PDA

View Full Version : which one would be happier????

squirt_12
11-23-2007, 04:18 PM
which one would be happier:

a fish all by itself in a tank that is supposed to be a schooling fish???

or

a fish in a group of atleast 3 or more that is a schooling fish??

Will the fish that is all by itself not live as long of a life as the fish with others of its own kind???

thanks.

gm72
11-23-2007, 04:22 PM
Schooling fish are schooling fish. Might cut the life expectancy as the fish solo wouldn't be happy at all.

tropfish
11-23-2007, 04:50 PM
the questions kind or rehtorical. Schooling fish school with other fish, hence their name. Some fish like to school when young and then as they grow want to be solitary. A good example is the pictus catfish.

cocoa_pleco
11-23-2007, 05:20 PM
a fish like a tetra by itself will be depressed. even though a school of 6 is recommended, to me thats too small. only are they fully happy when theres at least 20 in their school

squirt_12
11-23-2007, 05:27 PM
ok i just wanted some opinions because there is this person in another forum that thinks a fish of its own species is just nice and happy all byitself. I told them that it wouldn't be that you should have min. 3-6 and s/he was like 'well they are just as happy by themselves as being with others of their kind.'
i told him tha he was wrong but he still argues with me so i just stoped. lol.

gm72
11-23-2007, 06:27 PM
It truly depends on the species though. However, as already stated, a schooling fish is a schooling fish.

The member to whom you reference is absolutely wrong and clearly does not understand fish behavior and fish keeping.

squirt_12
11-23-2007, 06:29 PM
he said that a cory is fine all by themselves and that a neon is fine by itself too.

i just don't think he knows what he is talking about....and in his sig. he has like 8 fish tanks.

i just cant imagine what they look like. lol.

gm72
11-23-2007, 07:45 PM
Well I would be "fine" in total seclusion for the rest of my life but would NOT be very happy. Not all of our members, unfortunately, understand fish behavior or their requirements.

Corys demonstrate schooling behavior very well. A single cory is usually relatively inactive but put them in larger groups and they really come to life.

Lady Hobbs
11-23-2007, 08:00 PM
That's why they are called schooling fish. They like being in groups. Generally 6 or more. My black skirts are very happy, I know. I have 29 of them.

mitcore
11-23-2007, 08:15 PM
i agree a schooling fish is a schooling fish

i have a glass tetra he is supposed to be school and i have been told that they die if they are not but he is still going strong i have had him on his own for mths
strange!

gm72
11-23-2007, 08:18 PM
Surviving and thriving are two very different concepts. Survival can and is likely to occur in a very wide range of situations, but to thrive requires a far more finite set of parameters. Schoolers are schoolers.

squirt_12
11-23-2007, 09:32 PM
the ones in the schools are going to be more secure in groups and they can defend themselves better....being by itself they will be more fragile and they would get picked on more.

gm72
11-23-2007, 10:03 PM
Absolutely and completely agreed.

squirt_12
11-23-2007, 10:07 PM
Absolutely and completely agreed.
i told the guy that and he still argued with me.....he just doesn't understand....it is quite sad.