went to Petco the other day and they only had two species of pleco, the common pleco (will stay away from since I hear they get big) and an albino bristlenose. Could I have some recommendations on a good size pleco to have in a 40B tank? I'd like to get 2, can they be different species or should they be the same? Do the sexes matter?

Rocksor
05-04-2016, 04:54 PM
When getting bottom dwellers, you need to consider

1. how often do you want to see them? For example, Nocturnal fishes like the clown pleco will only be seen once a month unless you know where they hide.

2. Will they get enough food to eat, so that you don't keep putting food in, just so they get a bite while the other fish are overfed? Cories can out compete a pleco for food.

Wolfgang
05-04-2016, 05:03 PM
When getting bottom dwellers, you need to consider

1. how often do you want to see them? For example, Nocturnal fishes like the clown pleco will only be seen once a month unless you know where they hide.

2. Will they get enough food to eat, so that you don't keep putting food in, just so they get a bite while the other fish are overfed? Cories can out compete a pleco for food.

Is there anything a pleco eats that cory's DO NOT eat?? I've been reading journals on here and other sources on the internet where a lot of people have cory's and plecos that coexist together.

Slaphppy7
05-04-2016, 05:34 PM
I have a single BNP with 12 corys in my 40B, they get along just fine.

Mine chews on his DW, but he likes pellets and fresh veggies, too.

SueD
05-04-2016, 06:17 PM
When I did see my pleco out, like Matt's, it was either the pellets or zucchini that drew him out.

Wolfgang
05-05-2016, 01:02 AM
What is the maximum size of an adult pleco I should be looking at for a 40B tank?

Wookster
05-05-2016, 07:02 AM
Go with the Bristlenose..they don't get more than 5 inches or so, won't ravage your plants if fed veggies and will be more active than most. At least mine don't hide 24/7, but every fish is different.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Boundava
05-05-2016, 12:50 PM
I agree and you have a couple different color options with the BN. I see mine in the evenings or when I put in fresh veggies (yellow swash, zucchini, sweet potato, winter squash like acorn-pumpkin-hubbard-kubati, watermelon, cantaloupe, honey dew) The corys also love this stuff too (and the amano and the otos). When he isn't eating he is on the DW or on the background I built (basically for him, my other plecos and my Dojos).

I would recommend sticking to one pleco for the 40B, try one and you can see for yourself. I love my BN-bumbling brute he is but you can stock a lot more fish without the additional pleco.

Slaphppy7
05-05-2016, 01:18 PM
TBH, if I were to start over with my 40B, I probably wouldn't even get a pleco.

Very high bioload for a fish I rarely see.

RiversGirl
05-05-2016, 01:28 PM

This is why I haven't added one.

Rocksor
05-05-2016, 01:45 PM
imagine over 5 4"+ of these littering your substrate, and multiplying every day...

http://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/attachments/freshwater-fish-forums/174150d1438049189-bristlenose-pleco-poop-img_0253.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a392/C0WB0YCHRIS/fish%20poop/DSCF6120.jpg

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk125/Mooo/Pleco-poop2.jpg

Boundava
05-05-2016, 02:04 PM
Yup-poop machines and you can see just how efficient their GI is when they eat yellow squash or orange sweet potatoes...

SueD
05-05-2016, 02:19 PM

I agree. I sold mine - he reached almost 6"

Wolfgang
05-05-2016, 08:22 PM
BN = Bristle nose AND bushy nose? Same thing?

Rocksor
05-05-2016, 08:26 PM
for the common name, yes. There are many different species (or L numbers) or BN plecos.