PDA

View Full Version : Who to boot RCS or ghostie?

Wilred the shrimp
03-31-2016, 02:18 AM
The situation is that i have four female (newly identified) RCS in a breeding net after my five gallon tank shut down. I decided they would stay in my twenty gallon tank forever. However, i have a ghost shrimp in it and he might attack! Should i leave the shrimp in the breeding net and keep everything the same, should i boot the ghostie, should i boot the RCS, and if i do boot a shrimp species what should i do with them without killing them? All help, opinions, bumps, and suggestions are very welcome! Thanks to anyone who will reply!

Wilred the shrimp
03-31-2016, 04:09 AM
can i bump myself? lol

Shidohari
03-31-2016, 07:20 AM
Yes you may bump yourself. If it's just ONE ghost shrimp that you have, see if you can donate it to a LFS for resale. Some of them may take him off your hands for free.

Other than that, if you have a small tank you can move the ghostie too that may be another option.

good luck.

SueD
03-31-2016, 03:18 PM
Decide which you want more and as shidohari said, donate the other to the LFS.

Slaphppy7
03-31-2016, 03:25 PM
There are MANY different shrimp that people identify as "ghost" (or glass or grass) shrimp....some are aggressive, some are not.

At any rate, I'd donate him, or release him in a pond, and keep the RCS

Wilred the shrimp
03-31-2016, 10:09 PM
Thx guys! however, i just was gifted a one gallon bowl yesterday, so should i just move the RCS there? I kind of want them to breed (ill be getting a male soon), and i wanna see their cute little babies! However, the average temp at my home is 72 Farenheit. is that okay for breeding temps for the RCS?

Strider199
03-31-2016, 10:45 PM
I would use the bowl for the ghost shrimp as breeding isnt likely with that species especially since you only have 1. The RCS will breed in an aquarium given the proper parameters. One ghost shrimp vs a colony of red cherry shrimp......... Your pick of course.

Wilred the shrimp
04-01-2016, 12:40 AM
I would use the bowl for the ghost shrimp as breeding isnt likely with that species especially since you only have 1. The RCS will breed in an aquarium given the proper parameters. One ghost shrimp vs a colony of red cherry shrimp......... Your pick of course.

I know but as the guppies will eat all the baby shrimp, they might have to stay in their breeding net. So now the question has changed, should i keep my RCS in the breeding net in the tank to breed, or should i breed it in a bowl?

Strider199
04-01-2016, 01:02 AM
I don't know what plants you have in the tank but if you have some java moss for the RCS to hide in the guppy's will have a hard time finding the baby shrimp. My son has a 40 gallon community tank with RCS as well as tetras, a large Red Tailed Shark, two plecos and a few guppies and the shrimp are thriving. Java moss with a few other hiding places will make a lot of difference.