PDA

View Full Version : Help! My angel is dying

angelcraze2
04-07-2016, 10:42 PM
I went to my tank as usual just as the lights come on, and I saw my beautiful blue female angelfish lying at the bottom on her side anchored with plants, breathing slowly! I've been keeping my eye on her because it looked like she was developing? (Not sure if this is the right word) an ovarian prolapse.

On the advice of angelfish breeders, I was in the process of setting up a tank for her, then move in a docile male angelfish and try to get her to lay her eggs.

But I don't want to do this anymore, it looks so bad now and she doesn't seem to be able to keep her equilibrium while swimming. She drifts into a spot she doesn't have to put much effort into saying there, wedging herself against the glass and in plants. She has lost all her color :(

Does this sound/look like a prolaspe? I know there's nothing I can do about it if it is, (I've been told) I just don't know if I should still try something or consider humane euthanasia? I love her. She was so gorgeous. So sad.

She is in a brine shrimp net at the moment to see if she recovers any.

Any help is appreciated!

Spardas
04-07-2016, 11:06 PM
Is this the same one where you posted a thread back in January?

Has she been eating and passing? What tank do you have available to put her in?

Slaphppy7
04-07-2016, 11:06 PM
Very sorry to see this, and I hope someone chimes in with the knowledge and help you need.

Rocksor
04-07-2016, 11:10 PM
anal prolapse? I've seen this happen in large cichlids. An epsom salt bath for 30 minutes might help.

angelcraze2
04-07-2016, 11:16 PM
Ok, I have the option to move out my female ram from my 10g bowfront (16" high) and swap her for the sick angelfish and try treating with Epsom Salts (magnesium sulfate). I was planning on moving the ram into my 120g anyway, just not quite today, but I'll do what I have to, if my angelfish has a chance.

If she's dying and suffering, I'd rather not put her through trying to recover in a new tank if she is not strong enough. This loss of buoyancy literally happened overnight.....she was swimming with no problems, pooping and eating yesterday. Although, she might have been hanging a bit more at the top of the aquarium....well, that was yesterday, she seemed healthy enough.....

angelcraze2
04-07-2016, 11:20 PM
Is this the same one where you posted a thread back in January?

Has she been eating and passing? What tank do you have available to put her in?

Yes!

She's been eating and passing, no change until today and the slight 'looking more bulgy' here and there. Color seemed a bit off more than usual, but nothing else that I noticed and I didn't think it was that bad! Now I'm sad :(

angelcraze2
04-07-2016, 11:21 PM
Very sorry to see this, and I hope someone chimes in with the knowledge and help you need.

Thanks Slap!

Slaphppy7
04-07-2016, 11:23 PM
Very welcome, you're in good hands with Rock and Spardas.

Pariss
04-07-2016, 11:24 PM
Good luck with your fish :( I hope you come to a resolution soon

angelcraze2
04-07-2016, 11:26 PM
anal prolapse? I've seen this happen in large cichlids. An epsom salt bath for 30 minutes might help.

It's not an anal prolaspe. Ovarian. It happened after she laid eggs once. I moved her from my 120g to a 33g when I saw her drop her tube. I added a random male angelfish and they spawned in a day or so, but her tube seemed to stay protruding. Today it looks like somethings falling out!

Should I do the tank swap and add Epsom Salts, or try the bath thing?

Spardas
04-07-2016, 11:27 PM
Aside from the epsom bath, you have kanamycin handy or some other type of antibiotic? I'd treat with antibiotics as well to prevent bacteria proliferation if there is a blockage in there.

angelcraze2
04-07-2016, 11:27 PM
Good luck with your fish :( I hope you come to a resolution soon

Thanks Pariss, things just happen out of nowhere!

angelcraze2
04-07-2016, 11:30 PM
Aside from the epsom bath, you have kanamycin handy or some other type of antibiotic? I'd treat with antibiotics as well to prevent bacteria proliferation if there is a blockage in there.

Yes, I have kanamycin. I'm just unsure if I should move her or treat the whole 120g. I think it would make more sense to move her and treat her in a smaller tank, the parameters are close....
What do you think?

angelcraze2
04-07-2016, 11:36 PM
Idk, I just went to check on her. She looks so bad. That redness is NOT normal.

So, Epsom Salts bath? In a small tank with her tank water and an airstone?

I apologize, I am freaking out a bit here.

angelcraze2
04-07-2016, 11:48 PM
I think she's dying now :( I've never seen this before. She is not breathing, but twitching here and there....is she dead?

Spardas
04-07-2016, 11:52 PM
We have to move fast now.

Remove her to the tank, epsom salt bath @ 1 tablespoon/gallons. Prepare another solution at half strength (1 tablespoon/2 gallons) and remove her if she is extremely stressed or pass out during the bath. Prepare another solution @ 1 tablespoon/10 gallons. No need to fill the tank up all the way, just enough to keep her submerged if she goes upright.

Once bath is over, transition her to the diluted solution before moving her back to the the 1 tablespoon/10 gallons solution with kanamycin.

AmazonJoe
04-08-2016, 12:12 AM
Good luck sorry for your troubles! :(

angelcraze2
04-08-2016, 12:23 AM
I put her in a container to do a bath anyway, but I really think she's dead :( The slight fin twitching must just be nerves. No gill movement at all :(

I think the pic will be a sideways pic.

Anyway, thanks to EVERYONE offering such prompt encouragement and advice.

RIP young girl.....I'll try to find a pic of better days.

Silbar
04-08-2016, 12:23 AM
I an so sorry about your angel. I know you are busy doing the baths but I hope she will be OK. Thanks Spardas and Rock for being so prompt to assist.

Silbar
04-08-2016, 12:25 AM
Just saw the last post...I am so sorry.

Fish & Bird Kid
04-08-2016, 12:28 AM
I've been following along.
I'm very sorry.

Spardas
04-08-2016, 12:37 AM
I'm sorry to hear that. RIP.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Slaphppy7
04-08-2016, 12:49 AM
Sorry for your loss, they're never easy.

At least, she suffers no more, whatever it was.

RiversGirl
04-08-2016, 01:57 AM
I am so sorry for your loss.

DebinWhitmore
04-08-2016, 03:20 AM
Sorry to hear about your beautiful Angel.

Boundava
04-08-2016, 06:25 PM
I am just saw this thread and am so sorry that both of you had to go though this and that she passed last night. Poor baby :innocent:

angelcraze2
04-10-2016, 05:03 AM
Thanks to everyone at the AC for their condolences. I know it's just a fish to everyone else, but it's comforting to know others feel the same as I do about our aquatic pets. I really do get attached. It took me a couple days to go back to the thread. But thanks everyone, the advise was so quick, and the care and wishes from this community make this one one of the best forums I've found. Thanks all!

I'm still gonna look for an honour pic :)

Jane Doe
04-10-2016, 06:38 AM
Im so sorry for your loss.

angelcraze2
04-11-2016, 07:28 PM
Im so sorry for your loss.

Thanks so much :)

I can't believe I never even got a good pic of her. I didn't have her that long actually, since August of 2015. She's been having problems with her ovipositor possibly since I bought her from a local aquarist who was dismantling his tank.

I found only two poor quality pics of her when she was still glowing with blue, as you can see, she was always bluer than the other Philippine blues. I really wish I got spawn from her, so I knew which genes caused such a vibrant blue. I can only guess she was pure blue with no gold genes.

Although I will never know exactly why she was so blue, I enjoyed keeping her in my showtank and she was well-loved. I know she lived a good life prior to when it ended.