PDA

View Full Version : How do i plant bulbs?

Wilred the shrimp
03-31-2016, 04:25 AM
I don't really know how. Some people say float it until they start growing or bury it halfway in the gravel and wait. I got mine as the three bulbs in one pack from petco that says i can return it in 30 days if it proves bad. Help?

mommy1
03-31-2016, 11:21 AM
I just dropped mine in the tank and let them fall where ever. If they float they are no good.

Boundava
03-31-2016, 12:02 PM
Drop them and let them grow a bit-sometimes its hard to tell the root end and if you bury it too early it may not grow. If you have plecos in the tank-they may try to eat the bulbs...I had 5 bulbs that I had to move to a different tank because the plecos kept rasping them every time they started growing (I am assuming it was the plecos since nothing else in the tank rasps like that). Now that they are in another tank 3 of the 5 are finally growing roots an leaves-the other 2 are goners, but you have to expect a loss with bulbs-which is why I bought more since I wanted 3 plants anyway.

Wilred the shrimp
03-31-2016, 10:07 PM
Drop them and let them grow a bit-sometimes its hard to tell the root end and if you bury it too early it may not grow. If you have plecos in the tank-they may try to eat the bulbs...I had 5 bulbs that I had to move to a different tank because the plecos kept rasping them every time they started growing (I am assuming it was the plecos since nothing else in the tank rasps like that). Now that they are in another tank 3 of the 5 are finally growing roots an leaves-the other 2 are goners, but you have to expect a loss with bulbs-which is why I bought more since I wanted 3 plants anyway.

They are growing in their separate containers (but one is with my betta). So i don't have to bury them until they start growing obvious root strands? I just plop them in?

Slaphppy7
04-01-2016, 01:30 AM
I just plop them in?

Yes, after a good rinse and dry with tap water.

Silbar
04-01-2016, 03:45 AM
Yes, after a good rinse and dry with tap water.

How does one "dry with tap water"? :14:

Slaphppy7
04-01-2016, 04:50 AM
The tap water has to be very, very hard.

J/K

Rinse well in tap water, then pat dry with clean paper towels.

Better?

Boundava
04-01-2016, 12:05 PM
LOL-she got you. :rolling:

Slaphppy7
04-01-2016, 03:48 PM
It happens.....rarely....but it happens.

Boundava
04-01-2016, 04:05 PM
slow day here today...I am actually having to work. Thankfully I have lots of hours even with leaving early for the failed dentist appointment yesterday, I am blowing this Popsicle stand (work not AC) at 12:30 today!

Slaphppy7
04-01-2016, 04:25 PM
I'm sitting here twiddling my thumbs waiting for the contractor to show up...

Boundava
04-01-2016, 04:32 PM
Oh that's right, boo to him for not being prompt! Hope its a quick and low cost fix for you!

Slaphppy7
04-01-2016, 04:36 PM
Thanks, Nat...trying to stay positive about the whole thing

Joys of home ownership, it's always something

Boundava
04-01-2016, 04:43 PM
I know, we are trying to get ours up to put on the market and the list is just further depressing my Father...you know did you check to see if this is covered under your homeowners insurance?

Slaphppy7
04-01-2016, 04:57 PM
No, didn't check out the insurance, but the deductible is probably more than this will cost

Boundava
04-01-2016, 05:41 PM
ouch-yeah ours is up there too.

Slaphppy7
04-01-2016, 05:58 PM
Just called my insurance guy, my deduct is $900

Wilred the shrimp
04-02-2016, 05:52 AM
lol how did, "how to plant bulbs" turn into this? Anyhow, thanks for all the help! I am trying very hard to raise them, and once they are grown, i will try even harder to not murder them. (i don't exactly have a green thumb... Everything i grow dies, except for cactus cuttings.)

SueD
04-02-2016, 03:54 PM
lol how did, "how to plant bulbs" turn into this? Anyhow, thanks for all the help! I am trying very hard to raise them, and once they are grown, i will try even harder to not murder them. (i don't exactly have a green thumb... Everything i grow dies, except for cactus cuttings.)

Oh, you have a lot more reading to do if you're asking that question! lol. Take a look, particularly at some of the current journal threads and you see the art of diversion in practice almost everywhere. No way of telling where a topic will go. But things usually circle back around...eventually.

Slaphppy7
04-02-2016, 04:31 PM
+1 to the above, sorry to hijack your thread...get us some pics of your bulb plantings when you can.

RiversGirl
04-02-2016, 05:01 PM
the art of diversion

Ah, the art of diversion. This shall be my mantra, today. Thanks, Sue!

To the OP: I've learned from your thread. Glad you started it up! Best of luck with your bulbs, and I'll look forward to photos.

Wilred the shrimp
04-02-2016, 09:50 PM
+1 to the above, sorry to hijack your thread...get us some pics of your bulb plantings when you can.

No problem! I have a tendency to always go off topic so i understand lol. I will post pics of my bulb plantings once they actually start growing.