PDA

View Full Version : Shrimp from TWS?

Silbar
03-15-2016, 10:52 PM
Has anyone ever ordered shrimp, either RCS or Blue Dream, from TWS before? I have ordered fish from them several times and was wondering about the quality of their shrimp. Thanks.

labagility
03-15-2016, 10:56 PM
I am hoping to place an order that includes RCS next week....

This is an amazingly timely post for me!

Slaphppy7
03-15-2016, 11:34 PM
Hi Silvia,

Gonna PM you in a minute, stand by

Generally, you can get great deals on aquabid.com, better than I've seen with most other sites, for shrimp...you don't want to pay too much for RCS, they're very common, and there are breeders out there with great stock

BUT...when you order from a vendor, check to see how the shrimp were bred, and if the vendor sells true "red" cherry shrimp, or ones that have may just be "culls" over time, and may not be as brilliantly colored as chosen specimens for the coloring.

Same is true for all of the Neocaridina shrimp...I have reds, blues, and yellows, but the colring can fade as the shrimp breed over and over within a set gene pool.

You'll pay a bit more for the more brilliantly colored Neos, because it takes time to selectively breed

"Culls", you will (should) pay less $ for those.

Silbar
03-15-2016, 11:35 PM
I just PMd you:22:

labagility
03-16-2016, 11:06 PM
Do you have a recommendation of someone on Aquabid that sells quality shrimp?

It sounds like TWS may be best avoided for shrimp - or am I reading into this?

Also, while on the subject... what price would be acceptable for somebody getting "culls?"

TWS RCS shrimp are $4 each....

Silbar
03-16-2016, 11:09 PM
I am not speaking from experience but I have heard that some here have ordered from HansandPatty on aquabid.

Slaphppy7
03-17-2016, 01:20 AM
I am not speaking from experience but I have heard that some here have ordered from HansandPatty on aquabid.

They are good vendors, IME

I've only ordered shrimp from them once, but I had complete satisfaction with my order.

They responded to my email inquiries very promptly, and provided excellent stock.

Boundava
03-17-2016, 12:40 PM
TWS sells on aquabid too, I have ordered amano shrimp from them and shrimp from HansandPatty as well.

Slaphppy7
03-17-2016, 03:51 PM
These guys have a good rep, too

http://www.theshrimpfarm.com/

Boundava
03-17-2016, 06:58 PM
Never ordered from them...looking to add to the orange and blues gene pool soon. Sister has some friends that like my white/blue pearl shrimp and once I get their numbers way-way down I will add some blue deams-or velvets. They are so $$$ :yipe:

Would add yellows-but no way we can get rid of all the pearls in the 20L (the blue pearls reverted back to white; the shrimp I was sold wasn't solid line I guess).

DebinWhitmore
05-09-2016, 03:09 AM
Never ordered from them...looking to add to the orange and blues gene pool soon. Sister has some friends that like my white/blue pearl shrimp and once I get their numbers way-way down I will add some blue deams-or velvets. They are so $$$ :yipe:

Would add yellows-but no way we can get rid of all the pearls in the 20L (the blue pearls reverted back to white; the shrimp I was sold wasn't solid line I guess).

Bumping an old post, Boundava, where did you find the graphic if you remember?

RiversGirl
05-09-2016, 01:16 PM
Bumping an old post, Boundava, where did you find the graphic if you remember?

I'd like to know as well. It is a terrific graphic.

Boundava
05-09-2016, 01:30 PM
Here is a direct link to it...

http://wiki.goodplace.eu/images/3/37/Neocaridina_family_tree.jpg

Great lineage chart for shrimp.

RiversGirl
05-09-2016, 01:36 PM
Here is a direct link to it...

http://wiki.goodplace.eu/images/3/37/Neocaridina_family_tree.jpg

Great lineage chart for shrimp.

Thank you very much!

Boundava