PDA

View Full Version : Weird pleco disease?

claire.chapman11
12-13-2015, 04:19 AM
At the store I work at, our plecos have developed some weird kind of illness. It looks like they are rotting and decomposing while alive, and then they die within a day. Does anyone have any idea what's going on? Its really gross and kinda terrifying.

Altima05r
12-17-2015, 02:13 PM
It could possibly be a bacterial infection, possibly due to dress when they arrived in your store, could have been something that came from the breeder. If you work in a fish store it could also be previously left over harmfulbacteria from other fish or another infected fish in the tank? It's hard to say without more details, but it sounds like an advanced stage of fin rot. If this is the case tetracycline might be the solution. Hopefully they all get better, let us know how it goes.

-E

mommy1
12-17-2015, 03:00 PM
What sort of tank and filter maintenance is done on the tanks at work? Any idea on the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels?

claire.chapman11
12-20-2015, 02:37 AM
The other fish guy has decided its a fungus. It seems to only affect the bristlenose plecos. Most of them died off. The filtration is complicated, as all the tanks are essentially broken up into 3 big systems. I just started there, so I couldn't tell you the specifics. The parameters are all good, 0 ammonia 0 nitrites and around 20 nitrates (ppm). It must have been a bad batch from the breeder, because we never had any problems until those bristlenose came in.

Boundava
12-20-2015, 05:06 AM
This is horrible to hear, I hope you guys can get it figured out...have you contacted the breeder to see if he has had issues on his end?

madagascariensis
12-20-2015, 04:40 PM
I can only think of one aquarium disease that acts that rapidly: columnaris. It's a bacterial infection that can supposedly kill unaffected fish within hours of infection, although a few days seems more typical with initially healthy, unstressed fish (which the store plecos likely aren't). Now pictures or a more detailed description would be helpful, but columnaris is frequently mistaken for a fungal infection because infected fish also develop a white-grey slimy fuzz, and this diagnosis seems to be supported by "the other fish guy" thinking it looks like a fungus.

Not too many antibiotics work against columnaris, partially due to its rapid growth. Kanamycin seems to work in my experience, so do non-specific sterilizers like hydrogen peroxide or glutaraldehyde (paraguard).

claire.chapman11
12-21-2015, 12:54 AM
I can only think of one aquarium disease that acts that rapidly: columnaris. It's a bacterial infection that can supposedly kill unaffected fish within hours of infection, although a few days seems more typical with initially healthy, unstressed fish (which the store plecos likely aren't). Now pictures or a more detailed description would be helpful, but columnaris is frequently mistaken for a fungal infection because infected fish also develop a white-grey slimy fuzz, and this diagnosis seems to be supported by "the other fish guy" thinking it looks like a fungus.

Not too many antibiotics work against columnaris, partially due to its rapid growth. Kanamycin seems to work in my experience, so do non-specific sterilizers like hydrogen peroxide or glutaraldehyde (paraguard).
I looked up columnaris and I think you're right. I will let everyone know. Thank you!

claire.chapman11
12-21-2015, 12:55 AM
This is horrible to hear, I hope you guys can get it figured out...have you contacted the breeder to see if he has had issues on his end?
Probably not. I'm a new employee, so I'm not allowed to do such a thing, and unfortunately the senior employees don't care enough to do so. They all died off. :(