PDA

View Full Version : favorite food for shrimp?

Silbar
03-16-2016, 10:12 PM
What do your shrimp and snails love to eat? I was also looking at all of the EBI shrimp foods , do you have a favorite or should I get a sampler?

Silbar
03-16-2016, 11:17 PM
I went ahead and ordered some EBI Crispz and a sampler from triton. I'm excited to start my shrimp journey!

Pariss
03-17-2016, 12:47 AM
I know it won't be of much help, but my ghost shrimp is the first to get ANYthing lol. Within seconds of me dropping in food for my cories, he's all over it. The only thing I might add is taht since I have cories only atm, all my food sinks(or is squeezed until it sinks) , so I don't know how fast if at all they get floating foods.

Slaphppy7
03-17-2016, 01:22 AM
I went ahead and ordered some EBI Crispz and a sampler from triton. I'm excited to start my shrimp journey!

That sampler pack will feed your shrimp for a nice long while, I'm more than pleased with mine

DebinWhitmore
03-17-2016, 04:03 AM
That sampler pack will feed your shrimp for a nice long while, I'm more than pleased with mine

Do your other fish eat this too? What does it look like? A flake, pellet, wafer? I can't be sure my shrimp get any food because I never see them come out let alone eat food. That's in the PK. In the 10g Endler farm I see the blue shrimp out all the time, but the other inhabitants are fry so they have nothing to fear. I feed the fry flakes mostly but I put in pieces of different kinds of pellets hopefully for the shrimp or snails but I seldom ever see shrimp eating it. I does disappear overnight so I'm guessing they are getting it. When the PK gets frozen food I always give some to the fry too. They love the BB shrimp and I have to cut the bloodworms up for them but they like those too. I'm sure that the shrimp eat the bits that get stuck in the plants or behind stuff that the fish can't get to.

Slaphppy7
03-17-2016, 04:27 AM
Do your other fish eat this too? What does it look like? A flake, pellet, wafer?

My snails are a bigger threat than the fish to steal from the shrimp, but the fish go nuts over the stuff, too

Here's the 8 bags I got with my sampler pack, and what is left from each...I haven't used much of the powdered ones, but the pellets/sticks are devoured in all of my tanks, by fish, shrimp, and snails

Boundava
03-17-2016, 12:29 PM
If you are getting EBI try the Tantora mulberry and amaranth leaves-my shrimp devour it in a day. I don't pre boil it either, just drop it in and they swarm over it.

http://tritonfreshwateraquatics.com/shrimp-products/woods-leaves-natural-products/

My shrimp love the EBI cripz, veggie pads and regular mix-heck my nano fish love it too. I supplement with cauliflower, zucchini, yellow squash and they recently got some cantaloupe (which they loved). They have had watermelon in the past too, along with kale (not so much of a fan with them) and spinach (:thumbsup:). The food goes a long way.

DebinWhitmore
03-17-2016, 01:36 PM
My snails are a bigger threat than the fish to steal from the shrimp, but the fish go nuts over the stuff, too

Here's the 8 bags I got with my sampler pack, and what is left from each...I haven't used much of the powdered ones, but the pellets/sticks are devoured in all of my tanks, by fish, shrimp, and snails

Thanks for the details! Typically how much would you give them at once? Do you put it where you see the shrimp hang out?

Slaphppy7
03-17-2016, 03:26 PM
Depends on the tank size, and the size of the pellets...the 5G gets much less than the 40B, obviously

I just break up into small pieces and scatter, sort of like algae wafers...the shrimp find it, no problem

Silbar
03-17-2016, 03:32 PM
If you are getting EBI try the Tantora mulberry and amaranth leaves-my shrimp devour it in a day. I don't pre boil it either, just drop it in and they swarm over it.

http://tritonfreshwateraquatics.com/shrimp-products/woods-leaves-natural-products/

My shrimp love the EBI cripz, veggie pads and regular mix-heck my nano fish love it too. I supplement with cauliflower, zucchini, yellow squash and they recently got some cantaloupe (which they loved). They have had watermelon in the past too, along with kale (not so much of a fan with them) and spinach (:thumbsup:). The food goes a long way.
Thanks Nat, I already placed my order but I will try the leaves next time.