PDA

View Full Version : Calling all corydora breeders!

angelcraze2
04-24-2016, 08:34 PM
I recently visited a friend's house and I left with some laser cory eggs out of the blue from his tank. They were stuck to the sides of his tank, he gently scaped them off with a razor and plopped them in a baggie for me to take home and try to hatch. I was stoked to see about 5 of them had hatched on the way home! By the next day, 13 had hatched, (I actually only thought I got 12 eggs).

So 10 or 11 of them hatched on Tuesday evening, and two or three Wednesday day. I let them loose in a cycled 5g bare-bottom tank with a sponge filter. I started feeding them, but do water changes daily, so I'm not sure if they are eating yet?

Today, the oldest wigglers will be 5 days old after hatching. Can anyone tell me when I should start feeding them?

Silbar
04-24-2016, 08:51 PM
Congrats on the Cory babies! I'm sure that Nat will step in with suggestions from her experience. Good luck and keep us posted.

RiversGirl
04-24-2016, 08:54 PM
Congratulations! How very exciting!!

SueD
04-24-2016, 10:45 PM
Nice friend you have. Are those orange or red lasers?

AmazonJoe
04-24-2016, 10:55 PM
Awwww nice!!! good deal thumbs2:

madagascariensis
04-25-2016, 01:14 AM
Microworms are the best fry food. In absence of microworms, ground pellets or flake will do. I've also found that taking a nice, gunky filter sponge and squeezing the detritus out into the fry rearing tank provides a good variety of smaller microorganisms for fry that are either too small treat microworms or don't recognize flakes as food.

angelcraze2
04-25-2016, 03:55 PM
Yay! Tx everyone! Yes, I'm very excited and feel lucky. I always wanted a school of cories in my SA community tank. I really hope I don't mess this up.

Nice friend you have. Are those orange or red lasers?

Yes, very nice friend. We share aquarium things all the time. It's great to have a friend so into aquariums for sure! They are orange laser cories.

Microworms are the best fry food. In absence of microworms, ground pellets or flake will do. I've also found that taking a nice, gunky filter sponge and squeezing the detritus out into the fry rearing tank provides a good variety of smaller microorganisms for fry that are either too small treat microworms or don't recognize flakes as food.

Thank you. I do have microworms! I've been feeding them crushed shrimp pellets, baby shrimp food, Repashy 'spawn and grow', and can try first bites. The fry don't seem to move very much yet. I know they are nocturnal and in my friend's tank, the adults are not all that active, but when I drop food in, they just flutter their pectorals, and maybe? they are foraging? Do you know when they start eating? This is day 5 and 6 after hatching. I'm pretty sure they are getting bigger, so they must be eating......right? I'm going to try microworms today! Since you are so knowledgeable with cory fry foods, what is your opinion about frozen BBS?

angelcraze2
04-25-2016, 04:02 PM
Oh and madagascariensis, I always have that 5g fry tank going with snails and floating plants, I haven't had fry in that tank for a little bit now, and I noticed little bugs (copepods, I think) had made a comeback. Hopefully they will eat those too!

Slaphppy7
04-25-2016, 04:20 PM
Missed this somehow, congrats!....lazers are awesome, wish I had some

RiversGirl
04-25-2016, 04:23 PM
Best wishes for these to grow up into a nice sized group for you! It certainly does sound as though they are eating the infusoria in your tank.

madagascariensis
04-25-2016, 06:01 PM
I can't imagine frozen bbs to be much different from other fry food, but I have heard that other breeders report physical deformities from excessive/exclusive feeding with bbs (no clue what mechanism might underlie that or whether this is accurate).

I find that cory fry may be too small to take microworms for the first few days after initiation of feeding. As a recreational breeder with small numers of fry I just let them feed off filter gunk until they are large enough. dedicated breeders have cultures of smaller critters like walter worms and vinegar eels.

A suitable food source for cory fry must be fairly immobile and on the substrate (i.e. sinking). I doubt that cories of any age can catch free-swimming copepods, although they'd be great in a tetra/danio rearing tank.

angelcraze2
04-25-2016, 09:15 PM
You are probably right about the copepods. And also, they are not eating the microworms I tried this morning. I'll try and get vinegar eels at the next auction. I've never heard of Walter worms.... Thanks for that info about BBS.

They will probably eat diatoms and stuff off the filter. I still sprinkle some crushed foods as well. If the fry aren't eating the foods yet, the snails are.

angelcraze2
04-25-2016, 09:28 PM
Nice! Walter worms stay in the water column longer than microworms. That would be better for my angelfish fry. Thanks for the tip!

angelcraze2
05-15-2016, 04:11 AM
So, I have bad news :( And a bit of good. I lost all but one cory baby. But the trooper is a big fat one! I'm very ashamed and sad that it didn't work out but I'm going to do things differently next time. It could have been a few things that led to this-that I can think of yet.

1) I'm going to use a tank with sand as a substrate instead of bare-bottom. I feel the sand might help stabilize the fish better, and help them maneuver. I also think the sand might help immobilize the food, where the current from the sponge filter kept the food moving slighly on the glass bottom. My fry weren't ever active, didn't seem to care when I fed the tank, and didn't grow.

2) I kept that tank too clean. I did add some dirty sponge from another filter, but I was changing the water too often. I think. I feel a dirtier more established tank with lots of bb would be better for cory fry.

3) I regret to admit, I forgot to plug the heater back in after a water change overnight. I don't know if this did anything, but their numbers started to fall daily after this.

4) I noticed my sponge filter 'broke' ; the weight stand for the sponge was covered in something black-stained that emitted an odd odour. This was underneath the filter where I couldn't see until it was lifted. It left a rusty stain on the glass. The plastic cracked and allowed whatever was used as a weight to make contact with the water column. If it's made with lead...well, when I saw this, I just didn't use the weight anymore, and left the sponge float freely. I bought a new sponge filter off EBay, so I'm just waiting for it.

I'll probably give this one trooper back to my friend to join the 7 slighly older ones he managed to raise in his tank. They are happier in groups and it's very hard to feed one baby fish in a 5g, or should I say, not overfeed.

madagascariensis
05-15-2016, 05:40 AM
Sorry to hear. Stuff like this tends to happen in the first few tries.
It doesn't help that fish fry come to the world highly un-equipped compared to things like mammals and birds.
If it helps, natural mortality of fry is extremely high as well, and wild fish generally rely on saturating the environment with so many babies that some survive by luck.

DoubleDutch
05-15-2016, 07:11 AM
1 a thin layer of sand is good in a Cory- breeding tank.
2 a breedingtank shouldn't be dirted but kept as clean as possible
3 be sure the temperature of the waterchange is exact the same as the tankwater. I have an unheated tank and place a bucket full of water a day before in the room, so thet will be the same.
4 use microworms as food. Those stay alive for 24 hours so won't pollute the water by decaying
5 my first attemp died of completely.

Slaphppy7
05-15-2016, 03:15 PM
Tough losses, sorry to hear of this.

angelcraze2
05-16-2016, 09:42 PM
Thanks everyone for the reassurance.

Madagascariensis: Thanks, I hope next time I have better success. Thanks for your help, I wouldn't have done the 'dirty' filter floss thing if you didn't let me know about it.

DoubleDutch: Thank you. That's what I meant :)
-a thin layer of sand. I have some dirted tanks, but I wasn't planning on dirting the 5g. Although, I had given it some thought, no that sets my thinking straight. Also, I'm feeding the lone survivor microworms everyday and a bit of other crushed foods, like pellets.

Slaphppy: Sure is tough, I hate failing and losing fry. But like I said, I'm not giving up!

angelcraze2
05-16-2016, 09:46 PM
PS- By a dirty tank, I mean full of filter organisms and some algae.

angelcraze2
05-25-2016, 02:04 AM
I took a video of the little corycat today and wanted to share. He loves his microworms!
https://youtu.be/wwplvLpCqVY

Warning: Turn down the sound, the filter is still broken.