PDA

View Full Version : Moving snail from warm to cold water

scruffy
11-23-2007, 07:20 PM
I have a bunch of those freebie snails that come with plants. I tolerate them because they're better than I am at cleaning algae off the ornaments and the silicon in the corners of my aquariums. Once in awhile I'll spot one that's attractive and large enough to live with my goldfish and Mr. Snailey in the cold water tank.

I'd like to know how to acclimate a snail to such a different environment. I am thinking maybe if I place it in half a bucket of the old water, letting it
cool and gradually adding some of the new aquarium water it would be OK, but I'd like to know if there is anything else I should do.

I am aware of the possibility that once Mr. Snailey finds love, I'll have snails all over that tank, but I think the gold fish will help their family planning.

S

msjinkzd
11-23-2007, 07:27 PM
If you are talking about pond snails, I wouldn't be too concerned with acclimitization. I routinely pick them out of my 82 degree tanks and drop them into vases full of java moss in my window sills (probably about 70 degrees) and they do not seem effected at all.

gm72
11-23-2007, 07:41 PM
Scruffy, very funny post, just in the wording. Goldfish as population control!

Good question, and as said, I don't think you have much to worry about acclimation. I would just do as you are planning and you'll be fine.

squirt_12
11-23-2007, 09:45 PM
i just take my snails and throw them into the other tank....they are pretty hardy so i wouldn't be to worried...if you are worried then you can do what you suggested.

scruffy
11-25-2007, 04:18 PM
Thanks to GM for an answer to another problem I have, getting java moss to grow to a usable amount. It keeps ending up in my buckets during water changes or stuck to my intake tube. I've started collecting the bits and pieces and putting them in a jar. Hopefully, I will be able to grow a sizeable enough chunk to try it in my tanks. Don't know about the rest of you, but I have not been able to find a shop in my area that sells the stuff.
S