PDA

View Full Version : Albino bushynose died bloated

Altima05r
12-19-2015, 03:42 AM
So I came home after working nine stressful hours today, turn on the light in the room which I have my aquarium in, and see that my albino bushynose pleco is laying upside down on the bottom with his stomach bulging and dead. I noticed a few days ago that he had stopped eating and rasping on my driftwood, and even though I was putting cucumber slices in the tank which he always loved he did not touch them. About two weeks ago I quarantined and treated him for internal parasites after noticing the irregular bowel movements from him such as completely clear poop. After I treated him he seemed completely fine, so I'm wondering what could have happened. My water parameters are as they always are and have been since I set up the tank.44474

Today has been a crappy day in more ways than one now

-E

Slaphppy7
12-19-2015, 03:57 AM
Very sorry to hear of your loss.

Silbar
12-19-2015, 05:20 AM
I'm sorry you lost your pleco especially after a stressful day at work. The hardest part of this hobby are the losses

DoubleDutch
12-19-2015, 07:59 AM
Sorry to hear.

Altima05r
12-19-2015, 02:45 PM
It is certainly the worst part of the hobby, even worse is wondering if you could have prevented it. Thanks for the kind words everybody.

-E

Gar
12-19-2015, 02:52 PM
Sorry to hear man. Yeah the worst is wondering what if. At Least you tried to help him.

Altima05r
12-19-2015, 03:02 PM
Sorry to hear man. Yeah the worst is wondering what if. At Least you tried to help him.

I did, and at least I know that, helps to soften the blow a little bit. I was wondering If I could get some feedback from the community on what would be a good pleco to go with now.

water looks like this: carbonate hardness - 4, Phosphate - .025, ph - 6.4, Ammonia - 0, Nitrite - 0, Nitrate 7.5. Plants are growing like crazy. Injected c02, good lighting, good driftwood.

tank mates are friendly, two blue rams, striped raphael catfish, two otos, roundtail betta.

tell me what you guys think

-E

Slaphppy7
12-19-2015, 03:23 PM
ph is pretty low....have you tested your tap ph?...if not, let a sample sit out for 24 hours and test

Altima05r
12-19-2015, 03:47 PM
6.4 is perfect for my plants and German blue rams and my striped Raphael catfish. My betta does quite well too

AmazonJoe
12-19-2015, 04:42 PM
for your SA species that PH is ok if not favored. http://www.gunpowderaquatics.net/weekly-specials/fish-specials/butterfly-pleco-dekeyseria-sp-l052/

I was thinking of one of these Butterfly Pleco max size - about 5" PH-between 5.6-7 very ornate look to it

Sorry for your loss..not quite sure what happened definitely sounds like a intestinal problem best thing I could research and find is "Hexamita"
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/disease/hexamita.php

Altima05r
12-19-2015, 07:28 PM
for your SA species that PH is ok if not favored. http://www.gunpowderaquatics.net/weekly-specials/fish-specials/butterfly-pleco-dekeyseria-sp-l052/

I was thinking of one of these Butterfly Pleco max size - about 5" PH-between 5.6-7 very ornate look to it

Sorry for your loss..not quite sure what happened definitely sounds like a intestinal problem best thing I could research and find is "Hexamita"
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/disease/hexamita.php

Thanks for your condolences, I figured it was intestinal related after research and my buddy at my lfs talking to me about it. With the loss I decided to rescape the tank, thinking about finally starting that journal, whatcha think?

Thanks for the suggestion on the butterfly pleco, my only worry would be that my water isn't super oxygenated, I don't use airstones or anything like that, even though my c02 tank is big I think if I did use an airstone it would displace too much of it.

Thoughts/suggestions are welcome

-E

AmazonJoe
12-19-2015, 07:40 PM
You could always get a dissolved o2 test and find out for sure

Altima05r
12-19-2015, 07:46 PM
You could always get a dissolved o2 test and find out for sure

I have a drop checker in my tank, I suppose I could run an airstone to see -scratches head-