PDA

View Full Version : Slimy tubes...

KcEE
11-24-2007, 04:27 PM
Hello everyone...just wondering...You know that after some time, the tubes for input and output from the canister does get all slimy and stuff right. How do you guys clean that out?

Rue
11-24-2007, 04:34 PM
...hot water...bottle brushes...and pipe cleaners...

...and a wee bit of elbow grease...:hmm3grin2orange:

Lady Hobbs
11-24-2007, 04:50 PM
Sure would take one long bottle brush. LOL I haven't gotten to that problem yet but would probably put it in the tub and run some very hot water thru it under some pressure. I do use the brushes on the tubes to my HOTB filters, tho. Those get about nasty and that stuff stinks!

cocoa_pleco
11-24-2007, 04:57 PM
i dont clean my canister filters ever (personally dont believe in it) but one time i sold a canister filter and yep, you use hot water

jeffs99dime
11-24-2007, 04:59 PM
filter brushes, hot water. NO SOAP!!!:ezpi_wink1:

Lady Hobbs
11-24-2007, 05:02 PM
I've had my canister two months and twice have rinsed out the filter floss and dumped the dirty water out of it.

KcEE
11-25-2007, 02:30 AM
Yeah, all I did was flushed out the floss and threw out the dirty water too. Then I noticed the tubes. Eeeww...it's a rubber hose. Can I use hot water? Or is it ok to just leave it?

msjinkzd
11-25-2007, 01:38 PM
I bought extra lengths of tubing, about once a year I change out one tube for a new one, clean the old one with a bottle brush attached to a long string and put it aside till the next time. You would be amazed the amount of goo in the hoses and how much the flow is effected. I only change one at a time because I imagine it also houses a good bit of bacteria.

KcEE
11-25-2007, 03:08 PM
Alright then...thanks for the help everyone. Will try that the next time. Cheers!

zeon
11-25-2007, 08:20 PM
I bought extra lengths of tubing, about once a year I change out one tube for a new one, clean the old one with a bottle brush attached to a long string and put it aside till the next time. You would be amazed the amount of goo in the hoses and how much the flow is effected. I only change one at a time because I imagine it also houses a good bit of bacteria.

That is a great tip, thank you. I am planning on getting a canister for my larger tank some time soon. :)

msjinkzd
11-25-2007, 10:31 PM
my pleasure :)