PDA

View Full Version : Java Fern?

docdubz
01-20-2016, 02:58 PM
I havent been able to find any infomation on this but.. I received my java fern about a month and a half ago. It had little black/brown spots on one side of the leaves that I assumed were snail eggs. But I wasnt sure because the spots were all uniform in size and evenly and symmetrically spaced. So I just added it to see what happens. I cant take a picture right now but some of the spots seem to be turning into plantlets that look like a cross between a small java fern and C. parva. But some of the spots, have some other growth coming out of them.. At first I thought it was algae but never had the chance to wipe it away.. but now it kind of looks very plantlet like as well but very bushy/hairy looking and looks less like the other plantlets and more like a miniature version of Asparagus aethiopicus 'Sprengeri'.

Any idea what that is?

Slaphppy7
01-20-2016, 03:01 PM
That is java plantlets, it is how the plant reproduces.

Let them grow out, they'll make a tiny plant of leaves and roots....then you can break or cut them off and plant elsewhere, just keep the rhizome above the substrate.

Altima05r
01-20-2016, 03:35 PM
A couple weeks ago when I was in my LFS buying plants I noticed that they had pieces of Java fern on the bottom of the tank, I asked the employee who was helping me and he agreed to give me the remaining bits, at first it looked very menial, but I went ahead and tested this anyway and wrapped with cotton sewing thread the small pieces to a piece of driftwood in my tank. It is starting to actually carpet the driftwood, I really wasn't expecting the Java fern to even survive let alone start to grow. This stuff is really indestructible.

Slaphppy7
01-20-2016, 03:44 PM
Yes, java fern is the easiest plant to keep grow, IMO

Here's some images of the "plantlets" that you are seeing

https://www.google.com/search?q=java+fern+plantlets&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjPrdbI3bjKAhXosIMKHQasAJEQ_AUIBygB&biw=1280&bih=631

Boundava
01-20-2016, 03:50 PM
Yeah as many have stated that's one way it reproduces-they are "spores" and the babies grow from them and eventually fall off and "grow up" (growing up is so over-rated!). They can also produce buds (clones) on their roots.

RiversGirl
01-20-2016, 04:05 PM
Congrats on your healthy, growing Java Fern.

I keep intending to buy some of the regular JF variety.