PDA

View Full Version : Freshwater plant suggestions

Wilred the shrimp
03-28-2016, 05:02 AM
Okay, granted that ive only had two plants, (elodea and marimo balls), i think i may not be too bad at plant keeping (however, i feel that killing my elodea is a really noob mistake)

ANYWAYS, I am going to try breeding RCS in my five gallon (sry that i can't get a bigger tank). I heard they are happier and breed better with live plants to feed on and hide in. I really want to try Java moss (it looks fun and cool, and it apparently is hard to kill), but i heard they don't do so well in higher temperatures. My RCS will be breeding at from 76-80 Fahrenheit. Also, i don't have a tank light, and don't know how to manage it, and feel that i would probably forget a bunch to turn it on and off, and i don't want to "waste" electricity (im not sure if that is considered wasting, but im trying not to use too much (the reason why im trying to finish up on my computer). I have problems, i admit it, i want to and love the idea of taking care of plants, but i can't find the right one, will probably kill it, and im not willing to finance a bunch to get it. Plus honesty, i don't want to go through the trouble of installing a light in my tank. Yup, im messed up and lazy.

However, i would really appreciate any help (if you will give it to me) or tips on the right plant. I really need something fast growing, easily propagated, and easy to care for. (and it will meet the conditions of my tank).

IF JAVA MOSS IS OKAY FOR MY TANK, PLEASE LET ME KNOW! i am really bad with plants and i don't want to mess it up again with my shrimp.

I also forgot to mention that my room has some natural light (but i keep the shutters closed). Even with the shutters closed it is mildly bright in there.

crf8
03-28-2016, 01:00 PM
FYI - my Java Moss balls decline in health when they roll around in the tank to a place where they don't get good lighting.

Wilred the shrimp
03-28-2016, 05:27 PM
FYI - my Java Moss balls decline in health when they roll around in the tank to a place where they don't get good lighting.

what if they are anchored to a good spot?

Slaphppy7
03-28-2016, 05:35 PM
Java moss and marimo balls are two different types of plant; java moss or java fern are both easy to grow beginner plants...with the java moss, just tie it off to a rock or DW

Boundava
03-28-2016, 07:36 PM
Most mosses prefer lower temperatures-however I had x-mas and flame moss in my shrimp tanks and it had no problems taking over in higher temperatures. Just a word of warning-mosses can and will grow everywhere if given a chance. Tie it down and do some regular maintenance to prevent it from taking control of your tank, I wan't on the ball with my mosses and they quickly went to overgrown and I just pulled them out of the tanks as I wan't up for the "forever sloppy" look. I go for naturally overgrown with my plants-but you don't gets plant strands everywhere like you do with moss strands.

Pariss
03-28-2016, 09:45 PM
He could have plants (other than marimo) with no light on his tank?

Boundava
03-28-2016, 10:17 PM
Depends on where his tank is...does it get natural light...he may be an to get away with a javafern, if the tank has a source 9f natural light.

Boundava
03-29-2016, 12:26 PM
Depends on where his tank is...does it get natural light...he may be an to get away with a javafern, if the tank has a source 9f natural light.

^^^^and this is why I hate my phone's keyboard!

So...:doh:

Depends on where the his tank is...does it get natural light...he may be able to get away with a javafern, if the tank has a source of natural light.

Wilred the shrimp
03-29-2016, 09:15 PM
^^^^and this is why I hate my phone's keyboard!

So...:doh:

Depends on where the his tank is...does it get natural light...he may be able to get away with a javafern, if the tank has a source of natural light.

Yes i have three windows in my room (but i keep them shuttered cuz random strangers look inside. however, there is still light shining through, enough to see everything in my room. lol i guess my shutters are bad.)