PDA

View Full Version : What's going on with my dward Anubias?

mermaidwannabe
02-29-2016, 07:49 PM
Recently, new leaves unfurling are yellow or brown, while the rest of the plant remains a nice green. Only new leaves are affected.

The rhizomes are above the substrate, with only the roots in the gravel. I've had these plants for a long time, and only recently have new leaves not greened up shortly after opening.

This is in my 20-gallon tall.

Tank parameters: Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate between 0 and 5 ppm, pH 7.4-7.6. I've run out of root tabs with iron, but never had a problem with yellowing leaves prior to using root tabs. Seems iron deficiency isn't the problem.

On one of these plants, part of the rhizome itself was brown. I cut that part off. On the second plant, the whole rhizome is still green, but the new leaf is yellow and only slightly greened around the outer edges, then stopped greening.

Any ideas what's happening, here? No drooping, no wilting -- everything else seems normal.

I haven't changed the lighting in this tank, either, although I have gotten rid of most of the floating duckweed, so more light comes through.

BluewaterBoof
02-29-2016, 07:54 PM
Hmmmm... It could be due to the increased amount of light from the removal of the duckweed, but that's just a guess. I have an anubias nana that just unfurled a new leaf since I added a more powerful light, and it is noticeably more yellow than the older leaves.

Slaphppy7
02-29-2016, 08:27 PM
Nitrogen deficiency?

mermaidwannabe
02-29-2016, 11:36 PM
Judging from the illustration, there might be a potassium deficiency. None of the other leaves are affected, however. I do see the pinholes on this new leaf with the yellow edges. It says the leaf otherwise looks normal, but this one doesn't. The color on this one overall leaf is off. Yet, I see none of the other signs. If it were iron deficiency, the whole plant would be affected.

So, how would I go about adding potassium without messing up the tank's stability? And what would be the right amount of potassium? Would this affect my fish or shrimp?

mermaidwannabe
03-01-2016, 04:03 PM
Can anyone answer my question?

Boundava
03-01-2016, 04:17 PM
Is the new growth deformed? If not then it is a nitrogen deficiency which results in new growth being yellow-not deformed in shape.

Seachem sells both nitrogen and potassium-you can dose according to their directions. They also sell Flourish comprehensive which is a compilation of small amounts of some macro and micro nutrients for plants, as well as phosphorus-another macro nutrient, and iron which is good for plants as well. If you don't have any inverts in the tank they also sell a Flourish Trace that has trace minerals-including copper which may or may not impact the shrimp in this amount; but I don't risk it in my tanks with shrimp or snails.

Flourish Comprehensive on left...Flourish Trace (minerals/metals)

Rocksor
03-01-2016, 04:23 PM
http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/calculator.htm

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/11-fertilizers-water-parameters/12422-how-much-potassium-dose.html

mermaidwannabe
03-02-2016, 07:42 AM
No, the new leaves aren't deformed -- just yellowish, or light brown.

I think I know what the problem is. I had quit using Flourish Comprehensive in my tanks for awhile, and had also quit using root tabs, because nitrates were beginning to rise to a level I wasn't comfortable with. This lack of ferts may be responsible for the off colors, although from what I've read about Anubias, they shouldn't need extra ferts, anyway.

It could also be that since the 20 is so sparsely stocked, the plants aren't getting as many natural nutrients from fish waste as they once did when there were more fish. I also have shrimp in the tank, and various snails.

Now that the nitrates are back down to between 0 and 5 ppm, I'm going to start using the ferts again, in very conservative amounts. I'm also going to increase the school size of the White Clouds.

This could be all that's necessary to correct the problem.

Thanks for everyone's input.

--mermaid