PDA

View Full Version : Bullies

Dixie
11-25-2007, 06:46 AM
In my 55 g. I have 3 Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos. I don't know if they are male or female or both. They are all about 2 " long (give or take). I noticed one was staying in a corner and then up under the filters overflow because another of the same fish was chasing it. It's tail and back fin look a little tattered so I took it out and put it another small tank. Now that bully that was chasing the one I took out is chasing the other one of the 3. Not as badly as the first one but deffinately keeps it on one 1/2 of the tank.

In that tank I also have 3 Labidochromis caeruleus. The biggest one is about 2'' and the other two a little smaller. The biggest one of those is also turning into a bully. I thought they were suppose to be a very peaceful fish. It doesn't just nip at it's own kind but at others in the tank as well...except for the melanochromis bully.

Is there anything I can do about this?

~Erik3.8.07~
11-26-2007, 08:14 PM
malawi cichlids are territorial, and like to use rocks as territory markers, so maybe you could put more in and create more boundries for them

Dixie
11-29-2007, 08:39 AM
I think they have plenty of caves etc. Maybe get more of the same fish or get rid of all but one of each kind. That's what I'm thinking about doing in the long run. Going with an all male tank. For now I think 3 of a kind was a wrong move though.

~Erik3.8.07~
11-29-2007, 08:53 PM
3 males would definitely most likely cause aggression, if u want trios its better to do 1 male and 2 females

sergo
12-06-2007, 11:30 PM
if your going to do an all male tank get species that are not colored the same. same species males will eventually kill off the weaker ones.

OscarFan
12-07-2007, 12:52 AM
I got a couple common cichlids and one was being dominant.So I got an Oscar and that sure straightened her out.First time it tryed being dominat to the Oscar It got chased all around the tank.

Dixie
12-09-2007, 09:05 PM
LOL I bet that oscar did straighten her out. Thanks for the suggestions. I did add some more caves when I put the picked on m.cy.habdos back in the big tank. It's still picked on some but not as bad. Feeding them 3 times a day again has helped too.

~Erik3.8.07~
12-10-2007, 09:12 PM
LOL I bet that oscar did straighten her out. Thanks for the suggestions. I did add some more caves when I put the picked on m.cy.habdos back in the big tank. It's still picked on some but not as bad. Feeding them 3 times a day again has helped too.

make sure if your feeding that often that their light feeds, dont want excess food building up and causing problems

Dixie
12-17-2007, 04:49 AM
yep they are light feeds(around 1 minute). Even though I've always used NLS sinking pellets, they have started coming to the top to feed like it's flake food. This is cool though, I can really keep an eye on how much if any is sinking to the bottom. Since most of my fish are in groups of 3's, I wish there was some way I could tell if they are male or female. There is no drastic color difference to go by and I've never had any holding.