PDA

View Full Version : What constitutes "normal" and "content" Angelfish behavior?

phyl0x
01-02-2016, 02:12 AM
So with most fish I have kept, I can usually pick off when they are stressed and when they are comfortable with their surroundings.

Angelfish, I've kept for about a month now. I still don't quite understand them. They are beautiful creatures, but that is part of the problem. I can't tell when they are stressed or when they are happy. Other fish tend to move back and forth across the tank sometimes when they are comfortable. Angelfish seem to be quick to come up to the tank whenever I get anywhere close to the them, they are always hungry for food it seems, and they do some chasing around, but I can't tell any more then that. Is it normal for them to just hang on one side of the tank sometimes? Is it not? I have two adult and two juvi angelfish.

AmazonJoe
01-02-2016, 04:35 AM
With all Cichlids they do become territorial so that's normal..and a hungry fish is a healthy fish.. IMO.

Jaster
01-02-2016, 04:27 PM
Honestly they're like most other fish. They will changes their colors some depending on mood. They might fade some if they're stressed, brighten when they're feeling frisky. They are territorial so you can see some grumpy if they get tired of another fish getting in their space too much. That's especially true with a pair that's looking to lay eggs. For that you'll see them cleaning of a leaf or something. (mine love the filter downtubes)

I had one angel, Beast, that hated anything in the tank (unless it was his lady) and that was an 80g... he would try to kill it. I've had others that seems to be depressed unless there were other fish in the tank. You'll see them hang in a corner, sit at the bottom,... as long as the colors are good, they're eating, pooping, and they're swimming around, they are normally doing pretty well.

If you see them faded a lot of the time, hiding, or just randomly drifting around (not using their fins for control) then you might be having an issue.

Now if you've added a new guy to the mix that can cause some issues for a little bit. New guy doesn't know the other angels boundaries yet (which seem to move on a regular basis as well). Once everyone gets use to each other again things should go back to normal.

Watch them for a little while and you'll pick up on the attitude changes pretty quick.

angelcraze2
01-06-2016, 09:32 PM
Just wanted to add-
Since your two fish are both marble, their black markings will not fade with mood. They will always be black. Only angelfish bars will fade with mood.

angelcraze2
01-06-2016, 09:45 PM
But yes, angelfish are notorious beggers for food. Especially young specimens, but all will dash up as soon as they see you to get food. They will look at you, wiggling up and down, back and forth, it cracks me up everytime. Be careful not to give in and overfeed. They only have to be fed once or twice a day for the adults, and three/four for the juvies.

What you have described seems normal. They chill a lot too. Just keep an eye out of one hides often, or if one is being picked on relentlessly and resorts to hiding.