PDA

View Full Version : Best method for moving shrimp to new tank

Wookster
02-23-2016, 08:44 PM
Anybody have suggestions for moving a colony of RCS from a 5.5g to a 10g once it's cycled? I'm afraid of using a net for fear they get caught up in it. Waiting until the babies are a decent size but not sure how to proceed.

Slaphppy7
02-23-2016, 09:30 PM
I would try to trap them, bait them with veggies or a good sinking pellet in a soda bottle or something similar...then net out the remaining shrimp, it won't hurt them

Boundava
02-23-2016, 09:55 PM
Take a soda bottle and cut the top 1/4-1/3 of it off and turn it into itself so the opening is now in the bottle. Just pop a delicious treat into the bottle and the majority of them should swarm into the bottle to feast, and not be able to figure out how to get back out. I would put it sideways and buried a bit so the end is flush with the substrate.

Works for snails and then I had ghost shrimp and silly dojo loaches get trapped. If you use a bottle like gatorade with some texture to it-it may "lock" itself and you can have trouble popping the top off. Something smooth like a coke or pepsi bottle, you can remove as much of the label as possible. When I do this I just rinse it out with some vinegar and then run warm-hot water over it till I can't smell vinegar anymore.