PDA

View Full Version : Betta tank mates with Gourami?

Aquawoman
04-24-2016, 07:40 PM
I've kept fish for years, so I feel a bit stupid for even asking. However, I still feel unknowledgable in some areas. Would a betta get picked on if he shared a tank with gouramis? More specifically blue and gold gouramis. I've only kept bettas with smaller fish, but even then I still had to separate.

Boundava
04-24-2016, 08:14 PM
Depends on the tank size, temperment of the betta and if you are talking dwarf gourami or honey gourami. Dwarf gouramis are territorial and will be very aggressive to another fish like itself= betta. Which is technically a gourami.

Slaphppy7
04-24-2016, 08:21 PM
Personally, I wouldn't try it...bettas in ANY community tank are a gamble, to begin with

Shidohari
04-29-2016, 11:30 PM
And definitely don't put them in a community tank that already contains a Gourami as they are of the same family (as mentioned in a earlier post).

for example right now I'm watching both of my tanks as I have schooling fish in both of them with my bettas. Especially my 20 gallon tall as it took my crowntail a while to come up for food today, though he did eventually come up to eat. I have my 2.5 gallon tank set up with the airpump/sponge filter and betta heater just in case I have to move him.

good luck but you've already gotten good feedback thus far.