PDA

View Full Version : Male betta in a community tank (would he over eat)

daniel2222
04-16-2016, 02:35 PM
Hello.
I probably won't try it but i wanted to a least consider it. I got a free 10 gallon that is cycling. My only other tank is an established 10 gallon with honey gourami,endlers,and Dwarf cory.
I wanted to consider transfering the honey gourami and endlers to the new tank once cycled; and then uping my Dwarf cories and adding a male betta.
Most say a betta will do good with Dwarf cories.

My main concern would be that the betta might over eat in any type of community tank. Im concerned the betta would constant eat anything I tried to put on the bottom for the cories.
Does anyone have experience with male betta in any kind of community tank. Would the betta probably over eat?
Would feeding the dwarf cories only after lights out keep the betta from eating anything i put on the bottom?

Shidohari
04-16-2016, 02:42 PM
Gourami's and Betta fish CANNOT be in the same tank as each other. As they are from the same fish family, there is a very LARGE chance they would fight and possibly kill each other, ESPECIALLY in a 10 gallon tank which is only able to support EITHER 1 Gourami or 1 Betta.

Pygmy corys work in a 10 gallon tank either a gourami or a Betta. In a school of 6 or more

Endler's males work in a ten gallon tank with either a gourami or a betta. Must be a school of six or more.

Is your tank cycled?

What kind of filtration and heating are you using in the tank.

Please advise so that we can assist you better...but DO NOT PUT A BETTA AND A GOURAMI IN THE SAME TANK.

I do apologize if I sound harsh in this post. We are glad you are here on this forum and we all help each other, and I was a rank amateur novice myself at one point...Keep smiling :D

daniel2222
04-16-2016, 02:53 PM
Gourami's and Betta fish CANNOT be in the same tank as each other. As they are from the same fish family, there is a very LARGE chance they would fight and possibly kill each other, ESPECIALLY in a 10 gallon tank which is only able to support EITHER 1 Gourami or 1 Betta.

Pygmy corys work in a 10 gallon tank either a gourami or a Betta. In a school of 6 or more

Endler's males work in a ten gallon tank with either a gourami or a betta. Must be a school of six or more.

Is your tank cycled?

What kind of filtration and heating are you using in the tank.

Please advise so that we can assist you better...but DO NOT PUT A BETTA AND A GOURAMI IN THE SAME TANK.

I do apologize if I sound harsh in this post. We are glad you are here on this forum and we all help each other, and I was a rank amateur novice myself at one point...Keep smiling :D

I know. Sorry if my post was unclear. I would remove the gourami and endlers and give them a new home. Then upping the dwarf cory number and putting a betta with just the dwarf cories.

one tank is currently cycling and one established.

Anyways my question is would a betta probably over eat in a community setting? This is not a compatability or cycling question.

Shidohari
04-16-2016, 03:02 PM
My bad, I woke up a couple hours ago and missed that part.

And if you feed the fish gradually like feed the school in one area and train the betta to eat in another area (easier if you feed all the fish flakes) you can avoid the issue of overeating in the tank.

I do apologize that I totally missed that part of the post where you mentioned one tank is cycling and one is established, and you were going to give the gourami and endlers a new home...I haven't drank all my coffee yet this morning.

daniel2222
04-16-2016, 03:08 PM
My bad, I woke up a couple hours ago and missed that part.

And if you feed the fish gradually like feed the school in one area and train the betta to eat in another area (easier if you feed all the fish flakes) you can avoid the issue of overeating in the tank.

I do apologize that I totally missed that part of the post where you mentioned one tank is cycling and one is established, and you were going to give the gourami and endlers a new home...I haven't drank all my coffee yet this morning.

No worries. Been there, done that. Lol. Im about to get my coffee going to. Took me forever to type this. So i might be able to get away with the betta not over eating. Ill have to think about it, i really want a betta but don't really want to commit a whole tank to one.

Thanks for the input

Shidohari
04-16-2016, 03:16 PM
No problem and yes I drop the food for the endlers in one side of the tank and a smaller portion of flakes in another side. Anything the endlers don't eat in my ten gallon the betta handles eventually...But I do ensure I drop very small pinches on the different sides of the tank for the flakes I use to minimize possibility of overfeeding.

Slaphppy7
04-16-2016, 03:21 PM
Sometimes bettas work in a community setting, sometimes not...you just don't know until you try, all bettas have their own individual personalities...some are docile as can be (like my Gerald, in a 10G with boraras, shrimp, and pygmy corys), and some are outright bullies.

Feeding would not be an issue though, as suggested, spread the food around the tank

Shidohari
04-16-2016, 03:26 PM
Good morning mr slap, and he's completely right btw.

Slaphppy7
04-16-2016, 03:26 PM
Morning, all.

bignellm
04-20-2016, 11:18 PM
I had a Betta in with H Rasbora's and Cories...
I also had a fast growing Brazilian Pennywort surface growing on one side...the Betta would hide in.
Fed him in the Pennywort, then added other food on other side of tank.
Had no issues with overfeeding.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Shidohari
04-20-2016, 11:30 PM
Have not gotten any floating plants yet for either of my betta community tanks, I do need to...I love the look of the pennywort, I also love anacharis (though have never been able to successfully grow it for long). Though my most pressing concerns are getting that extra filtration for my 20 gallon tall tank first before I consider if I still want floating plants for my betta tank.

Post pictures of the betta if you have them?

bignellm
04-21-2016, 02:49 AM
It was an old tank...
And the Betta finally succumbed to age two years ago.
But the guy really, really liked the Pennywort.
And that plant grows like mad at the top. Seriously. I bought I batch 6 years ago. 5.00
I made at least 250.00 on LFS trade ins of the clippings over course of year.

bignellm
04-21-2016, 02:55 AM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160421/818f7212572e4c65f7e2b2019c46ffde.jpg

Found this picture in my 10 Gallon Thread.

I_smell_fish
10-10-2016, 12:08 PM
Give the betta the floating pellets made for bettas and he'll stay at the top. For middle tank fish, drop in slower falling food, and for cories and other bottom fish, drop in fast falling large pellets. Even when I've thrown in flakes everyone got their share, although I wouldn't do that all the time. I've maintained betta community tanks for several years.