PDA

View Full Version : Seven angelfish in a 120g

angelcraze2
04-11-2016, 09:26 PM
Some of you might have read that I recently lost one of my beloved angelfish due to an ovarian prolaspe. Her ovipositor had dropped since I got her, she bred once and the prolaspe became worse after that.

Now I am concerned with my other females. It seems none of the angelfish want to lay eggs with the combo going on even though there are 'pairs' in the tank. There is a lot of courting going on all the time however and some of the fish flip-flop who they flirt with. But I'm so afraid of the another female suffering the same fate as my beloved blue, but don't know if I'm just being paranoid (because I am).

Can I do something with my setup to help this? Just about all the females are gravid, but two are not paired up. The male/female is now 3:4

Any suggestions? Comments?

Spardas
04-12-2016, 01:48 AM
Any females doing the cleaning action?

angelcraze2
04-12-2016, 04:47 AM
A bit, but not a lot. It seems when some cleaning starts happening, it gets interrupted by another male wanting in on the action. The focus then goes to the two males fighting; they can really go at it, but the most injuries they are left with is the odd nipped or torn fin which heals itself in a day or so. The other females swimming in an area being cleaned don't seem to get harassed half as much as the males.

Most of my angelfish have spawned on plants, sometimes, they'll spawn on the filter intake tubes.

There's a blue/blue pair who own the right side. The female of the blue pair is definitely gravid, and both fish will chase other angelfish to the middle of the tank mark. They may be getting a bit more aggressive lately, but I don't see her clean. I think I need a new spawning site maybe? They have a small sword, but maybe there's nowhere to lay eggs on the right side?

There's a platinum female who is also gravid and she swims with one platinum male one minute, then the other the next, and these two platinum males hate eachother.

The other two females are a gold marble pearlscale and another blue angelfish. These females don't seem to swim with anyone, they don't seem to clean, they are better tolerated by a courting pair, but one female looks a bit bulgy, and looks like she is trying to get the attention of the platinum males, but they are too focused on eachother and the same platinum female to give her the attention she is seeking.

I know that's quite the breakdown. The tank is adjacent to the TV and I am distracted easily :)

I was thinking of making a breeding tank available, and maybe moving the gold marble female and one of the platinum males into it and hope they get along. I don't need them to breed, just like eachother and get along. I'm wondering if this will open the 120g a bit and give the pairs more space. That would leave hopefully a blue pair, platinum pair, and a lone blue female.

I've had two pairs (different angelfish specimens) in that 120g tank without problems at all for years, so I know it can be done.

At first when I added more angelfish to the tank, I thought it was better since the aggression was so dispersed, but I feel it's encouraging the females to hold on to their eggs. I haven't seen a spawn in that tank for months.

angelcraze2
04-12-2016, 05:34 AM
https://youtu.be/eNhpPi-dFpw

Here's a 1 minute look at how the fish behave at times. The vid was taken on March 15th.

This is the female who swims with both male platinum angels, but in the evening, this is a normal occurance with this these two.

The blue angelfish pair act the same way on the right side.

DoubleDutch
04-12-2016, 06:39 AM
Isn't it an idea to "divide" your tank by putting plants / wood in the middle so a pair can establish a territory in one part and the other angels some space in the other part.

Rocksor
04-12-2016, 01:17 PM
It might be unsightly, but you could get a few of those ceramic breeding cones, and give the angels more areas to lay eggs.

angelcraze2
04-12-2016, 04:41 PM
Isn't it an idea to "divide" your tank by putting plants / wood in the middle so a pair can establish a territory in one part and the other angels some space in the other part.

Yeah, maybe I could try to turn the DW 30 on the right side and pull it a little more to the middle. The left side DW is s territory and the preferred one. Other pairs have laid eggs on the filter intake, in the center. (Should be on the other side I guess, but I cut the hosing too short).

angelcraze2
04-12-2016, 04:45 PM
It might be unsightly, but you could get a few of those ceramic breeding cones, and give the angels more areas to lay eggs.

I think something higher up, like breeding cones hanging from the water's surface somehow. They seem to ignore the growing amazon swords, I think they are too short in that tank. The tank is 26" high. I am thinking of replacing the rotala with vallisneria rubra. The leaves will grow all the way to the surface and are thick enough for angelfish to lay eggs on. It's thick-leaved like Val Americana or jungle val.

Spardas
04-12-2016, 05:02 PM
I like the idea of making a new breeding tank and giving more territory to the pairs in the tank.

angelcraze2
04-12-2016, 05:38 PM
@DoubleDutch This is a pic of my tank back in September of 2015. I contaminated that tank with cyanobacteria since and had to do a blackout. I also pruned a lot out and removed plants so I wouldn't have to clean as much. My amazon sword sprung out a big sprout of baby swords a while back, so, I have about 15 spare plants I could add. The plants in the 120g are still in recovery mode since they're such slow growers. I'm building back slowly, but don't want to have to clean so many leaves. They still get covered with brown algae and eventually will develop into BBA if I don't stay on top of it. I can also add a bushynose pleco, I have babies (about 2" now) in another tank.

DoubleDutch
04-12-2016, 05:39 PM
Love the angels !

angelcraze2
04-12-2016, 05:44 PM
I like the idea of making a new breeding tank and giving more territory to the pairs in the tank.

Thanks, I think I like that idea too, as well as dividing the tank a bit more with plants and/or DW, along with providing more spawning sites.

I'll have to do some work, but hopefully I can shuffle things around soon.

Thanks for all the suggestions and ideas so far.

angelcraze2
04-12-2016, 05:47 PM
Love the angels !

Thanks so much! They were always my favorite fish, but I lost one of the angels in the last pic :(

Four others in the pic are in breeder tanks now.

I still have the two blue angels on the right side and replaced the two blue/platinum pairs with three different platinums and a gold marble pearlscale. Poor girl, the goldie, she's beautiful but doesn't quite fit in. She hooked up once with one of the platinums now in a breeding tank. Hmm, I guess these angelfish get swapped and moved often! They are getting to be 2 years old and moving them isn't as easy on them like it is when they are younger. Also, they are more set in their ways as they mature, like us lol!, and finding a new partner is harder. The pairs in the breeder tanks are all good with eachother, there are three pairs in three 33g tanks.

angelcraze2
04-12-2016, 06:04 PM
@ Spardas: I either have to sell a pair in the breeder tanks right now, or temporarily use a 40g growout tank as a breeder tank. I want to sell a pair of platinums, I really have too many! I bought eight juvies at a time last year and only sold one! Seven adult platinum angelfish. I would like to add the gold pearlscale genes again into the breeding project, so I want to hold on to my gold marble female.

angelcraze2
04-13-2016, 05:59 AM
So here's what I did for now. I rotated the DW on the right side and brought it closer toward the center to allow for more territory room at the end of the tank. I also tied some java fern to create height for the 'divider'.

Boundava
04-13-2016, 12:01 PM
Looks great, now I can see 3 separate spaces. Hope the angels like it too and it helps the girls out. Beautiful tank BTW, and you have some gorgeous angels.

angelcraze2
04-13-2016, 05:15 PM
Thanks Boundava! I still want to reduce the amount of angels in the tank though, but the third territory might be for the xtra female of both pairs want to breed at the same time. I really think the problem lies with those two male platinums fighting over the same platinum female. Moving a make out might help things even, so there are only two males.

Anyway, for now, things are a bit shook up a bit right now and there's a whole lot of fighting going on for territory. To be expected. We'll see how this pans out for more. I want to get pvc pipe for spawning sites too, since they turned their noses up to my swords. Actually, I saw some females checking then out last night. Maybe I'll give them a root tab each ad well, help those heavy root feeders grow tall.

Boundava
04-13-2016, 05:19 PM
I think that moving a male might be a good idea, makes sense at least. Root tabs always helped my swords-like you said they are very heavy root feeders. If they don't work out-I hope the PVC will.

angelcraze2
04-14-2016, 09:33 PM
Yep, thanks. I'll probably have to add more light on the ends of the aquarium too if I want those swords to grow taller. My fixtures are only 48" and they sit in the center of the 60" aquarium. I'm thinking some DIY LED lights, I use those Philips 10.5w LEDs to grow plants in other tanks, and they work! They screw into a regular light socket (e26)