View Full Version : Hello E1 and I really need help

08-04-2006, 03:28 PM
Hello ! My daughter and I bought a goldfish and found out later that it was a lionhead. We thought it was the neatest fish they had no one at the store told us anything about it. Anyway, Frank the Lionhead, started out in just a regular bowl boy did I find out real quick that was bad, so I moved him to a one gallon aquarium. Well now he eats like three times a day and he dirties up his tank every day. I don't mind it's just I am worried he is going to die with all the water changing I have to do. I had to change his water yesterday and today. (btw I only change 1/3 of the water at changing time not the whole tank.) So I realize now he will have to be in a 10 gallon tank. But I am in the process of moving so I can't get him in one for another few weeks. And here's the problem. This morning Frank was on his belly on the rocks. He was not breathing like he normally does. BUT when I went near the tank he would swim up and side to side by my face. Can anyone tell me is there anything wrong with him and what can I do?? I love Frank and I don't want to lose him. Thanks,
Katherine :(

08-04-2006, 08:38 PM
Hard to say for sure. Do you have any idea about the water parameters in your tank, especially ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels?

08-04-2006, 10:41 PM
No I don't know anything about the water. I could take it to the shop and have it tested. There was this line of snot or white slime that stretched from the top of the fake plant to the rocks. I fished it out with a net. See I changed his water today and already just now it looks foggy again. Now the strange thing is I have a betta that we keep in a separate aquarium with the same water and same treatment solution and he is thriving. The betta's water doesn't get real dirty or slimy like Frank's water. Thanks for the reply .. I hope you can help further?

08-05-2006, 01:49 AM
i would say he losing his slim coat. you should be putting stress coat in each water change you do

08-05-2006, 03:48 AM
I had completely forgotten about that. I was under the impression the water treatment I was using was also stress coat for the fish cause the lady at the store just told me to use that with my water changes. She never mentioned stress coat but I had fish years ago and I always used stress coat on them. I will check out the bottle I have been using and see what it is for specifically. I have bad news anyway.... He didn't make it. I went to the grocery store and found him tucked between the fake plant and glass wall not breathing. I moved the plant and he floated to the top. I am very upset. I am trying to make this a learning experience. I really liked Frank and my daughter wants to bury him in the backyard. So guess where I am spending my Saturday morning? I am just mad that I didn't catch on to what was wrong and that I didn't fix it. Anyway thanks for your help It will definitely help me in the future.

08-07-2006, 12:42 AM
hmm wow thats too bad.

you could have possibly used too much water treatment with each change.

08-07-2006, 12:53 AM
I thought about that this afternoon. I think that might be what happened. That and a combination of overfeeding. See the food said 2-3 times a day and we were feeding him three times a day. But I think we might have been giving him a little too much each time. And my daughter did some of the feedings and she is only 8 so she may have overfed him as well. Anyway.. Thanks!

08-07-2006, 01:00 AM
personally i just use hose water and my fish are fine