PDA

View Full Version : i almost killed my pleco

LinaS
01-06-2016, 11:32 PM
Yep... i almost killed my pleco... i was checking bulbs in fixture and left lid open... so when i came back at home and was going to feed fish i saw him on floor (( poor fish... he was upside down and i actually thought that he is dead... then i saw his is breathing... i was too scared and asked husband for help... so he took him and put him back in tank... and in couple of hours i saw he started to move... he has some scratches on fins and i saw red spot on tail ((
it was 2 days ago... so far he looks almost like always... but swimming slowly and staying at same place for long time and i didnt see him eating yet... will try to check again...
hopefully he will feel better soon enough (((
he is almost 4 yo and 9 in long... but still growing...

please please dont make same mistake and keep lids closed!!

his photos few days ago

and this one from yesterday

RiversGirl
01-07-2016, 12:00 AM
He is very handsome. I hope he continues on his road to recovery. It sounds like you found him right away.

LinaS
01-07-2016, 12:06 AM
he spent at least 5-7 hours at floor ((( but he is big and strong so i hope he'll be fine......
my husband said he heard noise at 2-3 pm and i came back home at 9 pm (((

Slaphppy7
01-07-2016, 12:19 AM
Wow...what an ordeal...have you had him for 4 years, or is that an estimate of age?

We're lucky our catfish can breathe air for certain amounts of time and survive....

Hope he makes a full recovery for you

LinaS
01-07-2016, 12:27 AM
i bought him 4 years ago and he was 1in long... so i think he was like couple of months old ) i have 2 of them - 2nd a little bit smaller... i think ~8in and more dark brown
he was my 1st fish in US )))

Slaphppy7
01-07-2016, 12:41 AM
He's been through quite an ordeal, I think if it were me I'd darken the tank and minimize activity and light in the room the tank is in, as well

It would not hurt to increase flow in the tank, turn filters up and run a bubbler if you have one

Might help with gas exchange, and give him some O2 to absorb through the water, instead of his room, lol

LinaS
01-07-2016, 12:52 AM
after we put him back... actually i still dont know if it "he" or "she" )) i googled what to do after your fish fell out from tank... mostly people said they found just dry dead body ((
anyway... someone said - dont put it directly in tank - put him in QT tank, but wash fish before and make sure its breathing... i just thought... WHO??? will remember to do all that??? i just knew - put him back as fast as you can!! i was just so shocked (((

Slaphppy7
01-07-2016, 12:57 AM
I can't imagine, with a fish that size, and for how long you've had him, the panic that would have caused for me.

I'd have put him/her quickly back into the tank, just as you did...

I do hope he recovers quickly, with no long term issues related to this .

LinaS
01-07-2016, 01:04 AM
thank you )
i just realize that i love my pooping machine )))

DebinWhitmore
01-07-2016, 02:55 AM
Wow, that's is quite a story! I hope he is just fine and makes a full recovery.

LinaS
01-07-2016, 03:35 PM
i saw him yesterday he was eating green beans... i think its a good sign ))

Slaphppy7
01-07-2016, 03:43 PM
Good to hear this!....he'll hopefully be just fine

Kitterfly
01-07-2016, 04:07 PM
...How did he get out? I've never heard of a pleco "jumping" from its tank. I have an open tank myself and I keep it at least a couple of inches below the rim on the water level. That said, last thing I'd expect to escape is the pleco. Just hard to picture it. Glad he seems to be recovering, that's crazy.

LinaS
01-08-2016, 10:42 AM
...How did he get out?

well... tank's lid is not air tight, plus it had open hole - i removed light fixture - its like 70in long and ~3in wide (( sometimes i see how they are swimming to the surface to gulp some air - they will produce a lot of really big bubbles and make a huge splash... even floor is wet )) but he never jumped out before... thats why i was so upset... but it looks like he is much better now - started swimming around like before - i can see he often again :19:

Anders247
01-08-2016, 05:03 PM
Well wishes to your fish for a speedy recovery.

Plecos
01-10-2016, 05:35 PM
My Pleco is about 17 inches long now and over 9 years old. If you mess with him he will tear the tank apart fast! I bet he could jump out of his tank no problem. I don't even think I can remove him from the tank now with out a big fight. I don't look forward to the day I may have to do it he has a baseball size head and some good spikes to deal with.

LinaS
01-16-2016, 06:40 PM
ok... so far he is almost same condition )) fins are growing back pretty fast... i didnt think he recovers so fast... and now i am facing new problem... he decided to dig and every morning i can see few of plants are floating around )) he didnt do it before... and it is a 130g planted tank... was... ))
also now he is the only pleco in tank... his friend found new home and moved ) so for now he has company of angels, eb acaras and some shrimps (last time i saw 4 of them at once... so i have at least 4 of them... )

my 2 yo son just learning to talk so he cant say pleco yet ) so he named him "BigFishy" )) so its zucchini and BigFishy ))

Slaphppy7
01-16-2016, 07:14 PM
Well, I'm glad he's active and looking better, but sorry about the plants...maybe tie them down to buried rocks?

SueD
01-16-2016, 08:19 PM
My Pleco is about 17 inches long now and over 9 years old. If you mess with him he will tear the tank apart fast! I bet he could jump out of his tank no problem. I don't even think I can remove him from the tank now with out a big fight. I don't look forward to the day I may have to do it he has a baseball size head and some good spikes to deal with.

That's a really big one! My BNP's were pretty large for their species and they loved their bamboo caves, especially when ticked off. So when I was ready to rehome them, I just had to pick up the bamboo and stick it in the bucket of water. No fussing from them.

Boundava
01-16-2016, 08:30 PM
Sorry to read your pleco tried to make a break for it, glad you got to him in time and he is doing better. I was going to recommend you give him something like zucchini or sweet potato or green beans and see how he takes them. Hope he make a full recover if he hasn't already. Oh and I would NEVER rinse a fish prior to putting them back in the tank unless you are using tank water to rinse him-but to be realistic getting him/her in the tank would be the most important part so I would pass on the rise part.